PDA

View Full Version : QR works, and what a last quarter.

Grits
07-19-2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/114892.html

Quality Road went in fractions of 12.52 seconds, 24.17, 35.45, and got his last quarter in 23.33. He galloped out six furlongs in 1:11.60, and seven-eighths in 1:25.42.

"He actually worked faster on his own than he would have in company," Pletcher said. "She wanted to make sure she got him into the bridle and focused and he was very focused. I think he worked as well as a horse could possibly work. It was a monster work."

Trouble on the track with a delay due to another horse and with his workmate--he goes alone instead. WOW, does he go!

(Both mares are fine, but they'd better pick their hooves up--bigtime--if they're gonna go roll by this fella in November. Rachel won't hold him off on the front end and Zenyatta'll be lookin' at butt and shoes.)

Robert Goren
07-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Is it just me? I just don't get this Quality Road hype. His record is pretty pale when compared to either of the two mares.

Grits
07-19-2010, 08:39 AM
RG, what is it you don't get about speed, darlin'?:lol:

Stevie Belmont
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Maybe you just don't get it...

Is it just me? I just don't get this Quality Road hype. His record is pretty pale when compared to either of the two mares.

Kimsus
07-19-2010, 12:41 PM

People seem to gravitate towards flashy beyers and flashy wins over suspect competition.

Tom
07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
As opposed to flashy workouts.

Kimsus
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
As opposed to flashy workouts.

Have you ever liked a Frankel runner? His works were rarely if ever flashy. But they could run when it came time to run.

Hedevar
07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Have you ever liked a Frankel runner? His works were rarely if ever flashy. But they could run when it came time to run.

Simply different methods of training. A matter of choice. No one is saying which one is better. Different strokes.

Kimsus
07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Simply different methods of training. A matter of choice. No one is saying which one is better. Different strokes.

Yes different trainers have different methods, I am more interested in the description of the works than just seeing .58 B for instance on the tote. Which could mean many things in the end result, some horses work too fast and this translates into their races, having very little resistance in the lane.

PaceAdvantage
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
flashy wins over suspect competition.Funny stuff...

Kimsus
07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Funny stuff...

Sadly, it is.

Grits
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Neither are Asmussen's. A few of his have been known to kick in when it counted, too.

Kimsus
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Neither are Asmussen's. A few of his have been known to kick in when it counted, too.

Yep, alot of top trainer's don't have bullets in their workouts. Baffert is the only top guy that comes to mind that usually does.

The_Knight_Sky
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
.... I am more interested in the description of the works .....

In this case, I'm more interested in his demeanor approaching the starting gate.

All of this flash will go for naught if he decides that he does not like
the Saratoga starting gate in the hectic atmosphere upstate.

And that gate crew is famous for scratching out 2-3-4 horses
right then and there every racing day. Wonderful. :)

cpitt84
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
zenyatta will still catch him. although, mike smith may not want to be 10 lengths off QR lead.

46zilzal
07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
This one is the closest to Fager I have ever seen since Ack Ack.

joanied
07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Would love to have seen that work...Whitney can't get here fast enough...why would anyone want to try and find something wrong with this latest wrok from QR...and I guess if his competition is supect, that would kind of relate to the competition any and all of the good horses in traing are facing...he runs with whoever is entered...and wins:ThmbUp:

What I'm wondering, and maybe we'll have an answer after the Lady's Secret...will Rachel run in the Personal Ensign...Life at Ten is pretty damned good!!

tucker6
07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I like QR very much, but wouldn't put him in the same sentence as the Doctor. yet. He still has a lot to prove. Besides, his handlers keep trying for length when he is best at 7F and 8F. I hope he doesn't run in the BCC, but instead goes for the Mile.

joanied
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I like QR very much, but wouldn't put him in the same sentence as the Doctor. yet. He still has a lot to prove. Besides, his handlers keep trying for length when he is best at 7F and 8F. I hope he doesn't run in the BCC, but instead goes for the Mile.

Might not ever be able to do that, tucker...he was truly one of those 'freaks'. I think you're right...the Mile would suit QR just fine!! But...they will run him in the Classic...I'd bet on that:)

Vinnie
07-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Quality Road has set track records at what a mile and an 1/8th and 6.5 furlongs. Talk about one brilliantly versatile and extremely gifted horse. When he is himself, I don't know if any horse presently on the planet can run with him. I haven't been fortunate enough to have been to so many races all over the place like many on this board over the years, but, personally speaking he is the most talented horse that I myself have seen. I can't wait for the Whitney either.

Go QR!! :)

andtheyreoff
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Says the guy who mentioned every day last year to keep Rachel in perspective.

Hanover1
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Given the spacing between his starts, this is what I look for in his works....good job Todd :ThmbUp:

joanied
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Quality Road has set track records at what a mile and an 1/8th and 6.5 furlongs. Talk about one brilliantly versatile and extremely gifted horse. When he is himself, I don't know if any horse presently on the planet can run with him. I haven't been fortunate enough to have been to so many races all over the place like many on this board over the years, but, personally speaking he is the most talented horse that I myself have seen. I can't wait for the Whitney either.

Go QR!! :)

I can't see QR blowing the Whitney...don't care who esle runs...he's as sharp as he can be it seems...Vinnie, maybe a lot of us have had the priveledge to see some of the greats...your 'history book' is just starting, and seeing QR is a great start to some incredible memories.
I ditto your sentiment...Go, QR, go :jump:

SmartyLane
07-19-2010, 09:29 PM
QR has been my favorite horse running for some time now. I was soooo disappointed to see what happened in the BCC last year. I didn't have a lot of faith in him winning that race due to the synthetic and the field and the distance. I wanted to think he could but thought there was too many variables up against him.

NOW....I really think he will be extra tough to beat even at 1-1/4. At a 1-1/4 I think Rachel will get cooked. Z will be coming hard..........boy I sure hope the race happens with those 3 along with the other contenders. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Never been to CD but making the trip this year. Last years BCC was the best sports moment I have ever personally been to. Heres to having another eventful one. Probably looking too far ahead but I can hope!!

tucker6
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
QR has been my favorite horse running for some time now. I was soooo disappointed to see what happened in the BCC last year. I didn't have a lot of faith in him winning that race due to the synthetic and the field and the distance. I wanted to think he could but thought there was too many variables up against him.

NOW....I really think he will be extra tough to beat even at 1-1/4. At a 1-1/4 I think Rachel will get cooked. Z will be coming hard..........boy I sure hope the race happens with those 3 along with the other contenders. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Never been to CD but making the trip this year. Last years BCC was the best sports moment I have ever personally been to. Heres to having another eventful one. Probably looking too far ahead but I can hope!!
I think there's a good chance (maybe 30%) that none of the horses you mentioned come out of the gate at the start of this year's BCC. Just a hunch. I think RA has the best chance to start, followed by QR, and then Z. I'd bet money that all three will not start.

Vinnie
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Joanied:

How are you? Thanks for the nice post, I appreciate it. You are right, I was just a kid and didn't even know or realize what horse racing really was when horses such as Secretariat, Sunday Silence, Affirmed, Alydar, Seattle Slew and countless other phenomenal horses before and since (far too many to mention here) were running. Unfortunately, I only have the benefit of being able to see them on film at this point in time. However, I am grateful that I can see them in this way of course. Honestly, I am just thrilled that I get to see a horse like QR do his thing hopefully on his own terms and very good health permitting.

Thanks again for your thoughtful post Joanied. :)

46zilzal
07-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Says the guy who mentioned every day last year to keep Rachel in perspective.
Yes having seen EVERY major runner since Tim Tam and being aware of those going back to Flying Childers, yes that is perspective.

READ what it says, "THE CLOSEST THING to Fager...." inherent in that statement is the reverence to which the good doctor is elevated in my humble opinion.

RA, in this discussion, would not be in the same arena.

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2010, 04:03 AM
This one is the closest to Fager I have ever seen since Ack Ack.And I thought some people overhyped Zenyatta.

I guess wonders will never cease...now QR is the closest to Dr. Fager since Ack Ack?

Alrighty then.... :faint:

Hedevar
07-20-2010, 06:04 AM
And I thought some people overhyped Zenyatta.

I guess wonders will never cease...now QR is the closest to Dr. Fager since Ack Ack?

Alrighty then.... :faint:

There are some statements so outrageous that they should not be responded to. The fact is neither Ack Ack or Quality Road belong in the same sentence as Dr. Fager. 46 is way off and yes I have seen them all.

jonnielu
07-20-2010, 06:43 AM

Some men... you just can't reach.

jdl

Jasonm921
07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
zenyatta will still catch him. although, mike smith may not want to be 10 lengths off QR lead.

There in two different leagues right now. Judging off of her lone dirt race this year. She is about 20 lengths too slow.

Robert Goren
07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Some men... you just can't reach.

jdlI believe that horses become champions by winning races, lots of races, not by fast morning WOs. Maybe this fall he will prove himself, but to me his record pales compared to the mares. To me a few good Beyers does not prove all that much. Winning races does.

depalma113
07-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Ghostzapper would have eaten him for lunch.

Hedevar
07-20-2010, 08:18 AM
cpitt is a complete novice. I don't wnat to insult him but he has a lot to learn. You are right, Zenyatta is not even close to QR.

castaway01
07-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Yes, and Jason Bay is the closest to Joe DiMaggio I've seen since Fred Lynn.

jonnielu
07-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I believe that horses become champions by winning races, lots of races, not by fast morning WOs. Maybe this fall he will prove himself, but to me his record pales compared to the mares. To me a few good Beyers does not prove all that much. Winning races does.

Well, I put very little stock into work outs myself, it is nice to know that a horse has been working, but, it is also plain to see when the horse shows up on raceday. I've never put any stock in Beyers.

I don't pay a lot of attention to past performances myself, but those records have shown that Quality Road is a champion since April 2009. What he has done since is just further testimony.

When a horse does what several thousand other horses can't do, that's a champion, in whatever era you want to consider. In terms of the meaningful criteria, QR and Zenyatta stand out in their credentials. One is a colt, and one is a mare, those differences may be equalized in the 1 1/4 mile distance. So, come the fall we'll all be treated to one of those great horse races.

jdl

BluegrassProf
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
And I thought some people overhyped Zenyatta.

Alrighty then.... :faint:QFT x approx. 11,000.

Yes, and Jason Bay is the closest to Joe DiMaggio I've seen since Fred Lynn. :D

Kimsus
07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
QFT x approx. 11,000.

:D

Hey Blueprof,

Who is the fastest pony you have ever seen?

joanied
07-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Joanied:

How are you? Thanks for the nice post, I appreciate it. You are right, I was just a kid and didn't even know or realize what horse racing really was when horses such as Secretariat, Sunday Silence, Affirmed, Alydar, Seattle Slew and countless other phenomenal horses before and since (far too many to mention here) were running. Unfortunately, I only have the benefit of being able to see them on film at this point in time. However, I am grateful that I can see them in this way of course. Honestly, I am just thrilled that I get to see a horse like QR do his thing hopefully on his own terms and very good health permitting.

Thanks again for your thoughtful post Joanied. :)

:) You are very welcome, Vinnie...hope you have a camera so you can get photos...have a wonderful time...afterall, this IS the time of your life:jump:

Kimsus
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM

My only criticism of him, is he didn't race more frequently.

46zilzal
07-20-2010, 11:52 AM
no one or the other would crack

46zilzal
07-20-2010, 11:54 AM
There in two different leagues right now. Judging off of her lone dirt race this year. She is about 20 lengths too slow.
FINAL time means zip to a deep closer, always has

Kimsus
07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
no one or the other would crack

Had he raced more than the 11 times in his career, I am sure someone would have cracked him. He was raced very sporadically over a 3 year career span and though he was incredibly fast on the track his entire career was easier than Secretariat's 3 yr old season. He's not even close to Secretariat in my estimation. Ghostzapper was a pampered rich kid in comparison, babied and coddled.

BluegrassProf
07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey Blueprof,

Who is the fastest pony you have ever seen? :D What's the relevance? This isn't about me - again. Why misdirect from the pretty clear superhyping of a very talented horse in Quality Road?

For pete's sake, it's like a select few are hopping from one Express Train to Greatness to another. You'd think that people would be sensitive to that behavior, especially lately...perhaps I'm doling out too much credit.

Quality Road is an excellent horse, but c'mon now - a little perspective never hurt anyone.

Kimsus
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
:D What's the relevance? This isn't about me - again.

Why misdirect from the pretty clear superhyping of a very talented horse in Quality Road?

For pete's sake, it's like a select few are hopping from one Express Train to Greatness to another. You'd think that people would be sensitive to that behavior, especially lately.

A little perspective never hurt anyone.

No, it was a honest question of who you regard as the best horses you have seen.

BluegrassProf
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
No, it was a honest question of who you regard as the best horses you have seen.Then it has no place diluting the thread...we can have this discussion later.

Stevie Belmont
07-20-2010, 01:38 PM
It's The Quality Road Show—August 7, 2010 @ The Spaaaaaaaaaa

joanied
07-20-2010, 04:06 PM
It's The Quality Road Show—August 7, 2010 @ The Spaaaaaaaaaa

:jump: :jump: WoooooooWooooooooo:jump: :jump: it's gonna be dyn-oooo-mite:ThmbUp:

RXB
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Did you do a Rip Van Winkle during 1977 and 1978?

zZFr6N2lNY4

cpitt84
07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
cpitt is a complete novice. I don't wnat to insult him but he has a lot to learn. You are right, Zenyatta is not even close to QR.

If QR and Zenyatta run in the classic, you will see! :)

Hedevar
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
If QR and Zenyatta run in the classic, you will see! :)

OK, I'm still willing to learn.