PDA

View Full Version : Just Plain Dumb

misscashalot
07-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Dumb Plays
Sometimes I make smart plays and sometimes they just plain dumb.

I ask myself if they're dumb or smart after they are run, or are they just plain dumb to begin with?
:confused:

kenwoodall2
07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Dumb Plays

I ask myself if they're dumb or smart after they are run, or are they just plain dumb to begin with?
:confused:
Only dumb if you overlook the obvious like a longshot with a specialty!

thaskalos
07-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Dumb Plays

:confused: They are only dumb...if you don't learn from them.

Robert Goren
07-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Dumb mistakes pop up all the time. The trick is to figure out after the fifth or sixth time that you are making it. It is very rare for a person to figure it out the first time. You should constantly be asking yourself "How dumb is this?" That is not only true of gambling, but of life in general.

lamboguy
07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
we are only humans, we all make dumb plays, the idea is to try to limit the amount of dumb plays.

markgoldie
07-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Here's a couple to avoid for the rest of your handicapping career:

Never, ever play a horse to win at odds of 1-1 or less.

Never, ever put a clear favorite on the top spot of a vertical gimmick ticket.

When the urge to do so strikes, get up, walk to the nearest wall and slam your head against it as hard as you can. Hopefully you will regain consciousness after the betting pools have closed.

Never, ever play a horse to show unless you are playing contrarian to a bridge-jumper. When the urge strikes, consult the wall as above. ;)

redeye007
07-18-2010, 11:40 AM
If you are using handicapping software, believe your computer when it picks longshots.

Fingal
07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
When it happens in your favor, just grin & accept it since the money spends the same as if you burned the midnight oil to find a winner.

Effort without results, just effort.
Results without effort, still results.

thespaah
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
How about..."DAMN.....I SAW THAT.....Why didn't I play it!!!!"
To me that's every bit as dumb as making a idiotic bet. Mine is stupidity by omission.

therussmeister
07-18-2010, 09:46 PM
That's why you will never see me complaining about a jockey's ride. Until I can handicap 100 consecutive races without making a stupid bet (or stupid non-bet), I grant the jockey's the right to be human.

thespaah
07-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Here's a couple to avoid for the rest of your handicapping career:

When the urge to do so strikes, get up, walk to the nearest wall and slam your head against it as hard as you can. Hopefully you will regain consciousness after the betting pools have closed.

Never, ever play a horse to show unless you are playing contrarian to a bridge-jumper. When the urge strikes, consult the wall as above. ;)
Stab yourself in the back of the hand with a pencil..But only deep enough to make it hurt for 25 mins

salty
07-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Stab yourself in the back of the hand with a pencil..But only deep enough to make it hurt for 25 mins

Even better, use the losing ticket and give yourself a paper cut on any finger joint that way you will remember that dumb idea long enough to remember it.

LottaKash
07-19-2010, 04:34 AM
I say "focus" on what you know, and play "only" what you know about what works and wins races...Otherwise, have a ready answer as to why you are making this "new kind" of play, and then live with it, and then learn from it....That way, it won't seem so dumb...

The truth will lead the way...:cool:

best,

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
I believe that , at least for my part, when I am prepared and my work is completed, generally the night before, I have my daily plays listed and the only factors that would affect changing my plays would be price or a distinct track bias (does not happen too often). This way I avoid most dumb plays....but not all! LOL

JohnGalt1
07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
As I see it, there are 4 categories of betting.

1) Smart bet-good results. The long shot you liked for logical reasons that you bet wins.

2) Smart bet-bad results. The long shot you liked for logical reasons that bet loses.

3) Stupid bet-good results. Any mistake, misreading the form or program and betting the wrong number, odds too low for you like playing a $32 trifecta or pick 3 that pays $49. Or $1,000 to show on a 1-5 and collecting $1,050

4) Stupid bet-bad results. Playing a $32 trifecta or pick 3 and losing, that would've paid $28 if it won. Betting $1,000 to show that loses.

I've done all 4. I could name more examples for each category. I'm sure many of you can add more.

completebill
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=markgoldie]Here's a couple to avoid for the rest of your handicapping career:

Some good thoughts, IN GENERAL. BUT---I would add that you should NEVER, EVER rigidly and blindly apply someone else's "never, ever" rules!!!

I have seen situations in which it was wise indeed to bet a tri or a super with a clear fave on top, if you have very strong opinions on some very long shots in the under slots of the ticket.