PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga anyone?

LA Racing Lady
07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I am thinking of taking a trip to Saratoga in a couple of weeks. It will be my first time.

I know you people love food almost as much as horse racing, so where/what should we eat while at the track? How about in town? Any good places to eat there? Are there any inexpensive places to stay? Should we stay in Albany? Will the drive to and from Saratoga be worth the money saved on lodging?

Please post any "must-do" things while we are there. Thanks in advance!

sonnyp
07-17-2010, 07:52 PM
im sure you'll enjoy your first trip to saratoga. staying in town is really really expensive !!!! for me, albany is too far (35 miles and traffic). rte 87 (the adirondack northway) is your main travel route.

look into staying 1 or 2 exits south of the spa on rte 87 in the villages of malta or clifton park respectively. you'll be no more than a 2o minute straight shot on rte 87 from the finish line.

north from the track, look into glens falls or south glens falls on rte 87.

so you're looking at the following exits on rte 87 :

# 12 clifton park
# 13 malta
#14 & 15 saratoga
# 16 glensfalls

are you looking for old school new age dinning, burgers ? give us a direction for eating.

LA Racing Lady
07-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks Sonny. I have a couple of hotels to call that are on those exits that you mentioned. We like all food and would be willing to eat anything except food labeled as "cajun" and sold outside of Louisiana.

I'm getting really excited about this trip. I hope that we can make it happen.

sonnyp
07-17-2010, 09:41 PM
you haven't mentioned when you will be going. here are a few general tips.

i don't know how you are with crowds but some "big crowd" days can really detract from the overall experience. opening day, most saturdays(especially travers saturday) are very crowded and will not be a leisurely afternoon at the spa. GIVEAWAY SUNDAYS ARE A MUST AVOID, with traffic backed up for miles by people looking for a free baseball cap. NYRA.COM will give you a complete calendar of days, stakes and events.
tuesdays are the only dark day during the week so any monday, wednesday thru friday, and non giveaway sunday are great.

downtown saratoga (just 2 or 3 miles from the track) offers most of what you'll be looking for from burgers to fine dinning within walking distance. just park in a centrally located lot and you'll find just about anything. carolina street is kind of the focal point with music of all kinds, pubs and nightclubs.

you will find great steak, italian, oriental etc. right there but also there are some great old school places such as "the wishing well" just outside of town.

OTM AL a poster here has already arrived there and has a great opinion. im sure he'll be glad to fill you in on what's going on up to the minute.

the main thing you'll be amazed by is everything and everybody in town will be about one thing and one thing only.......the track and the horses.
from your first bite of breakfast to your last coctail the next morning that's all you'll hear about. where ever you go you'll be rubbing elbows with jocks, trainers, exercise people and owners. be prepaired its like nothing you've ever experienced before.

lastly, any morning before the races or on a dark tuesday take in the national museum of racing. must see. enjoy your trip. im sure you will.

Linny
07-17-2010, 10:20 PM
im sure you'll enjoy your first trip to saratoga. staying in town is really really expensive !!!! for me, albany is too far (35 miles and traffic). rte 87 (the adirondack northway) is your main travel route.

look into staying 1 or 2 exits south of the spa on rte 87 in the villages of malta or clifton park respectively. you'll be no more than a 2o minute straight shot on rte 87 from the finish line.

# 12 clifton park
# 13 malta
#14 & 15 saratoga
# 16 glensfallsare you looking for old school new age dinning, burgers ? give us a direction for eating.

#12/13 are Malta (hotels at Ex 12)
#9/10 Clifton Park (hotels are at ex 9)

Going north might be a bit less pricey and if you are going to be here for a Tuesday, you will be closer to Lake George. LG is a lovely lake, but don't bother with the town. Drive up the east side to Bolton or the West side to Cleverdale.

There are many nice restaurants in and around Saratoga.

Driving on the Northway (Rt 87) is not bad. It's direct and even on race days the traffic is not terrible. be sure to make time for a trip to the racing Museum (across the street from the track) and for a walk around town to look at the pretty houses and admire the history of the town in it's architecture.

I live in Albany and can get to the track in 35 minutes, but if you stay near the airport, it's about 10 minutes less. Exits 4-7 (Colonie and Latham) will have some hotels and are closer than Albany.

thespaah
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I am thinking of taking a trip to Saratoga in a couple of weeks. It will be my first time.

I know you people love food almost as much as horse racing, so where/what should we eat while at the track? How about in town? Any good places to eat there? Are there any inexpensive places to stay? Should we stay in Albany? Will the drive to and from Saratoga be worth the money saved on lodging?

Rentals of homes seem to slow down right before the meet. You may catch a last minute bargain.... Check www.homeaway.com.... (http://www.homeaway.com....)
Hotels/motels are expensive and some require 3 night stays on weekends.
If it's still there, there is a cute little motel on Rt 9 in Wilton which is about 7 miles north of the track. We stayed there a couple of times when we lived in NJ. There are also lodging opportunites in Queensbury( Exits 18 & 19) off the Northway.
Rates go up as you go south. Albany is pricey and then once you get to Lake George(to the north) the rates bounce again.
Best bet is to try the little out of the way places on RT9 between South Glens Falls and Wilton.
There are tons of places to eat on Broadway ( main drag) in Saratoga....
If you don't mind the drive. There is a little mom and pop place in Glens Falls called Poopies....No kidding. Best breakfast in the region. The owner cooks everything himself. It opens at 6am. He's closed on Mondays.
The Restaurant is at 54 Lawrence St, Glens Falls. I'ts at the corner of Cherry and Lawrence Sts just outside downtown Glens Falls.
When I lived in Northern NJ I though nothing of taking the 2.5 hr drive up to Saratoga. So if you're doing a day trip, no big deal. It really depends on where you're coming from.
If you're day tripping ,try to get to the track by 11:30 to get a decent parking place...NYRA lots are free but they tend to fill early and if you arrive after noon or 12.30 ,you'll end up parking at the far end of the Oklahoma Training Track. That's a loooooooooooooooooooooong walk

thespaah
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM

# 12 clifton park
# 13 malta
#14 & 15 saratoga
# 16 glensfalls

are you looking for old school new age dinning, burgers ? give us a direction for eating.
14 and 15 are the track exits......14 is Union Ave( NY29) which goes right by the main entrance to the track. Exit 15 is for NY 50 which becomes Broadway in Saratoga Springs..But a left on East Ave takes you right to the main grandstand entrance as well.
Exit 16 is the Wilton/ Gansevoort exit. Glens Falls is off exits 17N, 18 and 19.

Linny
07-17-2010, 11:14 PM
14 and 15 are the track exits......14 is Union Ave( NY29) which goes right by the main entrance to the track. Exit 15 is for NY 50 which becomes Broadway in Saratoga Springs..But a left on East Ave takes you right to the main grandstand entrance as well.
Exit 16 is the Wilton/ Gansevoort exit. Glens Falls is off exits 17N, 18 and 19.

If coming from the north, take exit 14. From the south I use 13N, but I am heading to the Gridley St. gate.

Edward DeVere
07-17-2010, 11:33 PM
NYRA lots are free but they tend to fill early and if you arrive after noon or 12.30 ,you'll end up parking at the far end of the Oklahoma Training Track. That's a loooooooooooooooooooooong walk

Of course, you can also park on half the lawns in town for a fee, which varies by proximity to the track.

alhattab
07-17-2010, 11:36 PM
LA: I'm sure there are many people on this board who have spent much time at Saratoga and are more than willing to give advice, but you need to be more specific else you will get too much broad advice and not enough that is specific to your budget and circumstances.

When are you going? What are you willing to pay for a hotel for the night? What do you like to do- go out drinking, a decent dinner after the races, a nice dinner after the races? Do you like to go out drinking? What kind of "accomodation" do you like at the track? Can you carry a cooler? Etc.

Everyone has their spots at the Spa. The racing, lodging and dining experiences run the gamut. In the case of the Spa, being specific is the key to getting good advice.

One thing I will suggest- stay in town. If you at all have the means, stay in Saratoga. The experience is completely different if you stay in town vs. down in Albany or even Malta. Malta and Clifton Park are ok- not Saratoga and you will pay premium prices- but not super premium. But there is nothing quite like getting out of bed early, heading to the track, getting out of there say at the renovation break and heading into town for breakfast, then back to your hotel for a swim, etc. Can you do this staying in Malta or Clifton Park? Yes. Will you feel hurried doing so? Yes. Stay in town if you can.

highnote
07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
I've stayed in Lake George many times. It's only about a 30 minute drive to the track. There are a lot of restaurants and shopping there.

Staying in Saratoga is the best option if you can find a place.

Igeteven
07-18-2010, 12:22 AM

That's the problem, everyone is going to the spa and to hell with Caifornia

W2G
07-18-2010, 09:39 AM
We like all food and would be willing to eat anything except food labeled as "cajun" and sold outside of Louisiana.

I'm getting really excited about this trip. I hope that we can make it happen.

You'll love Hattie's. Great southern food but being from LA you'll be the judge.
http://www.hattiesrestaurant.com/

Just outside of town for great ribs and chicken. Picnic tables.
http://www.pjsbarbq.com/

Splurge on some real relaxation.
http://www.thecrystalspa.net/

thespaah
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
You'll love Hattie's. Great southern food but being from LA you'll be the judge.
http://www.hattiesrestaurant.com/

Just outside of town for great ribs and chicken. Picnic tables.

Splurge on some real relaxation.
http://www.thecrystalspa.net/
Hattie's Yeah, Ate there a few years ago., Could not remember that name.
FUnny thing is I was wacthing this show about passenger trains and it featured the Montrealer. This runs daily from NYC to MTL and back.. The owner of Hattie's is a regular passenger on that train.

Ocala Mike
07-18-2010, 11:16 AM
FUnny thing is I was wacthing this show about passenger trains and it featured the Montrealer. This runs daily from NYC to MTL and back.

Must have been an old show; the Montrealer no longer runs. Saratoga Springs is served by two trains a day now, the Adirondack (NY-Montreal), and the Ethan Allen Express (NY-Rutland, VT). A train called The Vermonter runs over the route of the old Montrealer, but terminates at St. Albans, VT.

I'm hoping someday to take a rail trip to Saratoga from down here; on my bucket list.

Ocala Mike

Ocala Mike
07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Driive up the east side to Bolton or the West side to Cleverdale.

No, that's incorrect. Bolton Landing is on the WEST side of Lake George on Rte. 9N, and Cleverdale is opposite on the EAST side.

I stayed in Bolton Landing each year during the 80's when I worked for NY State as a pari-mutuel tax auditor.

Keeping it real.

Ocala Mike

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I know that Harvey Pack doesn't do the Siro's handicapping anymore. But do they still have different guys handicap there before the races? I would go see the horses exercise, take a tour of the backside, and then head to Siro's. Who had time to swim?!

Grits
07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I know that Harvey Pack doesn't do the Siro's handicapping anymore. But do they still have different guys handicap there before the races? I would go see the horses exercise, take a tour of the backside, and then head to Siro's. Who had time to swim?!

Edie, yes. The handicapping program at Siro's is now, "Talking Horses". Its held each morning at the Carousel Bar at the back of the grandstand.

Andy hosts it. With guests throughout the meet.

You'll see the throng of folks seated.

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Edie, yes. The handicapping program at Siro's is now, "Talking Horses". Its held each morning at the Carousel Bar at the back of the grandstand.

Andy hosts it. With guests throughout the meet.

You'll see the throng of folks seated.

Thanks, Grits. I shall find it. I'm a pretty pathetic bettor, but it's fun to hear people talk who have some knowledge. I can never get enough of racing people!

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Most importantly: are there still Ben&Jerry's stands? I can't wait for my first dish of B&J's chocolate! No, there aren't any anywhere in Elko, Nevada!

BombsAway Bob
07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Here's a list of Packages offered in the area:
http://www.saratoga.org/visitors/packages.asp#summer
i stay at The Top Hill, Rt.9, about 3min. from the SPAC,
Harness/Slots, & Saratoga Race Course. Family owned,
clean rooms, pool, TVG & HBO,& next door to PJ's BBQ!
http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/Saratoga-Motel-Pic.jpg http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-bed-1.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-1.htm)http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-bed-2.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-2.htm)http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-bed-3.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-3.htm)http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-pool.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-pool.htm) Click on Small Image to See Larger Image

Linny
07-18-2010, 04:32 PM
No, that's incorrect. Bolton Landing is on the WEST side of Lake George on Rte. 9N, and Cleverdale is opposite on the EAST side.

I stayed in Bolton Landing each year during the 80's when I worked for NY State as a pari-mutuel tax auditor.

Keeping it real.

Ocala Mike

You are correct, my dislexia kicked in again. Bolton is on the west side. I ought to know, I've spent 1/2 the summer thus far in Clerverdale and strangely enough, I have not gotten lost once.

jefftune
07-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Definitely head to the track in the AM for Breakfast at Saratoga. Opens at 7:00 AM. It's free admission - bring your own breakfast and sit in the clubhouse boxes to watch the workouts. Host Mary Ryan points out trainers , jockeys, and even some horses. I saw Mine That Bird and Summer Bird on the track last summer.
There actually is good food at the track. Restaurant Row features offerings from four local restaurants. Hattie's will have their own stand this year. It really is the best fried chicken around! I always have to hit the chowder bar for that yummy clam chowder. There's a Ben & Jerry's stand at the track!

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Definitely head to the track in the AM for Breakfast at Saratoga. Opens at 7:00 AM. It's free admission - bring your own breakfast and sit in the clubhouse boxes to watch the workouts. Host Mary Ryan points out trainers , jockeys, and even some horses. I saw Mine That Bird and Summer Bird on the track last summer.
There actually is good food at the track. Restaurant Row features offerings from four local restaurants. Hattie's will have their own stand this year. It really is the best fried chicken around! I always have to hit the chowder bar for that yummy clam chowder. There's a Ben & Jerry's stand at the track!

I love that last sentence!

Also I tried that big fancy breakfast in the morning, but it drove me NUTS (not a far drive!) cuz I couldn't hear Mary Ryan well or see the horses well. I had it figured out pretty fast to just grab coffee and donuts as soon as I came in, and head right upstairs. I bet I was usually happily there around 6AM and saw lots of well-known horses.

joanied
07-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Most importantly: are there still Ben&Jerry's stands? I can't wait for my first dish of B&J's chocolate! No, there aren't any anywhere in Elko, Nevada!

or Powell, Wyoming:mad: ...have a dish for me!!

joanied
07-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Also I tried that big fancy breakfast in the morning, but it drove me NUTS (not a far drive!) cuz I couldn't hear Mary Ryan well or see the horses well. I had it figured out pretty fast to just grab coffee and donuts as soon as I came in, and head right upstairs. I bet I was usually happily there around 6AM and saw lots of well-known horses.

Oooooooo...donuuuuuuts :) :ThmbUp: (haven't had a good donut since I left NY)

You guys are killin' me....I wanna be there:faint:

Vinman
07-18-2010, 08:06 PM

And for the true Ben & Jerry's devotee who must have "access" after track hours, there's the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop, located right in the middle of town at 34 Phila Street, one block down the street from Broadway and the Adelphi Hotel. I believe they're open till 11pm. George Steinbrenner used to stop in at least once a year according to the counter folks.

I also once heard that either Ben or Jerry used to work as a night watchman at Saratoga racecourse.

Vinman

thespaah
07-18-2010, 08:34 PM

Also I tried that big fancy breakfast in the morning, but it drove me NUTS (not a far drive!) cuz I couldn't hear Mary Ryan well or see the horses well. I had it figured out pretty fast to just grab coffee and donuts as soon as I came in, and head right upstairs. I bet I was usually happily there around 6AM and saw lots of well-known horses.At your service..... here are the closest Ben Jerry's...
Ben & Jerry's Lake George (javascript:void(0);)
170 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
518-668-5242

Ben & Jerry's Saratoga (javascript:void(0);)
34 Phila Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-584-3740.....This one is right in downtown Saratoga Springs....

thespaah
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Oooooooo...donuuuuuuts :) :ThmbUp: (haven't had a good donut since I left NY)

You guys are killin' me....I wanna be there:faint:No Dunkin Donuts in Wyoming?....Oh you poor soul.....
Ok, right now....You must start planning for next year..You will figure out how you are going to rotate back to the world....

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 08:48 PM
And for the true Ben & Jerry's devotee who must have "access" after track hours, there's the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop, located right in the middle of town at 34 Phila Street, one block down the street from Broadway and the Adelphi Hotel. I believe they're open till 11pm. George Steinbrenner used to stop in at least once a year according to the counter folks.

I also once heard that either Ben or Jerry used to work as a night watchman at Saratoga racecourse.

Vinman

Bless you!

alhattab
07-18-2010, 09:54 PM
We like all food and would be willing to eat anything except food labeled as "cajun" and sold outside of Louisiana.

A few have recommended Hattie's. I woke up this morning thinking I should write back recommending that you do NOT go to Hattie's given this excerpt from what you wrote. I imagine you will be disappointed because they claim to serve "Southern and Louisiana cuisine". As posters have noted, they are best known for their fried chicken though and have a restaurant in town on Phila (one of the main side streets off main drag Broadway. Other primary side streets are Caroline and Lake) and a stand at the track. The Saratoga on-track dining experience is unique. Check out the nyra.com website for details.

I don't get out for dinner much- we usually bring in back to the hotel from either Mama Mia's or Mexican Connection. Country Corner Cafe is good breakfast place, as is the Horseshoe right across from the stable gate. The Horseshoe is my preference for apre racing.

Take a look at the Adirondack Inn if you want to stay in town but maybe get a bit lesser rate than the downtown joints. They shuttle guests to/from the track. I stay there every year. Out of town for lower rates I've always preferred Wolf Rd in Albany- you're on the Northway in minutes and there are a few establishments around.

Agree with other posters- go for "breakfast" but bring in your own whatever.

You need to be prepared for a day at Saratoga. I'll never forget my first "solo" trip there- with my best friend and my girlfriend at the time (now wife). We were clueless and showed up with a bucket of KFC, no chairs, no blanket, no nothing. It was Jim Dandy day and we got there around 2:00. We set up shop on a small plot of grass (it was early in the meet so the backyard still had grass).

If you are spending time in the picnic area, know that the track gates open at 7am and many people will bring a table cloth or whatever to put on a picnic table. When you go back for the afternoon your table will be there waiting for you. This is a respected tradition at Saratoga and is almost always upheld. Just don't go too late after first post. Bring you own anything, except glass- no glass whatsoever.

If you want reserved seats, you can get them during the week. On weekends you may be able to pick some up from people hanging around the reserved seat window or at one of the hotels in town (I've never tried either).

Have a great trip there is really nothing like spending some time in Saratoga. The longer the better. Enjoy!

LA Racing Lady
07-18-2010, 10:43 PM
At your service..... here are the closest Ben Jerry's...
Ben & Jerry's Lake George (javascript:void(0);)
170 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
518-668-5242

Ben & Jerry's Saratoga (javascript:void(0);)
34 Phila Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-584-3740.....This one is right in downtown Saratoga Springs....

:ThmbUp:

Forgive my ignorance, but is having Ben & Jerry's at the track or in town better than buying a pint at my local grocer? Do I need to begin a new thread asking for favorite ice cream flavors? I like Chunky Monkey.

appistappis
07-19-2010, 12:53 AM
can you bet the other tracks....is there any type of teletheatre etc. inside.

Vinman
07-19-2010, 01:05 AM
:ThmbUp:

Forgive my ignorance, but is having Ben & Jerry's at the track or in town better than buying a pint at my local grocer? Do I need to begin a new thread asking for favorite ice cream flavors? I like Chunky Monkey.

At the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop in town, you have the entire vast menu of treats that you'd expect to find at any ice cream emporium. As for your favorite flavor, I'm sure you'll be able to find it at the scoop shop or by the pint at Price Chopper or the Stewarts Shops (7-11 type stores) around the area.

Vinman
07-19-2010, 01:14 AM
can you bet the other tracks....is there any type of teletheatre etc. inside.

Saratoga Racecourse offers simulcasting from a number of tracks, although there is no dedicated "Teletheater" per se. If the creature comforts of simulcasting, such as air conditioning and individual carrells with your own TV are what you seek, your best option is the second floor of the Racino, about half a mile down Nelson Ave from the "Mothership". No charge for parking / admission and they take a lot more tracks.....open till midnight.

Kelso5Time
07-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Any hints/ suggestions on getting from my motel on Broadway to the track in a timely fashion? Which cab companies are reliable? I know it's only about a mile, but I don't know if the weather will be cooperating. I'll be arriving from the Albany airport about 2:00 PM and want to get to the track ASAP!

appistappis
07-19-2010, 08:59 PM
vinman, thanks...simulcasting is fine....I'm probably the only guy who drives to saratoga to bet finger lakes, indiana downs etc.

1GCFAN
07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Saratoga usually closes the simulcasting about 1/2 hour after the last race. Saratoga Harness is a comfortable facility for more simulcasting action.

sonnyp
07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
starting friday, "annnnnnd..........they're off !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ejUZ0pa7A

thespaah
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
SImulcasting is available. To my knowledge there is no separate teletheatre within the grandstands.

thespaah
07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Any hints/ suggestions on getting from my motel on Broadway to the track in a timely fashion? Which cab companies are reliable? I know it's only about a mile, but I don't know if the weather will be cooperating. I'll be arriving from the Albany airport about 2:00 PM and want to get to the track ASAP!Google.....Enter the motel address then expand the map to include the Racecourse. Depnds on which end of Broadway the Motel is nearest the Track.
I have never heard any major complaints about the cabbies there.
Are you going to the track directly from the airport?
And are you cabbing it throughout your stay?
Or are you renting a car but just taking cabs to the track?

alhattab
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Saratoga usually closes the simulcasting about 1/2 hour after the last race. Saratoga Harness is a comfortable facility for more simulcasting action.

I believe it is NY law that cuts off the t'bred simulcasts at t'bred tracks @ 7pm.

To the guy coming from Albany Airport, why not just go straight to the track or just drop off your stuff at the hotel and have the car from the Airport take you there?

Kelso5Time
07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Google.....Enter the motel address then expand the map to include the Racecourse. Depnds on which end of Broadway the Motel is nearest the Track.
I have never heard any major complaints about the cabbies there.
Are you going to the track directly from the airport?
And are you cabbing it throughout your stay?
Or are you renting a car but just taking cabs to the track?

I have hired a limo service to get me to my motel, then will head to the track after I check in and stow my gear. I'm meeting SmartyParty at the track and she will have a rental car, so I'm set for the rest of my stay. So should I just have the clerk at the motel desk call a cab for me? Thanks for your help, I was just wondering which cab companies to trust.

Stevie Belmont
07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
PJ's BBQ

A stay in Saratoga is not complete without a stop here.

joanied
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
starting friday, "annnnnnd..........they're off !!!!

Sonnyp...just spent too much time watching the video you posted and several more there...looks like Saratoga has grown an awful lot...I hardly recognized the town!!
Thanks for posting this:)

Linny
07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
I just went back and looked at that video that sonnyp linked. I'm in it. I need to stay home more often.

joanied
07-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I just went back and looked at that video that sonnyp linked. I'm in it. I need to stay home more often.

he posted two...which are you in? What are ya wearing...I'll have a look:)

Linny
07-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Just after the 6:00 point, I walk by looking at my feet. Presumeably because I was on the horsepath! :D

joanied
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM

Just after the 6:00 point, I walk by looking at my feet. Presumeably because I was on the horsepath! :D

White dress?

Linny
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes.

1GCFAN
07-20-2010, 08:11 PM
ah! 10 days away for me!

pktruckdriver
07-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Any hints/ suggestions on getting from my motel on Broadway to the track in a timely fashion? Which cab companies are reliable? I know it's only about a mile, but I don't know if the weather will be cooperating. I'll be arriving from the Albany airport about 2:00 PM and want to get to the track ASAP!

Let the ex Trucker turned Cabbie tell you this one, there are 2 Cab Companies in town, Capitaland, (the one I work for) and Saratoga Taxi, both are realiable and honest, and also over a dozen small 1-2 car Mom and Pop services, just be out on Caroline Street late one Night after 2am and you see them line and it is a sight to see all of the jockeying for position.

By the way, as for a great Breakfast , one good enough for a trucker, try the Triangle Diner right in town, just about a 1/2 mile up 9 North, great food for my taste, and affordable for me.

Well enjoy your time up here and good luck at the Track, and if you need a Cab out of town while here , during the day of course, PM me and I see what I can do, otherwise the 2 Cabs I mentioned will do you right.

patrick

Rookies
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Everybody has their favourites in Saratoga. This is my 9th straight year and I'm addicted to the place. I wasn't sure what to expect before my first visit, having gone to some real dive tracks. And the OTBs in NY State remind me of the common area of Oz- the HBO series! But... upon arrival... a readjustment upwards... way upwards! :ThmbUp: Simply, one of the most beautiful overall areas I've visited in the U.S. and the track is a gem, built in the 1860s ( I believe) and rolls on for several hundred metres and on about 5 levels.

And then, there are the grandfathered rules, the best of which is that you can bring in as much food/ alcohol as you can carry- gratis! :cool: :ThmbUp: The Rookies' boys follow that one religiously! The only restriction since 9-11 is that glass is prohibited. Don't those H2O plastic bottles handle other liquids in a fine manner ? :lol: ;) Or... you can dine out in the comfort of the treed/cottaged areas in behind the track. Encroyable!

We generally stay north on 87 at various places mentioned here and Queensbury. Takes about 25 minutes to get down and through the back roads. I generally use Trip Advisor to narrow down the universe of Hotels, Dining & Events- anywhere. Take a look and then tailor your budget accordingly.

And when announcer Durkin opens at noon with:

" Ladies & Gentlemen... welcome to the Spaaaaaaaa"... you'll know you're home.

Charli125
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
I'll be there the first week of August, and it'll be my first trip. I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on here because there has been a lot of good information.

You guys have really got me excited...I can't wait to go now!

Lasix67
07-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I make the trip up every other year and it is Heaven on Earth!!!!!

BombsAway Bob
07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
The Malta Diner-Breakfast Menu, & prices (NOT jacked up for SPA meeting) http://www.maltadiner.com/breakfast.htm (http://www.maltadiner.com/breakfast.htm) Rt.9, Malta,NY (Exit 12 off N87)
~5min.from Saratoga Springs going Rt.9S, at the Roundabout.

Kelso5Time
07-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Thank you so much PK--I'll see how things are going when I get to the motel and then go accordingly. I'm staying at the Turf and Spa Motel, so I'm fairly close to the track anyway. I just want to get there as quickly as I can! I won't need any more transportation for the rest of the week, thankfully.
I also want to thank everyone on here for all of the great information. I am really getting excited about my trip!

Rico8812
07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Seems almost like a secret, but its fun to go to the racino after the races and eat in Fortunes overlooking the track and bet on the harness races. Races go off every 10 minutes and you can bet right at your table and the food is good taboot.