PDA

View Full Version : Book signing for They Call the Horses

SmartyParty
07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Tom Durkin has graciously agreed to sign copies of They Call the Horses with me at the National Museum of Racing in Saratoga on Aug. 3rd 10-noon. I am excited! And I look forward to meeting many of you!

joanied
07-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Smarty...I just asked in another thread about this book...now I know which one it is...where can I get a copy? (wonder if there is anything in there about Chic Anderson's messed :blush: up call for Foolish Pleasure's Derby win)...

SmartyParty
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Smarty...I just asked in another thread about this book...now I know which one it is...where can I get a copy? (wonder if there is anything in there about Chic Anderson's messed :blush: up call for Foolish Pleasure's Derby win)...

Yep! On page 5 Chic's call of the '75 Derby is mentioned. And Foolish is also in Dave Johnson's chapter. I think that your best bet to buy this book is to order it from the publisher: mcfarlandpub.com and ask for the last printing. I had Smarty Jones' Derby on May 2nd so they fixed that. It was driving me nuts! But it is less expensive on amazon.

joanied
07-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Yep! On page 5 Chic's call of the '75 Derby is mentioned. And Foolish is also in Dave Johnson's chapter. I think that your best bet to buy this book is to order it from the publisher: mcfarlandpub.com and ask for the last printing. I had Smarty Jones' Derby on May 2nd so they fixed that. It was driving me nuts! But it is less expensive on amazon.

Far out:) :ThmbUp: ...I'm going to check out Exclusivley equine, usually buy my books from them...also I'll try Amazon...always the cheapest place. We'll be harvesting our malt barley crop soon, and I haul the crop into the Budweiser recieving station...always a line of trucks down there, so I alwasy have a couple of books with me...this one will be there.
Thanks, SmartyParty...wish I could be at the book signing....wish I could be in Saratoga...great times up there:jump:

neumies boy
07-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Darn, I'll miss seeing you. Unless you're there before. I'll be at Saratoga from the 21st to the 28th. I'm attending the grand opening of Old Friends on the 22nd. And then showing a friend around Saratoga that weekend. How are the book sales doing? And thank you for the donation of the book to After the Finish Line's upcoming auction.

Judy

neumies boy
07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Joanied
Wish you could be at Saratoga, too! One of these days I'm going to make it for the entire meet. I'd love that!

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Far out:) :ThmbUp: ...I'm going to check out Exclusivley equine, usually buy my books from them...also I'll try Amazon...always the cheapest place. We'll be harvesting our malt barley crop soon, and I haul the crop into the Budweiser recieving station...always a line of trucks down there, so I alwasy have a couple of books with me...this one will be there.
Thanks, SmartyParty...wish I could be at the book signing....wish I could be in Saratoga...great times up there:jump:

So which tracks do you go to most frequently, Joanie? I know how few there are out here in the West! Yes, I wish we could meet up at The Spa!

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Darn, I'll miss seeing you. Unless you're there before. I'll be at Saratoga from the 21st to the 28th. I'm attending the grand opening of Old Friends on the 22nd. And then showing a friend around Saratoga that weekend. How are the book sales doing? And thank you for the donation of the book to After the Finish Line's upcoming auction.

Judy

Hi Judy! Let me know how After the Finish Line's auction does, ok? You sure do get around! Sorry to miss you but I don't get to Saratoga till the 30th after a LONG day of flying.

Edie

joanied
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Joanied
Wish you could be at Saratoga, too! One of these days I'm going to make it for the entire meet. I'd love that!

I'll be there in spirit :faint: ...which sucks....I wanna be there...all of me:D
Start saving your money right now, and next year spend the entire meet up there...
I especially wish I could be there for the Grand Opening of Bobby's division of Old Friends...
have a great time, Judy...if you have a camera, please take some photos at the Old Friends event and post them or send me some at my regular email...

joanied
07-18-2010, 12:07 PM
So which tracks do you go to most frequently, Joanie? I know how few there are out here in the West! Yes, I wish we could meet up at The Spa!

We'd have lots to talk about, eh!! :)
No tracks, I'm affraid...we sometimes spend a day at Yellowstone Downs in Billings, MT...only about a 90 minute drive for us. I can't even find the right words to express how much I miss being at a 'real' race track...especially my beloved Belmont...and times at Saratoga were like a vacation more than work... there just aren't any tracks out here...:( :mad: :(

Have a blast up there, Smarty...fun, fun, fun:jump:

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
We'd have lots to talk about, eh!! :)
No tracks, I'm affraid...we sometimes spend a day at Yellowstone Downs in Billings, MT...only about a 90 minute drive for us. I can't even find the right words to express how much I miss being at a 'real' race track...especially my beloved Belmont...and times at Saratoga were like a vacation more than work... there just aren't any tracks out here...:( :mad: :(

Have a blast up there, Smarty...fun, fun, fun:jump:

I sure hear you, Joanie. We have a track here in Elko that gets used two whole weekends around Labor Day for both Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds. But otherwise, I have to get on a plane to go the races!

joanied
07-18-2010, 02:00 PM
I sure hear you, Joanie. We have a track here in Elko that gets used two whole weekends around Labor Day for both Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds. But otherwise, I have to get on a plane to go the races!

:D some meet:rolleyes: ...Yellowstone Downs runs 4 weekends...and it's pretty much a dump. The grandstand needs paint, flowers and a good cleaning...the barns are falling apart and there isn't a blade of grass back there. I always feel bad for the guys running on these circuts...I don't know how they make ends meet. A lot of the trainers are native American. The jocks are a sorry bunch...the track is small, the turns are tight and you should see those guys pull their horses up when they hit the turns...it's pathetic.
We go just to support the place so these small timers can make a buck...and I don't bother handicapping any of the races when we go...I can see jocks 'playing hanky panky' from my seat in the grandstand :eek: so just to help keep the place from shutting down, we do bet...now, when we go, my brother and his family who live in Billings, meet us there...it's a riot watching my brother 'handicap' the races...I go to the windows and place a few bucks on all the long shots...either they pay, or they don't...I don't care...I usually get lucky with a couple winning, so get my money back...it's all just for fun anyway...my husband enjoys it because he & my brother drink beer all day:D

Wouldn't it be great if you, me, Judy, Grits and Winter Triangle could meet up at the Spa...that sure would be fun:jump:

SmartyParty
07-18-2010, 07:06 PM
:D some meet:rolleyes: ...Yellowstone Downs runs 4 weekends...and it's pretty much a dump. The grandstand needs paint, flowers and a good cleaning...the barns are falling apart and there isn't a blade of grass back there. I always feel bad for the guys running on these circuts...I don't know how they make ends meet. A lot of the trainers are native American. The jocks are a sorry bunch...the track is small, the turns are tight and you should see those guys pull their horses up when they hit the turns...it's pathetic.
We go just to support the place so these small timers can make a buck...and I don't bother handicapping any of the races when we go...I can see jocks 'playing hanky panky' from my seat in the grandstand :eek: so just to help keep the place from shutting down, we do bet...now, when we go, my brother and his family who live in Billings, meet us there...it's a riot watching my brother 'handicap' the races...I go to the windows and place a few bucks on all the long shots...either they pay, or they don't...I don't care...I usually get lucky with a couple winning, so get my money back...it's all just for fun anyway...my husband enjoys it because he & my brother drink beer all day:D

Wouldn't it be great if you, me, Judy, Grits and Winter Triangle could meet up at the Spa...that sure would be fun:jump:

There's always next year!

joanied
07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
There's always next year!

Yes, there is that...been saying I'm going for decades now...maybe next year it'll happen...think positive thoughts:ThmbUp: