PDA

View Full Version : Horse Movie

Tom
08-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Found a horse racing movie on HBO last night-Dead End, with Kiefer Sutherland of"24" fame. Unfortunatley, I fell asleep halfway through it.
Anyone seen this before? Looked pretty good while I lasted.
Hope it gets re-run.

racko
08-13-2003, 12:08 AM
its okay. more about how to get yourself controlled by the mob due to gambling. hbo shows it on a regular basis. go to hbo.com andd search for the next broadcast.

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2003, 08:14 AM
Actually, it's called "Dead Heat"

Valuist
08-13-2003, 10:06 AM
In the Racing Form about a month ago, they asked a bunch of different industry people what their favorite horse racing movie was. Not one vote for Let it Ride. Of course, they didn't interview any bettors.:(

VetScratch
08-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Valuist,

Although "Let It Ride" was purposefully a preposterous comic farce, buying a tape at Blockbuster should be a must for Terri Garr fans and everyone who has been to Hialeah. What a great classic track we are losing unless a miracle like "let It Ride" happens.

Shacopate
08-13-2003, 10:40 PM
I really enjoyed SHERGAR, based on the actual kidnapping of the wonder horse in the early eighties by the IRA. They demanded ransom and when the country refused to pay, the horse was never seen again.

SHERGAR is a romanticized tale of what might have happened.

MikeDee
08-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Let it ride is like Caddyshack both are great satires on their subject, unfortunately if you don't play the horses or golf, most of the humor is lost.

rmania
08-14-2003, 09:35 AM
Haven't seen Seabiscuit yet. So for now my favorite movie about "horse racing" is Casey's Shadow.

As for "gambling on horse races", my favorite movie is The Sting.

I also enjoyed The Simpson's episode where Homer went to the dog track and came home with a greyhound. :D

Valuist
08-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Vet Scratch-

Hialeah was a beautiful track. I haven't been there since the late 80s but I heard the neighborhood had gotten pretty rough. I didn't care for their exorbinant (sp?) takeout, however. I thought GP had a real nice meet this year, after 2002 was a major disappointment w/all the small fields. I would guess its about 2-5 we won't see racing at Hia again.