PDA

View Full Version : 50 Years of Saratoga Memories

sonnyp
07-16-2010, 12:50 AM
i'm 60. been going to saratoga since i was 10. doesn't seem possible that all those years have flown bye. allow me to day dream publicly. please add to, correct (memory does get blurred) me and embelish some wonderful days at "the spa" :

judgeable's front running victory as a 3 yo against older in the whitney ?

le prevoyant dazzling performances for montreal's jean louis leveque

"the hopeful" with irish castle,pontifax,al hatahb,proudest roman,
hatchet man, secretariat, riva ridge and oh so many more.

arts and letters, buckpasser, key to the mint, forego, shuvee, medaglia
d'oro

anybody remember the hobeau string trained by" the chief". blessing
angelica, duck dance, beaukins, onion and prove out.

hill rise/quadrangle...gun bow/mongo

whether you were hangin on the rail at the top of the stretch, out back eatin corn on the cobb or hatie's chicken you all have memories of those wonderful august afternoons when the worries of the day just didn't seem to matter that much. let's hear about some of them as we approach another chapter of memories.

Ocala Mike
07-16-2010, 07:59 AM
How could you leave out the darling of the Finger Lakes crowd, Fio Rito?

Alydar getting his number put up in 1978?

The off-track Travers where I needed Gulch, a superior mudder, to just hit the board and he ran out?

Ocala Mike

illinoisbred
07-16-2010, 08:07 AM
That's a wonderful set of memories-bet you still hear their hoofbeats too. At 54, I have similiar memories regarding Arlington and Hawthorne and I'm sure most here do at wherever they play. I think you've hit on something here that explains why its so difficult to turn younger generations into life-long fans-steady attendance at the outset is required for this sport to really get in your blood.

Vinman
07-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I made my Saratoga debut in 1992, my 40th year, on a one day round trip via Trailways bus from NYC. I'm now in my 14th year as a Clubhouse season ticket holder. I love going to Monmouth, half an hour from me, where I broke my "racing maiden" at 15. I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Elite Summer Meet".

But there is no racing experience like "The SPA". Its more than just the racing of course. A leisurely walk down Broadway on a gorgeous night, with a pit stop at the Adelphi or The Parting Glass....or Ben & Jerry's....fills in the picture. The Ben & Jerry's counter folks will tell you that George Steinbrenner used to stop in at least once a year.

I finally made it across the street to the Harness track in 2003, the last year before they began redoing it into the Racino. Now I enjoy going there often. Good steaks at Fortunes restaurant overlooking the track, BTW.

Vinman.....who will be waiting for a burger and a frozen custard at the new Shake Shack on opening day.

Tom
07-16-2010, 10:33 AM
My first was 1977 for the Alabama.
The place was packed.

eastie
07-16-2010, 10:46 AM
too many to count, though in the OP Duck Dance is mentioned. Super Mud !
I can remember renting the old Whitney Carriafge house for the meet one year and losing 23 out the 24 days I went. Thank God the winning day was a huge one. Some hoss named Girvanie or someothing like that. it was when the replay booth was still in action over across from the big tent, and the girl would play the tapes for you.The hoss was a second time starter. We watched the replay of his first race and he broke a little slow and was moving very nicely. Eddie Maple snatched her around the half mile pole, and the form had something like "outrun" for a comment. So she's in now. No one is at the track. It's like a rainy thursday or something. The track is off. there's a big shug a dugga fave and this Girvanie comes past us and has the best mud foot we've seen in a year. We bet out, the hoss rolls at 23-1. the shug guy runs second and we marry the exacta too. One of those would be awesome this year. Similiarly during another drought, this old Fred Hooper mare named Evaluating won a miracle headbob for me at 45-1. It's so cool when you're the only one who's screaming for the huge bomb when all around are yelling for the other guy. Saratoga is tough to beat for pure excitement. Lightning striking the toteboard, when you can actually see it happen. The big tent blowing all the way down to St Charles street before the Delaware one year. Watching Summer Squall bully his way through holes to win the 2 year old races in 89. The privilege to see Go For Wand win the Test and Alabama in 90. Still the most beautiful filly I've ever seen
She could make the sun come out when it was raining. When they took Affirmed down in the Travers (brutal) Watching Fourstardave and Fourstarallstar. Everything is so good. It's awesome having the best parking spot at the track for the past 30 years too. The best seats is another plus. my car is already packed for opening day. Woo Hoo !

offtrack
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM
My first year I parked under the trees at the track. Was immediately met by Wingy- the one armed handicapper. Paid five bucks for a marked up tip sheet, that did very poorly that day.

A horse named Hive went wire to wire, on bad knees. Early speed.

Harvey Pack did the pre-races show in the Shed in front of a small crowd.

Brad Free stalking winners, clip board in hand.

New name handicapper named Litfin put together a stats book for Saratoga. It was given out by the OTB shops across the state.

RaceBookJoe
07-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Great memories of Saratoga :

spending fun times with my dad
seeing Secretariat in person
the ambiance there...live music, meeting the jockeys, pretty girls
how disgusting i thought the mineral water was the 1st time i drank it
at 8 or 9 yrs old, actually handicapping a $36 horse !!!!!!

I will be there on closing day this year. write if anyone here will be also. rbj

sonnyp
07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
EASTIE

you really.....really LOVE it don't you ? wonderful...great for you and for us all.

bring on another chapter at saratoga !!!

BombsAway Bob
07-16-2010, 01:28 PM
First Year i went with Karen, not knowing the venue... Parked what seemed like 2 miles from track, with a Packed Cooler of iced down Beer in hand...
miserable weather...got there for opener... see a huge fave on toteboard...
Look at the Program... it's FREAKIN' LADYS SECRET!!!, running in the First?!?
Time-restricted Allowance...Chris McCarron riding... +$110K on her to show..
& she BOLTS going into the first turn, Chris is holding on for dear life,
hoping she don't decide to leap over the rail to SIROS...
What a way to start a LOVE AFFAIR with a racetrack!:faint:

Linny
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I was 10. I loved horses. My parents took me to Saratoga for breakfast on the porch. The announcer said, "ladies and gentlemen, Secretariat is on the race track." In less time than it took me to gulp my bacon, I was stuck to that fence looking for him. He cantered past twice. I had the imprint of chainlink fencing on me for the better part of the day. I was hooked.

My first Spa stakes race was the 1975 Adirondack, won by Optimistic Gal.

I'll never forget seeing Mack Miller and Paul Mellon together so many times standing under the trees at saddling time. They got a standing ovation when Sea Hero won the Travers. I can tell you almost to the floor board where I was when watching Java Gold win the Whitney and the Travers. I loved Who's to pay when he beat Steinlen.

Forego running last in a sloppy Whitney to Nearly On Time just broke my heart.

Sid Waters and Quick Call, who I saw almost as often together as Miller and Mellon.

Willow Hour sweeping the Jim Dandy/Travers double as an outsider, then Thunder Rumble repeating the feat.

General Asembly mowing down the Travers.

Running across the infield after watching the start of the Saratoga Special and getting there in time to see Conquistador Cielo win.

Chief's Crown dancing in the saddling area before the Hopeful.

Personal Ensign's Whitney.

A Phenomenon. I wish he staill had a race named for him. He was a freak and is buried at Clare Court.

Also there is Fourstardave. The last time my Mom went to the track was the day he won there at 2. (Empire Stakes, maybe?) Mom bet him because my brother's name is...Dave.

Having Serena's Song nip at me in her stall. She was a mean little dish.

Go For Wand in the Test and the Alabama.

Meeting Cigar, I gave him mints at his barn at Greentree.

The pleasure of seeing so many promising 2yo's every year, knowing that so many owners, trainers, grooms and fans are set to dreaming over the possibilities.

A parade of lovely horses down Gridley St each morning.

Quiet hours spent exploring the treasures of the Racing Museum library.

I have 100's of old programs and sometimes just pull them out and look at the names. I saw many stakes horses in allowance and maidens. I saw countless well bred fillies that eventually made history as broodmares. The best probably Mr. Mellon's Glowing Tribute, but there were those Courtly Dee fillies like Aquilegia and Aurora.

Thanks for starting this thread, now I am looking forward to next Friday.

See y'all there.

Java Gold@TFT
07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
First time was Secretariat's Whitney when I was 10 and the last time (so far) was Rachel Alexandra's Woodward. Every memory in between just brings me closer to anticipating this year's opening day. For some reasons the best memories were being in the paddock on the truly miserable rainy days - Travers - Willow Hour, General Assembly, Java Gold, etc, Whitney's - Lady's Secret, Personal Ensign. Then of course I was still a teenager when the infield was opened every weekend so that was a blast. I still really miss the saddling under the trees the most. The big walking ring and shelter in the paddock makes it so impersonal since they took the trees to expand the backyard concept. Not sure about opening day yet, but I'll be there as many times as the good Lord keeps my wallet full enough.

the little guy
07-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Going there with my Dad for the last couple of races, in 1974, the first summer we lived there.

I never left.

Gaelic Storm
07-16-2010, 05:25 PM
First time I went to Saratoga was 1983. My father told me to take a big drink at the Big Red Spring it is the best water ever......so I did. The first race that day was one by Weekend Surprise, I still have the program. I think her offspring were pretty good.

tucker6
07-16-2010, 07:32 PM
I just have to say I love the passion in this thread. The memories, I feel like I was there standing with you all. I was only 9 when Big Red was on the track. I wish I could have seen him in person. That must be a lifetime memory to have seen the best ever in his absolute prime, and then later, to see his offspring light up the track. What thrills that must be. :ThmbUp:

sonnyp
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I just have to say I love the passion in this thread. The memories, I feel like I was there standing with you all. I was only 9 when Big Red was on the track. I wish I could have seen him in person. That must be a lifetime memory to have seen the best ever in his absolute prime, and then later, to see his offspring light up the track. What thrills that must be. :ThmbUp:

ya know tucker, i was thinking the exact same thing. this saratoga thing is truly more than just a day at the track. it's memories of family, friends, good times and life the way we wish it could it could be everyday all the time. it's special and the thing that keeps it special is it only happens once a year for a few weeks...... then, it's back to the reality of our lives.

we live in such a rat race now, i think when we go through those gates on union ave. we leave a great deal of that outside. it's almost like a retreat to a place of simpler times that we know will be much the same as the year before and the year before that.

i wish everyone here could experience saratoga one time. it really has been a gift and from the depth and passion i also see in these posts, it has been greatly loved and appreciated by many.

jefftune
07-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I first went to Saratoga in 1991 and have visted every year since. So 2010 will be my 20-year anniversary! Lots of memories of awesome horses like With Anticipation, Thunder Rumble's Travers win, Colonial Affair's nose win in the Whitney, City Zip closing strongly to win the Hopeful (actually a dead heat). In that race the horses came on the track and went straight to the post! The sky was VERY dark. Minutes after the race there was a tremendous thunder and lightning storm. I'll never forget seeing Fourstardave over at Siro's in the AM for the dedication of Fourstardave Way! Breakfast at Saratoga is a must! It's so cool to see the Derby winner out for exercise in the AM.

Grits
07-17-2010, 12:28 AM
ya know tucker, i was thinking the exact same thing. this saratoga thing is truly more than just a day at the track. it's memories of family, friends, good times and life the way we wish it could it could be everyday all the time. it's special and the thing that keeps it special is it only happens once a year for a few weeks...... then, it's back to the reality of our lives.

we live in such a rat race now, i think when we go through those gates on union ave. we leave a great deal of that outside. it's almost like a retreat to a place of simpler times that we know will be much the same as the year before and the year before that.

i wish everyone here could experience saratoga one time. it really has been a gift and from the depth and passion i also see in these posts, it has been greatly loved and appreciated by many.

Sonny, this is why, at the end of each afternoon of racing, one doesn't leave, one doesn't gather up one's things--until after one's heard every lyric, every note of Billy Joel singing his, New York State Of Mind. Its the perfect piece of music to capture the feeling of Saratoga.

UZh8YjbDiVk

ENJOY.

Linny
07-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Java Gold's post reminded me of the John A Morris that was "thunderstormed out." I was in the paddock and lighning was flashing. We finally ran for cover in the clubhouse. I stepped under the awning with my right foot and as I did, it stared to our. My left foot was SOAKED! They announced the postponement a few moments later. Rose's Cantina won, a few days later.

Similar was the City Zip/Yonaguska Hopeful. Lightning flashing, thunder crashing and me with my son in a stroller, at the finish line.

How about the storm after the Birdstone Travers? I remember walking barefoot over to Oklahoma where my car was parked by he kitchen. The sandy dirt under inches of rain felt great on tired feet.

KingChas
07-17-2010, 01:12 AM
When I entered SaratogaSprings for the 1st time, it was like going through a secret door a time warp,something felt much different.
I found the track.
Payed my way thru and walked under the grandstand right to the fence.Just stared at the track,envisioned Man O War flying by me to finish line.
Turned just looked at the spires and grandstand envisioned a full house from the old days,suits ties and hats.
Sat down on a the bench and felt like I was in the clouds.
Asked my future wife am I in heaven.
She replied no,but it's the first time I have ever seen you stop and smell the roses. :)

Grits
07-17-2010, 08:43 AM
OH my goodness!!

Soooo nice to wake up, sit here with my coffee and get a little Saratoga. The morning routine in place now--every morning--starting this a.m. 'til the morning Zo and I head north.

Listening to Billy's melody, his fingers noodling over the keyboard, that outstanding sax solo and the Hammond B3 keeping a smooth groove in the background.

PA, thanks for embedding the video!

Saratoga is a state of mind. One that doesn't get any better anywhere on the planet.

Not the racing.

Not the track.

Not the music.

And, not the time spent with friends. :)

joanied
07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh, man,
This may be the best thread we've had in a long time...one where everyone is putting down their emotions in memories...I listened to New York Sate of Mind while reading through the posts...guys, I'm sittin' here, lost in a mist of memories and longing...and wondering, why did I ever leave the backside...my heart is still there, and I pine for those days to come back.
I hope I remember right, that we'd get an apartment in the Union Hotel...is it still there, on the main drag...see, my memory fades...we'd stable at Oklahoma, the stalls would have straw all winter and you could see where the Deer were sleeping...getting water from the old pump spigets, the hush of morning in the mist, the smell of grass, going to the Oklahoma track at night and laying on the ground looking up at the night sky...that was the first time I saw the night sky without city lights and could not beleive the stars...Yaddo Park and the year we planted something ;) there and couldn't find it the next summer (my crazy days)...and the races and the incredible horses, when a filly I rubbed won by 5...Cordero giving us tips on his mounts...
oh, the wonder of it all.

Those of you that will be there now...count your blessings, every post I read gives me hope that racing will continue on, that all that is wrong with it means nothing for 4 weeks during the summer, Saratoga is a shining example of what racing can be, should be...from the mornings with coffee & donuts trackside, to the afternoon's card, the folks, the horses, the beauty of it all.

I miss it so much it makes me very sad, but I guess I will have to make my memories last and remind myself that at least I was there, along with all the greats, folks and horses alike, back in 'my' day.

Heavy sigh:faint:

Wonderful thread...wonderful:ThmbUp:

sonnyp
07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh, man,
This may be the best thread we've had in a long time...one where everyone is putting down their emotions in memories...I listened to New York Sate of Mind while reading through the posts...guys, I'm sittin' here, lost in a mist of memories and longing...and wondering, why did I ever leave the backside...my heart is still there, and I pine for those days to come back.
I hope I remember right, that we'd get an apartment in the Union Hotel...is it still there, on the main drag...see, my memory fades...we'd stable at Oklahoma, the stalls would have straw all winter and you could see where the Deer were sleeping...getting water from the old pump spigets, the hush of morning in the mist, the smell of grass, going to the Oklahoma track at night and laying on the ground looking up at the night sky...that was the first time I saw the night sky without city lights and could not beleive the stars...Yaddo Park and the year we planted something ;) there and couldn't find it the next summer (my crazy days)...and the races and the incredible horses, when a filly I rubbed won by 5...Cordero giving us tips on his mounts...
oh, the wonder of it all.

Those of you that will be there now...count your blessings, every post I read gives me hope that racing will continue on, that all that is wrong with it means nothing for 4 weeks during the summer, Saratoga is a shining example of what racing can be, should be...from the mornings with coffee & donuts trackside, to the afternoon's card, the folks, the horses, the beauty of it all.

I miss it so much it makes me very sad, but I guess I will have to make my memories last and remind myself that at least I was there, along with all the greats, folks and horses alike, back in 'my' day.

Heavy sigh:faint:

Wonderful thread...wonderful:ThmbUp:

listen joanied.....obviously you long for "canaan". all of us, each one of us has a "canaan". for some lucky people it's spelled s-a-r-a-t-o-g-a.

here, this is for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJmAFW4idbc

thespaah
07-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Let's see.....Affirmed beating Alydar in the 1977 Hopeful. Have the program for that..In fact I scanned it on to this compouter but I can't figure out how to post it here
Affirmed getting pulled down in the 1978 Travers.
General Assembly winning the 1980 Travers over a rain soaked strip setting the 10 furlong track record that still stands....
My friends goofing on me, begging me to take a swig from the Big Red Spring...They said I looked like I was electrocuted...Bastards
Play Fellow, who didn't care much for the Gate getting an "ear tug" by one of the assitant starters...Got a picture of that....
Been going since 1977....one daily double, one trifecta called "triples" back then( no coupled entries allowed) and three exactas...Every card was nine races and post time was 1:30. There were 24 dates in the meet and Sundays were a no-no.

thespaah
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
My first was 1977 for the Alabama.
The place was packed.
Was that the year White Star Line was in...I think she broke down and was put down.....Or was that J. Levsque's L'Alezane(sp)....I didn't go that day.. Was working in Lake George.

joanied
07-18-2010, 09:16 PM
listen joanied.....obviously you long for "canaan". all of us, each one of us has a "canaan". for some lucky people it's spelled s-a-r-a-t-o-g-a.

here, this is for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJmAFW4idbc

sonnyp...thank you. Yes, I've been, and I want to go back again...made me cry:( guess it's OK to feel sad for yourself once in a while:) (the smile is thru tears).
touch the track dirt for me...and feel the thunder of hooves from days gone by, of great horses and the hope that the young ones bring.

thespaah
07-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok did a little research and found I got my years mixed up. White Star Line won the Alabama in 1978....Our Mims for John Vietch( J Velasquez up) won it in '77

Edward DeVere
07-19-2010, 12:12 AM
how disgusting i thought the mineral water was the 1st time i drank it

Which is different from now . . . HOW?????

Java Gold@TFT
07-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Was that the year White Star Line was in...I think she broke down and was put down.....Or was that J. Levsque's L'Alezane(sp)....I didn't go that day.. Was working in Lake George.

I think the Alabama breakdown was a horse named Caesar's Dish? She was the favorite in the race and actually had a heart attack on the backstretch. I don't remember the year but it would have been late 70's.

Everyone remembers the Affirmed DQ in the Travers but interestingly the year before there was also a DQ in the Travers. Run Dusty Run was taken down after taking Jatski out to the middle of the track as they came down the stretch together. I had my number put up on that one but taken down on Pincay's worst ride ever. Cauthen wouldn't have been caught sleeping on Alydar coming up the rail. I'll always blame Pincay for ruining a potentially great race.

Ocala Mike
07-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Reading this thread reminds me of my late brother's passing in 1990 at the early age of 55. A dedicated horseplayer all his life, his final request was that he be cremated, and his ashes spread around Saratoga, his "Canaan."

His best friend fulfilled the request in September, 1990, and spread his ashes in three places: At the base of a statue in Yaddo (Christalan?), over the footbridge down to the rapids at Saratoga Springs State Park, and along the rail down the 7f chute on the main track.

Back in 1990, racing would be over at the Spa in late August (24-day meeting); not long afterwards, of course, Labor Day became the new closing day for the extended meeting. Not without a touch of irony, my brother passed away on Labor Day, September 3, 1990.

Ocala Mike

BELMONT 6-6-09
07-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Saratoga is like a return to 'all the best' their is. I know this has been said a number of times in the past. When at the Spa I know that virtually every thought and conversation will be on horses and handicapping...and all the world is right. I've read some very interesting stories and bits from the previous posts and for me, it was very enjoyable reading...and I thank all!

Good luck at Saratoga. Drink the Big Red Spring water LOL.

thespaah
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
:1a: I think the Alabama breakdown was a horse named Caesar's Dish? She was the favorite in the race and actually had a heart attack on the backstretch. I don't remember the year but it would have been late 70's.

Everyone remembers the Affirmed DQ in the Travers but interestingly the year before there was also a DQ in the Travers. Run Dusty Run was taken down after taking Jatski out to the middle of the track as they came down the stretch together. I had my number put up on that one but taken down on Pincay's worst ride ever. Cauthen wouldn't have been caught sleeping on Alydar coming up the rail. I'll always blame Pincay for ruining a potentially great race.
Yes. I could not go to the 1977 Travers with my friends because I had to work.
One of my friends bet Jatski.
1978, I remeber the headline on the front cover of the NYDaily News sports page...Did Affirmed get a fair Shake Shake Shake.
I have watched that race over and over again. IMO could have gone either way.

mbenton
07-20-2010, 02:03 AM
You and Carson Hollow's stretch duel, Chief Seattle's debut, POURING rain for Medaglia d'Oro's Travers. Point Given's presence in the paddock, Edgar Prado shunning a bunch of kids looking for autographs after Lemon Drop Kid's Whitney, taking 2 steps, then after wiping off as much mud as he could, he turned around and signed until all were satisfied.

point given
07-20-2010, 02:39 AM
You and Carson Hollow's stretch duel, Chief Seattle's debut, POURING rain for Medaglia d'Oro's Travers. Point Given's presence in the paddock, Edgar Prado shunning a bunch of kids looking for autographs after Lemon Drop Kid's Whitney, taking 2 steps, then after wiping off as much mud as he could, he turned around and signed until all were satisfied.

I'll never forget that race , what a stretch duel stride for stride to the wire, neither deserved to lose, and alas I had singled Carson Hollow for my P6 and it cost me dearly. My buddy had singled You for his P6 and we both had 5 of 6.

The other race that I recall was Afleet Alex beating Devils Desciple on the wire in the mud flying down the stretch in one of the 2yo stakes as no one was closing that day in the wet and I had DD at 20/1 think.

Another one was last summer when I saw Rachel Alexandra in the Woodward dig deep to hold off the closing Macho Again and the stands shaking with shrieks and applause as everyone rooted her across that wire. Ah , fine memories.