PDA

View Full Version : Is Mel Gibson getting a raw deal......?

JustRalph
07-15-2010, 10:52 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/07/15/oh-my-mel-gibson-tapes-might-have-been-doctored/

Oh my: Mel Gibson tapes might have been doctored

Forensic audio and video experts examined the recordings for HollywoodLife.com and believe someone tampered with them, editing the audio, removing parts of conversation and piecing together phrases to make the recordings sound real.

“One of the things that you have to know is that nobody at this point can authenticate it’s Mel’s voice — not 100 percent,” Bonnie Fuller, editor of HollywoodLife.com, said on “Good Morning America” today. “There are words that are edited out, there are spaces, there are gaps.”

“I believe these are professionally done. I think she had help,” said forensic audio expert Arlo West. “She clearly was speaking into what we call a large diaphragm microphone. Her voice is very well engineered. She sounds great.”

much more at the link

jamey1977
07-15-2010, 11:09 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/07/15/oh-my-mel-gibson-tapes-might-have-been-doctored/

Oh my: Mel Gibson tapes might have been doctored

Forensic audio and video experts examined the recordings for HollywoodLife.com and believe someone tampered with them, editing the audio, removing parts of conversation and piecing together phrases to make the recordings sound real.

“One of the things that you have to know is that nobody at this point can authenticate it’s Mel’s voice — not 100 percent,” Bonnie Fuller, editor of HollywoodLife.com, said on “Good Morning America” today. “There are words that are edited out, there are spaces, there are gaps.”

“I believe these are professionally done. I think she had help,” said forensic audio expert Arlo West. “She clearly was speaking into what we call a large diaphragm microphone. Her voice is very well engineered. She sounds great.”

much more at the link
I know that voice. Very hard to doctor stuff. Mel is no Angel. Just Mel's Spin Doctors at work.

TheBid9
07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
It sounds like him on that tape and Mel has had meltdowns before. He's his own worst enemy. The guy acts like a rageaholic!

TJDave
07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Have you checked their masthead? :lol:

They're a carbon copy of the Enquirer.

Here's how it works:

They take a headline like, "Aliens Ate My Baby"...Change a few words and it comes out, " Mel Gibson Tapes Altered."

And I wouldn't be surprised if Mel paid for the audio experts. He's got almost a billion extra cash. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2010, 12:16 AM
I know one thing...Mel ought to hire Whoopi Goldberg as his PR director....if he hasn't already....

JustRalph
07-16-2010, 01:11 AM
I know one thing...Mel ought to hire Whoopi Goldberg as his PR director....if he hasn't already....

I haven't heard the stuff yet....... thought it was interesting to note that this stuff is now being called doctored. I agree on Whoopi........ she made a pretty impassioned plea on Mel's behalf........I thing she is a nut sometimes, but she said Mel Gibson has spent time with her kids etc and she doesn't know the guy on these tapes ........ interesting to see where this goes

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2010, 01:23 AM
I haven't heard the stuff yet....... thought it was interesting to note that this stuff is now being called doctored. I agree on Whoopi........ she made a pretty impassioned plea on Mel's behalf........I thing she is a nut sometimes, but she said Mel Gibson has spent time with her kids etc and she doesn't know the guy on these tapes ........ interesting to see where this goesI won't put much stock into what she says. People tend to hide well their ugly side from the rest of the world when they are able...

bigmack
07-16-2010, 01:57 AM
A good chum who knows MG quite well is over shooting Pirates 4 in Hawaii. He says, and it's no small secret, that Mel has a loose screw and it's been loose for years. So what? Meds might be in his future and then he'll act just like the grey man in the grey booth at the yellow Denny's in your grey town.

Some people are wacky. I kinda like it that way.

"I want to kill him…I want his intestines on a stick. . . . I want to kill his dog."
On New York Times reporter Frank Rich, who wrote an
early article about The Passion of the Christ.
The New Yorker, September 15, 2003
http://www.quotelucy.com/quotes/mel-gibson-quotes-2.html

Greyfox
07-16-2010, 02:39 AM
The problem with tapes such as this is they usually won't stand up in Court.
Person A hires an "expert" to say they are legit.
Person B hires an "expert" to say they aren't.
Myself, I think Gibson probably said those things, but I can't say that beyond a reasonable doubt.
The more I read about Gibson though he is by several reports a narcissistic creep.

Grits
07-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Remember when he was Jesus--with all the passion?

Dude's crazier than a damn rat in a coffee can. :faint:

Can anyone believe someone would spend more than one hour with an individual who spoke to them like this? She's as crazy as he is.

Mel's extremely wealthy former spouse? She's the only one lookin' pretty sharp.:lol:

Mel needs the bumper sticker for his car--

WWJD?

Tom
07-16-2010, 10:39 AM
The girl now admits the tapes were edited.
She took out the bad stuff that might embarrass him.

JustRalph
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
The girl now admits the tapes were edited.
She took out the bad stuff that might embarrass him.
:lol:

delayjf
07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I think if everyone was honest, we would all admit to using racial slurs at some point in our lives - probably in a moment of anger. If that is the definition of a racist then we are all racist.

TJDave
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I think if everyone was honest, we would all admit to using racial slurs at some point in our lives - probably in a moment of anger. If that is the definition of a racist then we are all racist.

Maybe, but this guy has a doctorate in 'angry'. Given his track record I would question the motives of anyone who would now come to his defense.

delayjf
07-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Obviously he has a problem with anger, but other than say stupid things when he's either angry or drunk, what has he done to confirm to you he is a racist. What other forms of discrimination is he guilty of?

I would question the motives of anyone who would now come to his defense.
I'm not defending what he said, only that using racial slurs do not necessarily make one a racist any more than telling a dirty joke make one a sexist.

GameTheory
07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe, but this guy has a doctorate in 'angry'. Given his track record I would question the motives of anyone who would now come to his defense.What nefarious motives would they have, exactly, in defending him?

TJDave
07-16-2010, 04:32 PM
other than say stupid things when he's either angry or drunk, what has he done to confirm to you he is a racist. What other forms of discrimination is he guilty of?

I'm not defending what he said, only that using racial slurs do not necessarily make one a racist any more than telling a dirty joke make one a sexist.

He's obviously an anti-Semite. Most racist apples fall from the same tree. He could be a selective bigot...But his latest statements don't support it.

We're all gamblers here. What odds would you give? :rolleyes:

TJDave
07-16-2010, 04:52 PM
What nefarious motives would they have, exactly, in defending him?

To justify and validate their own behavior.

GameTheory
07-16-2010, 05:36 PM
To justify and validate their own behavior.Their own racist behavior, right? Funny, I have the urge to "defend" him for two reasons, neither of which makes me a monster I don't think. (Although you never know -- apparently I'm a monster for not being offended appropriately in other matters around here recently, so maybe I'm also a monster for not being horribly offended by the existence of Mel Gibson.) I won't defend his specific behavior (and no one else has either that I know of), we can condemn that, but I'm not willing to go further and simply say, "Mel is bad" or "Mel is racist".

Because:

A) We really have no right to even be aware of these events that ought to be private, and so I am uncomfortable judging him on them. That means I have to assume other people, even people I know personally, are "secretly evil". I think private behavior should remain private -- I do think there is a difference between public and private and the idea that the private you is the "real you" (or that the drunk you is the "real you") is a seriously flawed notion. If his girlfriend wants to hate him, that's fine, but it really is none of our business.

B) Since these were drunken and/or angry outbursts, I wouldn't extrapolate beyond that into his underlying character. Now despite what someone said above, it is not because I can relate. I have never uttered a racial epithet in my life and you can get me as angry as you want and I'm not going to -- the urge to do so is completely alien to me (I don't think them either). The idea that I would "let one slip" is absurd. At least I'd be mighty surprised. But human psychology is complex, so you never know -- we do all sorts of things that we ourselves can't explain (especially when under pressure or drunk if drink distorts you that way). Like people with Tourette's syndrome -- their brain is letting hurtful things out not because that is the conscious intent of the person, but because their brain has identified some such phrase as offensive and some malfunction causes it to be uttered. "Angry drunks" are like this. They don't say terrible things because that's the way the "really feel", but because they in their alcohol-fueled rage want to say the most terrible things they can think of period. (Just because I can think up some evil stuff to say doesn't mean I agree with that stuff.)

bigmack
07-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Snappy lil' soundboard of Melvin:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/soundboards/play/81036464/

Floating to the top:

She would have blown me in five seconds - SHE'S NOT YOUR FRIEND!

delayjf
07-16-2010, 07:35 PM
If I wanted to confirm Mel Gibson as a racist, I would look to his actions towards other ethnic groups as opposed to some drunken rant. It would be interesting to get Danny Glovers take on Mel as a racist since they made a few movies together.

Grits
07-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Game, this is a pretty straigtforward simple question, one that probably won't take a great deal of thought. Still, here goes.

If this woman were your daughter, and Mel Gibson were treating your daughter in this manner, as her dad would you be this passive, and this slow to question a possible psychological instability or worse, volatility?

Or would you go with the, "sweetheart, he'll be alright tomorrow morning when he's sobered up. Don't let him upset you. He didn't mean any of it, it was the liquor talking."

OntheRail
07-16-2010, 10:50 PM
From the one I heard she is way to monotone and seems scripted in her replies also the audio went form grainy to crystal clear. I think the males responses are taken out of context. Also why wait months to bring this to the authorities... also why taint the jury pool with the release of them. Other then she did it for the money.

GameTheory
07-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Game, this is a pretty straigtforward simple question, one that probably won't take a great deal of thought. Still, here goes.

If this woman were your daughter, and Mel Gibson were treating your daughter in this manner, as her dad would you be this passive, and this slow to question a possible psychological instability or worse, volatility?

Or would you go with the, "sweetheart, he'll be alright tomorrow morning when he's sobered up. Don't let him upset you. He didn't mean any of it, it was the liquor talking."Despite it being pretty clear in what I wrote above, I will answer to clarify, more than I can say for you when I've put forward some simple questions in your direction.

The answer is no, of course not, I'd tell her to stay the hell away. (Didn't I say I was not defending his behavior these specific incidents? Didn't I say it would make sense if his girlfriend hated him?) But that speaks to the distinction I was making between public and private -- I'm *NOT* her father, and I will likely never meet her or Mel. It is between them, and has nothing to do with me whatsoever. Why should I be judging the level of his psychological stability anyway?

But if his girlfriend wants to leave him, heck even if he loses every friend in the world because he's volatile and scary to be around; it still doesn't make him a racist or an anti-semite -- which is what we've been talking about -- it makes him volatile and scary to be around no matter who you are.

Incidentally, I'd tell Mel to stay away from the likes of her as well. It is not like she's acted wonderfully here.

Grits
07-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks Game. I wasn't concerned about your opinion of whether he is racist or anti semite. Nor did I feel or note that you were defending him. My only question was as I stated. And your previous post didn't take any such into account. (The thought hadn't been posed to you.)

There are many professionals, as we're aware, that are paid to note the signs of abuse, be it private or public. Too, these folks are aware--by the time these things occur in public they've been playing out in private for quite sometime.

Its not easy to passively stand by, regardless whether one's a professional or simply a friend, and not judge, or react in some way, when one hears or even sees such exchanges as these. Of course, this is particularly true if one's child is in such a situation.

I'd rather judge than be too late in realizing an escalating problem.

Who knows the whole thing could blow over, they could make nice-nice and life would go on. Its Hollywood.:faint:

Thank you for the reply.

KingChas
07-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Just remember gang,their are two sides to every story. ;)

GameTheory
07-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks Game. I wasn't concerned about your opinion of whether he is racist or anti semite. Nor did I feel or note that you were defending him. My only question was as I stated. And your previous post didn't take any such into account. (The thought hadn't been posed to you.)So you've completely changed the subject and for some reason have singled me out. Ok, a little strange, but fine.

There are many professionals, as we're aware, that are paid to note the signs of abuse, be it private or public. Too, these folks are aware--by the time these things occur in public they've been playing out in private for quite sometime.

Its not easy to passively stand by, regardless whether one's a professional or simply a friend, and not judge, or react in some way, when one hears or even sees such exchanges as these. Of course, this is particularly true if one's child is in such a situation.

I'd rather judge than be too late in realizing an escalating problem.You'd rather judge Mel Gibson now than be too late? I guess I'm not following. Are you personally getting involved -- are you going to go to Malibu to make sure Mel stays away from this girl and this girl stays away from Mel? If not, then it is just gossip, and whether you judge now, later, or never makes no difference. "It is too easy to passively stand by..." So we should all be marching down to Malibu to stop Mel Gibson? Mel Gibson is my responsibility now? Am I actually obligated to keep abreast of Hollywood gossip/scandals so I can take appropriate action?

Or have you changed the subject again? We're talking about some Hollywood celebrity and what we can glean from his (alleged) behavior given the fact that we've never even met the people involved. Obviously, if it was someone you knew you'd act differently, and the first thing you'd do is get more information and try to find out what's actually going on, eh? But that would "be your business" -- even if it really wasn't and you made it so -- you'd be in a position to do something. Are we in a position to do something about Mel Gibson? I am neither a "professional" or a friend of any of these people, and I'm assuming no one else here is either, so what does this have to do with anything?

Grits
07-17-2010, 11:05 AM
GameTheory wrote: Obviously, if it was someone you knew you'd act differently, and the first thing you'd do is get more information and try to find out what's actually going on, eh? But that would "be your business" -- even if it really wasn't and you made it so -- you'd be in a position to do something.

Game, how 'bout, please, saving your veiled insults, they're not veiled. To the contrary, they're more obvious than your dog's face in your avatar. Not to mention, they're acerbic. Your comments to others don't seem so.

You certainly can choose not to respond to any question I ask, and that would be fine--indeed. My interest had far less to do with Mel Gibson and his squeeze. It had far more to do with how your concern and your reactions would play out if this were your daughter, as noted in your quote above. Nothing else. And yes this was a change, an intentional one, my focus was not centered on racism or semitism. Like yourself, 99% of us don't care to be a part of either.

My concern lies in the fact that abuse can and does escalate, as we know. Fifteen years ago, my housekeeper's daughter was shot in the head at point blank range by her estranged husband while walking up the courthouse steps. Minutes before both were to appear before the judge in divorce proceedings.

The monitoring and the punishment for abusive behavior has come a long way. Still, even today, some cannot be stopped--not by the courts, not by restraining order, not by anyone, or any other means.

Thanks again for your reply.

GameTheory
07-17-2010, 02:08 PM
You certainly can choose not to respond to any question I ask, and that would be fine--indeed. My interest had far less to do with Mel Gibson and his squeeze. It had far more to do with how your concern and your reactions would play out if this were your daughter, as noted in your quote above. Nothing else. And yes this was a change, an intentional one, my focus was not centered on racism or semitism. Like yourself, 99% of us don't care to be a part of either. Ok, so your concern is not the topic of the thread you are posting in, but my about my personal feelings about a situation that doesn't exist. You're starting to creep me out. Maybe you should be more concerned with how you treat actual people than about my hypothetical reactions to a fictional person in a fictional situation. I think I will bow out now before this gets weirder.

Grits
07-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Ok, so your concern is not the topic of the thread you are posting in, but my about my personal feelings about a situation that doesn't exist. You're starting to creep me out. Maybe you should be more concerned with how you treat actual people than about my hypothetical reactions to a fictional person in a fictional situation. I think I will bow out now before this gets weirder.

You read too much into my response and my question, Game. Unnecessarily so. There's a simple explanation if you need one. I respect your knowledge most of the time. I enjoy reading your posts, they're often informative. And indepth. (Now and then, too wordy.) Still, I gain by reading them. I don't mean to creep or wierd you out. And I'm sorry I do so.

The incident discussed has to do with one of abuse and the possible doctoring of tapes. Abuse doesn't require a celebrity's actions, of course, though, it does get more ink the more well known one is.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to ask a question that didn't pertain to hypothetical abuse of one's family member given the OP didn't lead the thread off with racism or semitism. Neither were brought up until post 13. So, I didn't think, as you do, that I was off topic. I asked, you, because of the reasons I stated in the first paragraph.

(A *footnote* Aside and unrelated on Tourette's.)

Like people with Tourette's syndrome -- their brain is letting hurtful things out not because that is the conscious intent of the person, but because their brain has identified some such phrase as offensive and some malfunction causes it to be uttered.

Game, offensive phrasing is only a very small part (and not all TS patients do this) of the behavioral patterns of Tourette's Syndrome. One of my son's schoolmates road back and forth to school with us for years, she has Tourette's. It was not a part of her behavior patterns.

The tics of TS individuals are widely varied and have to do with gross and fine motor behavior that can be as mild as blinking one's eyes, shrugging one's shoulders, head movement, repetitive curling of one's hair. More severe tics could include uncontrollable hitting of oneself, unusual sounds like grunting or, even, barking. The most well known unfortunately--as you spoke of--offensive phrasing. Some of the phrasing can include cursing. Each of these tics are present due to neurologically based sensory receptors and the sensations sent to the muscles. They are involuntary in regard to muscle movement, but the neurological intent is there creating the movement. These movements, having to be spent and consciously let out. Medication usually helps their tics to a great degree, though, not always. Too, with age some of their tics lessen. I've known children terribly dibilitated by their behavioral patterns. Their bodies only still in their sleep.

I don't know a great amount that's discussed in OT, as I've made clear, time and again. Politics and religion coming from myself are rare. Other threads, as this, possibly, on occasion.

When one speaks of disabilities, too, I'm usually informed either by anecdotal experience, or general knowledge acquired over the 33 years I've spent with such individuals.

Game, I don't recall anyone implying you were a monster.

JustRalph
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Is she going to jail ?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2010-07-21-mel-gibson_N.htm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3idce355ee2b302dc4e314dccf51febe6f

WinterTriangle
07-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Similar to people being able to physically handicap a horse, psychiatrists and some lay people can read eyes, faces.

It has always been obvious that Mel is off kilter. He's just not as good at hiding it these days.

Unfortunately, counseling for abusers very rarely results in improvement, according to statistics.

Maybe Danny Glover can knock a few of his teeth out.:)

Even if the lady is a golddigger, she's 1/2 his age and I hardly think he's so utterly "defenseless" that she's taking advantage of a full grown man with a drinking /anger management problem. :rolleyes:

Being a bigot or not is certainly not at the top of his "problems".

xtb
07-29-2010, 12:00 AM
Even if the lady is a golddigger, she's 1/2 his age and I hardly think he's so utterly "defenseless" that she's taking advantage of a full grown man...

Although she could pass for 28 she's actually 40 and he's 56.