PDA

View Full Version : Economy improvement by mid-term elections

highnote
07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
"IF" the economy improves by the mid-term elections who gets credit -- Democrats or Republicans?

mostpost
07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
"IF" the economy improves by the mid-term elections who gets credit -- Democrats or Republicans?
Apparently Hcap and I were the first two voters. :lol:

highnote
07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I haven't voted, yet. I'm leaning toward "dem".

Trying to determine what GOP has done that would make them responsible for improved economy. That's not to say they haven't done anything worthy.

ArlJim78
07-14-2010, 04:51 PM
George Bush

mostpost
07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
George Bush
I was going to compliment you on your sense of humor. Then I realized you're serious.

DJofSD
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
That is a big IF. Just remember, the stock market and the economy are two different things.

GameTheory
07-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Democrats will get credit or blame, although if credit it would have to be a helluva quick improvement -- "studies show" that most people would need a few months of the improved conditions at least. If job numbers don't suddenly go rapidly upward in the next two weeks it will be too late. But the only way that is going to happen is to cook the books, but people need to LIVE it so forget it...

newtothegame
07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of GT when he mentioned "cook the books".
I would not put it past this administration to attempt to pull off a coup like that. really it's their only hope in the midterms. Look no further then the fighting now between the speaker and the administrations spokesperson.

They know they are in deep trouble. If the repugs win back the house and or senate. The admin will be hard pressed to get anything done over the next few years which will in turn almost assure this president as ONE term.

That's why there is now talk of lame duck session to push through his agenda as most know they are done anyways. It's now just a matter of how many seats will be taken back by the repugs.

But to answer the question.....Dems should get credit or blame no matter what. But if it is to be credit, as GT mentioned, it needs to happen VERY FAST for the people to even "feel" its effects and vote accordingly.

ArlJim78
07-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I was going to compliment you on your sense of humor. Then I realized you're serious.
My compliments on YOUR sense of humor.

JustRalph
07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
economy improve ? That's a laugher :lol: :lol:

Tom
07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
economy improve ? That's a laugher :lol: :lol:

I was wondering when some one would point that out! :lol:

sandpit
07-14-2010, 11:43 PM
It took many years of missteps to put us in this tenuous position; it will take many more to pull us out. This idiocy of hanging on every jobs report, stock market uptick or dive, retail sales numbers, etc. is completely useless. Tons of people are predicting everything imaginable, some of them will be right from sheer dumb luck. I remember hearing all kinds of talk six months ago of how the interest rates would be rising so everybody should refinance their mortgages right away...what happened, rates are even lower now. :faint:

BluegrassProf
07-15-2010, 01:31 AM
No kidding - it's chaos on the Street. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, BOOM! Your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?

Seriously, watch out for that volatile OJ market.

wes
07-15-2010, 09:14 AM
http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/the-obamarang/2/

obamarang:

wes

BlueShoe
07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Which mid term election are we discussing, 2014 or 2018? It is only 3 1/2 months until election day 2010, and things sure as hell are not going to be turned around in that short a time. Look for stock market declines in Sep. or Oct. and more bad news on jobs and the overall economy. A lot of Democrats will be packing their bags come January.

GameTheory
07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Cooking the books has begun!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/15/news/economy/jobless_claims/index.htm?hpt=T2

highnote
07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Which mid term election are we discussing, 2014 or 2018? It is only 3 1/2 months until election day 2010, .

I was talking about 3.5 months from now.

highnote
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Cooking the books has begun!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/15/news/economy/jobless_claims/index.htm?hpt=T2

These numbers seem reasonable:

The number of Americans filing for initial unemployment insurance dropped to the lowest level in nearly two years last week, according to a government report released Thursday.

There were 429,000 initial jobless claims filed in the week ended July 10, the lowest level since Aug. 23 2008 and down 29,000 from a revised 458,000 in the previous week, the Labor Department said.

At some point most people who are going to get laid off will be laid off and the number will start to stabilize. I'm interested in seeing the number of people are hired. We need 125,000 new jobs per month just to keep up with population growth. I don't think we'll be hitting that number for awhile.

BlueShoe
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I was talking about 3.5 months from now.
I knew that, was just replying with my usual cynical, sarcastic response used when commenting on the current sad state of affairs now taking place in this nation.

RaceBookJoe
07-16-2010, 10:02 PM
IF the economy turns around in the next few months then i would have to say that the democrats deserve the credit...but i see no way of that happening. The numbers are getting worse and there are no jobs and wont be for a long time unfortunately. Even with all of the "good" news yesterday, the bad news trumped it. rbj