PDA

View Full Version : HBO Picks Up Michael Mann/Dustin Hoffman Horse-Racing Drama 'Luck' To Series

andymays
07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/hbo-picks-up-luck-to-series/

Excerpt:

HBO has ordered the Dustin Hoffman-starring pilot Luck to series. Luck, from Michael Mann and David Milch, takes a provocative look at horse racing – the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players. Production is set to begin this fall at Santa Anita Park and other Los Angeles locations.

“Michael Mann delivered a pilot from David Milch’s brilliant script that took our breath away,” said HBO's programming president Michael Lombardo. “We are truly excited that these two artists, and our extraordinary cast headed by Dustin Hoffman, will be bringing Luck to life.”

The cast for the pilot, penned by Milch and directed by Mann, also includes Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Kevin Dunn, Richard Kind, Jason Gedrick, Ritchie Coster, Ian Hart, Tom Payne, Kerry Condon, Gary Stevens and Nick Nolte. Jill Hennessy guest stars. Milch, Mann and Carolyn Strauss execitive produce, with Henry Bronchtein co-executive producing and Hoffman producing.

Grits
07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Its good to see Nick Nolte back in any production. Great actor.

Bless 'em, hope he's sober.

Cardus
07-14-2010, 05:43 PM
If memory serves, David Milch owned Gilded Time.

ArlJim78
07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
seriously that is quite an array of talent for a horse racing series. I'm a big fan of Mann's work.

cj
07-14-2010, 05:56 PM

If it is half as good as Deadwood, it would still be great.

Spalding No!
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Yep, and Val Royal and Tuzla as well. I think he's a regular at Hollywood Park also.

From visual guestimations, he's probably responsible for 25% of the daily attendance at that track.

bigmack
07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
As a result of the Deadwood series gaming revenue went from $62Mil to $84Mil.

With this casting and production team, this is big.

joanied
07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm so happy about this:jump: it's gonna be great:ThmbUp: What a fantastic cast...absolutley love Hoffman, Farina, Nolte... "brilliant script that took our breath away", says it all...I can't wait. Going to set it to record so I can watch it over & over... as da bisket would say...woooowoooo!!

GameTheory
07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Hmmm. I love Milch and hate Mann. We'll see...

Cardus
07-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Yep, and Val Royal and Tuzla as well. I think he's a regular at Hollywood Park also.

From visual guestimations, he's probably responsible for 25% of the daily attendance at that track.

He was the producer of "Hill Street Blues," right?

I forgot about Val Royal.

He was a monster in the BC Mile at Belmont Park. Wide move.

thaskalos
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
I hope this series doesn't do for horseracing, what the series "Tilt" did for poker.

In the series "Tilt", the contoversial side of the game was depicted so graphically, that it caused an uproar among the poker community...and as a result, the show was terminated after the first season.

Cardus
07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
I hope this series doesn't do for horseracing, what the series "Tilt" did for poker.

In the series "Tilt", the contoversial side of the game was depicted so graphically, that it caused an uproar among the poker community...and as a result, the show was terminated after the first season.

Horse racing has a controversial side?

Since when?

JustRalph
07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
If it is half as good as Deadwood, it would still be great.

Quite possibly the best damn show I have ever seen........that and "The Wire" were great...........

tribecaagent
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm. I love Milch and hate Mann. We'll see...

Hate Mann?
Thief with Caan is outstanding.

Spalding No!
07-14-2010, 07:58 PM
He was the producer of "Hill Street Blues," right?

I forgot about Val Royal.

He was a monster in the BC Mile at Belmont Park. Wide move.
Yeah. Co-creator of NYPD Blue, too. That's where the name "Danny Sorenson" came from for the Ricky Schroeder character. There was also an episode where they raided an apartment and the post-parade for the '92 Arlington-Washington Futurity (won by Gilded Time) was playing on the TV.

ArlJim78
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Hate Mann?
:ThmbUp: I second that, its a great flick.

Bullet Plane
07-14-2010, 09:06 PM
The Gambler with James Caan is a great movie!

GameTheory
07-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Hate Mann?
That was a LONG time ago -- his first movie I think.

andymays
07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
http://jessicachapel.com/2010/07/12/milch-reads-luck/

Excerpt:

Milch Reads “Luck”

This is awesome: David Milch reads from the first 20 pages of “Luck.” The reading, which took place at the Kelly Writers House in April, begins about 17 minutes into the audio (MP3) . There’s a little dark humor, a lot of racetrack talk. It sounds very, very promising. (Thanks to Tony Hanadarko for the link!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The audio is available at the website: I don't know how to link it here.

http://jessicachapel.com/2010/07/12/milch-reads-luck/

tribecaagent
07-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks for letting me know I'm getting older. Look man, I'm only 39..haha

shouldacoulda
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Did the boneheads at HBO forget that they are a MOVIE channel? I pay for their service to watch MOVIES and not television shows with nudity and cursing. Now stars is doing the same. Can you say cancel my subscription? I don't care if it's about horse racing or not. When I put on HBO I expect to see a movie.

Spalding No!
07-14-2010, 10:13 PM
He did The Godfather way before Thief.

I've never seen it, but Brian's Song with Landau Calrisian or OJ Simpson was one of his early roles.

Jay Trotter
07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Shoulda,

Not to offend but that's just dumb!!!

HBO isn't a "Movie Channel" it's an "Entertainment Channel" and some of the groundbreaking shows are like great movies that never end....

How can you complain about that? :confused:

Just sayin,

Trotter:ThmbUp:

Did the boneheads at HBO forget that they are a MOVIE channel? I pay for their service to watch MOVIES and not television shows with nudity and cursing. Now stars is doing the same. Can you say cancel my subscription? I don't care if it's about horse racing or not. When I put on HBO I expect to see a movie.

bigmack
07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=shouldacouldaWhen I put on HBO I expect to see a movie.[/QUOTE]
That format changed over a decade ago.

In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

GameTheory
07-14-2010, 10:39 PM

I've never seen it, but Brian's Song with Landau Calrisian or OJ Simpson was one of his early roles.I'm talking about Mann the director, not Caan the actor. Caan was long-established before Thief. The earliest Caan I've seen is El Dorado with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum, 1966, although he has credits going back 5 years before that.

Thief was from 1981.

Spalding No!
07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm talking about Mann the director, not Caan the actor. Caan was long-established before Thief. The earliest Caan I've seen is El Dorado with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum, 1966, although he has credits going back 5 years before that.

Thief was from 1981.
Oops. I just saw The Godfather yesterday (its about 3 times a day on cable) and a claymation spoof of Misery last night, so I completely misread your post.

Dahoss9698
07-15-2010, 12:25 AM

In that case you've missed out on a lot of great shows.

GameTheory
07-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Don't the movies have nudity and cursing too?

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Quite possibly the best damn show I have ever seen........that and "The Wire" were great...........Never saw an episode of either show, and I regret it...oh well...there's always DVD...

GameTheory
07-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Never saw an episode of either show, and I regret it...oh well...there's always DVD...Really? I think the first season of Deadwood may be the best thing ever to be on television. The other seasons were good also, but the first had the most structure since he was roughly following history (with Wild Bill, Jack McCall etc). Milch unstructured tends to get a bit wacky after a while (see "John From Cincinnati" for example).

Myself, I never watched "The Wire" but am planning to start on those DVDs soon.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Really? I think the first season of Deadwood may be the best thing ever to be on television. The other seasons were good also, but the first had the most structure since he was roughly following history (with Wild Bill, Jack McCall etc). Milch unstructured tends to get a bit wacky after a while (see "John From Cincinnati" for example).

Myself, I never watched "The Wire" but am planning to start on those DVDs soon.Now John From Cincinnati I saw every episode...seriously... :lol:

Dahoss9698
07-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Now John From Cincinnati I saw every episode...seriously... :lol:

I know most people, at least the ones I have spoken to didn't like it. But I loved the show. It was weird, but I would have liked to see what they could have done with a second season.

JustRalph
07-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Never saw an episode of either show, and I regret it...oh well...there's always DVD...

Both on Netflix .......... Deadwood has the best damn dialog ever

Well Written ..........

The Wire is the same way.......

bigmack
07-15-2010, 02:42 AM
Whatever became of this histrion who graced this PA stage with his want to audition for Luck?

XliEvdPpUfE

GameTheory
07-15-2010, 08:17 AM
I liked JC too, and the unmade seasons were sure to be interesting since the whole thing was eventually about to be about some sort of surfer-led army fighting jihadist terrorists. They never really got that far...

cj
07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Myself, I never watched "The Wire" but am planning to start on those DVDs soon.

I'm probably biased being from Baltimore, but it is probably my favorite show ever. I still watch it when it pops up on In Demand or break out the DVDs now and then.

Cardus
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM

I've never seen it, but Brian's Song with Landau Calrisian or OJ Simpson was one of his early roles.

It definitely wasn't OJ. I don't think it was Calrisian, either, but I might be wrong about that one.

GameTheory
07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
It definitely wasn't OJ. I don't think it was Calrisian, either, but I might be wrong about that one.Yeah, it was Billy Dee Williams as Gale Sayers:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068315/

bigmack
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM
In Luck, Dustin Hoffman plays Chester 'Ace' Bernstein. In the opening scene, 'Ace' is handicapping on the paddock lawn when a riding mower almost runs him over to which he yells -
Hey, I'm handicappin' here!

Track Superintendent Manny Blades walks to 'Ace' and says - Come here, I wanna tell ya something.

They walk 3 steps, Blades turns to Bernstein and abruptly says -
One word: Plastics.

Ace looks him square in the eye and replies -
Is it safe?

JustRalph
07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
In Luck, Dustin Hoffman plays Chester 'Ace' Bernstein. In the opening scene, 'Ace' is handicapping on the paddock lawn when a riding mower almost runs him over to which he yells -
Hey, I'm handicappin' here!

Track Superintendent Manny Blades walks to 'Ace' and says - Come here, I wanna tell ya something.

They walk 3 steps, Blades turns to Bernstein and abruptly says -
One word: Plastics.

Ace looks him square in the eye and replies -
Is it safe?

Is that supposed to be a reference to "The Graduate" ?

I have a question, why didn't anybody from PaceAdvantage get hired as a consultant on this thing ?

GameTheory
07-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Is that supposed to be a reference to "The Graduate"?Only got 1 out of 3 there Ralph.

Grits
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
If I recall Dustin in . . . . Midnight Cowboy,

Ricco's yelling, "hey, I'm walkin' here."

GT, tell me I'm correct on this one. I can still see the goofy walk of Ricco's. What a character.

He was SO good in Midnight Cowboy.

joanied
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I wonder how many viewing Luck's first episode will know those references are from the Graduate & Midnight Cowboy!! Great stuff, though. I had read that the first scene is of a grizzly old Nolte railside in the morning to watch his horses work....but the one with Hoffman will do just fine!

HOB has been airing these series for years...I don't know why anyone would bitch about it being a movie channel, when they have so many other things on air...cursing & nudity...hell, that stuff is mainstream now...besides, imagine a bunch of race trackers not using 'bad' language...it's just the way it is:)

The only thing about this series that'll bother me is the SA surface...why, oh, why couldn't it be DIRT:faint:

bigmack
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I wonder how many viewing Luck's first episode will know those references are from the Graduate & Midnight Cowboy!!
Not to mention Marathon Man.

The opening scene was fabricated by yours truly. Sorry, don't want to disappoint. Just figured with poly and all, "Plastics" was a nice line as well as "Is it safe?"

In any event, here's the cast:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/7_15_10_14_35_16.jpg

joanied
07-15-2010, 06:18 PM
If I recall Dustin in . . . . Midnight Cowboy,

Ricco's yelling, "hey, I'm walkin' here."

GT, tell me I'm correct on this one. I can still see the goofy walk of Ricco's. What a character.

He was SO good in Midnight Cowboy.

Hoffman shoulda won the Oscar that year...but John Wayne was dying, so they gave it to him for True Grit (which I thought was a great movie)...no one coulda played Ricco like Hoffman did...he WAS Ricco.
Little bit of movie trivia, Grits...that scene was a total ablib...a taxi driver wasn't supposed to be there when Hoffman & Voight were crossing the street...that was all Hoffman and they kept it in...little did they know it would become a line like "make my day" :D

Grits
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Joanie, did you cry when Ricco died? Lord, did I bawl.:lol: Tears rolled down my face, bigtime.

joanied
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Not to mention Marathon Man.

The opening scene was fabricated by yours truly. Sorry, don't want to disappoint. Just figured with poly and all, "Plastics" was a nice line as well as "Is it safe?"

In any event, here's the cast:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/7_15_10_14_35_16.jpg

For cryin' out loud:blush: :bang: ...I didn't even snap to the fact the reference to plastic was because that's what they have at SA...excellent:ThmbUp: :D

joanied
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Joanie, did you cry when Ricco died? Lord, did I bawl.:lol: Tears rolled down my face, bigtime.

Hell yes :blush: ...even though you just knew he wasn't gonna get off that bus...but it was hilarious when they were in his 'apartment' (I knew places like that in NY) and he was talking about "Flowida" and the orange juice ad came on the radio...and he did that 'dance'...
I went to the movies in Manhattan someplace to see it...that movie really captured the 'gritty' side of life in NYC...that party they went to was so realisitic, it was like some I went to back in my day...unbeleivable movie:ThmbUp:

garyscpa
07-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Hell yes :blush: ...even though you just knew he wasn't gonna get off that bus...but it was hilarious when they were in his 'apartment' (I knew places like that in NY) and he was talking about "Flowida" and the orange juice ad came on the radio...and he did that 'dance'...
I went to the movies in Manhattan someplace to see it...that movie really captured the 'gritty' side of life in NYC...that party they went to was so realisitic, it was like some I went to back in my day...unbeleivable movie:ThmbUp:

As long as it's about nEW yORK it must be great. :bang:

Spalding No!
07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
It definitely wasn't OJ. I don't think it was Calrisian, either, but I might be wrong about that one.
I knew it was Billy Dee Williams. I was just trying my hand at being "politically incorrect".

JustRalph
07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Who the hell is ricco ? Are you talking about Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy ?

jMoXQOmIcgo

Notice the similarity between Ratso's voice and the Rain man Character 20 yrs later.........

Grits
07-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Shit, Ralph, you gotta lotta nerve piping up six hours later, after you've gone looking for the trailer.:lol:

Hell, you couldn't remember the movie, the name, or the line. :faint:

JustRalph
07-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Hell, you couldn't remember the movie, the name, or the line. :faint:

that's where you would be wrong........one of my favs. Love the song by Nilsson from the movie too............I have a brother in law I refer to as Ratso because he reminds of the character..........

andymays
07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15528979

Excerpt:

"LUCK" is "a provocative look at horse racing - the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players," according to HBO.

Henry Bronchtein, co-executive producer of "LUCK," predicted "it will be the greatest show on TV."

"We think it's a wonderful script, a wonderful project," he said from the Hamptons on Thursday.

Excerpt:

"Horse racing clearly has been fading in popularity for the last 20 years," he said. "This might be a shot in the arm that will help it to find a new audience ... Maybe seeing the series with well-known stars will spark an interest in some younger people to start coming to the track."

Read more: HBO series to be filmed at Santa Anita - Whittier Daily News http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15528979#ixzz0tsO8eNos

andymays
07-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Dustin Hoffman's new HBO show: A breakthrough for TV?

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/15/dustin-hoffmans-new-hbo-show-a-breakthrough-for-tv/

andymays
08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
HBO's 'Luck' Bagging Four More Horsemen - 1450 WHTC

http://www.whtc.com/news/articles/2010/aug/19/hbos-luck-bagging-four-more-horsemen/

andymays
10-10-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.fox4kc.com/entertainment/la-ca-1010-michael-mann-20101010,0,7418144.story

Excerpt:

With his arms folded, and showing just the slightest of smiles, Michael Mann stood in his office on a recent afternoon and watched the opening title sequence to the first episode of "Luck," the HBO series that will air next year and give Mann his first television directing credit in 22 years. On the screen, a montage showed racehorses, gamblers, mob men and money as the Massive Attack song "Splitting the Atom" pulsed along with its languid whispers of desire.

Beachbabe
10-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Hate Mann?

One of the best movies few people have ever seen.

Robert Prosky's "lecture" to Caan as he's lying on the floor, after they've kiiled Belushi is classic.

Remeber the detective saying to Caan after they worked him over how he admired Caan for being ...."a stand-up guy"...and..."you like to go to the track".

joanied
10-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Jan. can't get here fast enough :jump: I absolutely cannot wait for this mini series...and thanks, andy, for posting the link...I have been thinking about 'Luck' a lot since Secretariat was released...I think Luck is going to draw a huge audience... I assume they'll start running 'spots' on HBO about it sometime next month.

This is gonna be goooooood:ThmbUp:

beertapper
10-14-2010, 01:07 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/10/david-milch-hopes-for-visceral-experience-with-hbos-luck.html

the show is getting alot of "low-key" hype, which makes me hopeful it will be a good series

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-1010-michael-mann-20101010,0,188477.story

damn, nolte looks like a trainer !

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2010-10/56644407.jpg

Badactor
01-13-2011, 10:38 AM
CAST THIS ACTOR: DELL YOUNT (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0950306/resume)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/UpInClass/SANTA%20ANITA/DELL_YOUNT_audition_LUCK.jpg

DJofSD
01-13-2011, 11:23 AM
After reading this thread, my interest has been peaked. However, I don't pay for HBO, so the question becomes: is there another way to view this series other than forking over more money to my cable company?

BTW, part of the attraction is Michael Mann. I loved his "Crime Story".

GameTheory
01-13-2011, 11:25 AM
After reading this thread, my interest has been peaked. However, I don't pay for HBO, so the question becomes: is there another way to view this series other than forking over more money to my cable company?

BTW, part of the attraction is Michael Mann. I loved his "Crime Story".Wait a year after its been on and get the DVDs...