PDA

View Full Version : The Big Green Lie Exposed

GameTheory
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
No, not the science, but the movement.

Keep in mind Walter Russell Mead is a Democrat, and voted for Obama (although certainly no political hack). He also had no quibbles with climate science itself.

At best, the green movement might be compared to an alarm clock: jangling shrilly to wake up the world. That is fair enough; they have turned our attention to a problem that needs to be carefully examined and dealt with. But the first thing you do when you wake up is to turn the alarm clock off; otherwise that shrill beeping noise will distract you from the problems of the day.

The alarm clock will never understand this; making shrill and irrational noise is what alarm clocks do and is all they understand. But sensible and thoughtful people who want humanity to live fuller, richer lives in a cleaner and more sustainable world need to get past the naive and crude policy ideas that currently dominate green thinking and start giving these questions the serious attention and careful thought they deserve.

Whole article:
http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2010/07/12/the-big-green-lie-exposed/

ArlJim78
07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure what positions this guy has held in the past, but his take on the current green situation I think is spot on.

I extend the same kind of thinking to nearly every problem identified by the lefties. Yes there are problems, but their solutions are no good and won't work. When you try to point this out you're painted as a person who believes there are no problems and that nothing should be done. Well sometimes doing nothing is better than doing soemthing in the form of large scale goverment programs or even through global treaties.

The problem is that everyone believes that our government is where everything gets done, so they expect big government solutions which nowadays come in the form of 2,500 page laws filled with giveaways, exemptions, greed, racial preferences, taxes, etc. We are suffocating under the weight of government solutions, and this year alone could do us in because they are not done yet.

DJofSD
07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
I like this line:

Malthusian panic attacks alternating with utopian dreams of universal accords, anti-growth politics and anti-capitalist resentments dressed up as environmentalism aren’t going to help us.

bigmack
07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Outstanding read. Thanks, GT. :ThmbUp:

He certainly climbed inside the mind of hcap:

As the greens struggle to figure out how a cause so righteous, so necessary has gone so far off course, the Kool-Aide drinkers among them have frenetically concocted and endlessly repeated a narrative that casts all blame on the vileness and the stupidity of their opponents.

GameTheory
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure what positions this guy has held in the past, but his take on the current green situation I think is spot on.

I extend the same kind of thinking to nearly every problem identified by the lefties. Yes there are problems, but their solutions are no good and won't work. When you try to point this out you're painted as a person who believes there are no problems and that nothing should be done. Well sometimes doing nothing is better than doing soemthing in the form of large scale goverment programs or even through global treaties.

The problem is that everyone believes that our government is where everything gets done, so they expect big government solutions which nowadays come in the form of 2,500 page laws filled with giveaways, exemptions, greed, racial preferences, taxes, etc. We are suffocating under the weight of government solutions, and this year alone could do us in because they are not done yet.As Thomas Sowell has noted of the left -- "stage one thinking". That is, I see a problem, it makes me feel bad, let's OUTLAW the problem, and then I can say I did good and I'm on the side of right. Does it matter if my solution actually worked, or if it in fact harms people? Nope, don't care, not listening -- stage one only please.

Regarding Mead, I think pretty much all his work is brilliant (I posted about him a couple years back when "God & Gold" came out -- great book). Of course, he's a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations so is part of the globalist Bilderberg Rockafeller, etc conspiracy to take over the world!