PDA

View Full Version : "incredible" Rachel works in fog

The_Knight_Sky
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Rachel works six furlongs in Saratoga fog By Dave Litfin
http://www1.drf.com/news/article/114706.html

With the sun barely at tree-top level and a thick fog shrouding most of the course, the reigning Horse of the Year came onto the track shortly before 6 a.m. and promptly went about her business under Shaun Bridgmohan, rambling through six furlongs in 1:12.45 seconds.

Rachel Alexandra galloped out seven-eighths in 1:25.80 and a mile in 1:38.40 before vanishing into the early-morning mist, much to the dismay of a dozen or so photographers who lined the rail.

As the 2009 Horse of the Year came off the track, trainer Steve Asmussen summed up her morning exercise succinctly: "She s Rachel, she s incredible," and added the daughter of Medaglia d'Oro remains on course to make her 18th career start in the 1 1/16-mile Lady's Secret on July 24.

46zilzal
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I'll wager she does not take a step in a race an inch over 9 furlongs the rest of the year.

Nikki1997
07-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Fine workout and Asmussen has every reason to be pleased .

A friend is up at the Spa and has posted some excellent photos of Rachel in full flight this morning on TBC ..

She is wearing the figure eight for this work, and is going straight with her mouth closed in every shot .

---Mikki

cj
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
I'll wager she does not take a step in a race an inch over 9 furlongs the rest of the year.

How much?

Grits
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
These seven photos at Thoroughbred Champions of her working this a.m. are nice. She sure looks to me like she's enjoying her early morning weather. There are photos on both pages, 194 and 195.

(Don't frequent TBC, but hopefully, the person who took these won't mind the link being posted here at PA.)

http://www.thoroughbredchampions.com/showthread.php?868-Rachel-Rachel-Rachel-All-Rachel-Rachel-The-Rachel-Time-Rachel!...2010!!/page194

Mineshaft
07-12-2010, 01:57 PM

If she goes over 9 furlongs shes toast. And i agree with you shes not a 10 furlong horse

Cratos
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM

It is a bad wager because if the circumstances avail themselves as they did in the 2009 Preakness she will run beyond 1 1/8 miles and win.

This does not say that her best distance is not distances up to 1 1/8 miles, but it does say that Rachel like the great Dr. Fager (my all time favorite) is not a router.

However given the opportunity and the right conditions she would be very competitive if not a consistent winner if the conditions were right.

Dr. Fager went to the post at 1 ¼ miles 5 times and won 3. His two losses were to the great Damascus and I believe the good Doctor finished second and third in those two losses.

Therefore there is hope for Rachel to achieve success beyond 1 1/8 miles.

joanied
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Grits...thanks for the link...some nice photos. I love the ones of her working...but why does Shaun have that right rein way out there...as if she was trying to lug in? Nice to see her head straight.
Other than that....fantastic!!

Dahoss9698
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
If she goes over 9 furlongs shes toast.

Like the Preakness?

Mineshaft
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Like the Preakness?

what im trying to say is she wont get a 1 1/4 against older horses

affirmedny
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Blame, Rail Trip, Battle Plan, Quality Road, and Zenyatta combined have exactly TWO wins at races > 9 furlongs. To say any of them is a good 1 1/4 horse is a stretch. QR at 0-2 is more suspect at the distance than Rachel. So what's your agenda (As if I didn't know,lol)?

cj
07-12-2010, 11:58 PM

Males? What about the Personal Ensign, against females?

Robert Goren
07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
I have no idea if she can get a mile and 1/4. She did look to me in the Preakness that she wanted no more. She has yet to prove that she is even the same filly as she was last year at a mile and 1/8, let alone go a mile and 1/4 against the best horses in the world. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. If the Breeders Cup Classic was being held this weekend, I would bet against her, but it is not.

Dahoss9698
07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
I have no idea if she can get a mile and 1/4. She did look to me in the Preakness that she wanted no more. She has yet to prove that she is even the same filly as she was last year at a mile and 1/8, let alone go a mile and 1/4 against the best horses in the world. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. If the Breeders Cup Classic was being held this weekend, I would bet against her, but it is not.

I don't think anyone is getting ahead of themselves. "Getting" 10 furlongs isn't as simple as most make it. In the Preakness she was up on the lead for most of the race. Same with the Woodward. With a sharp pace and if she is involved in the pace with another horse her ability to "get" 10 furlongs will decrease dramatically against top flight horses.

But if she is able to rate like she did in the Haskell or Mother Goose last year, there is no doubt she can "get" 10 furlongs. If the Haskell was 10 furlongs last year, she wins in a romp. It all depends on her ability to rate and the competition.

CincyHorseplayer
07-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Who said anything about a mile and a quarter??

That wasn't what the topic was about til Zil opened up the poop hole to crap on this thread.

The girl had a nice work.If that upsets you please,don't let us know about it!Solitude and misery is your business!;)

The_Knight_Sky
07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/315hovo.jpg

Jack Buck:
Come topless folks! Come topless. ;)

The_Knight_Sky
07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Rachel Alexandra

01/29/2006 F Medaglia d'Oro Lotta Kim

07/19/2010 SAR 4F :49.60 Dirt training Fast B
07/12/2010 SAR 6F 1:12.45 Dirt training Fast H
07/05/2010 SAR 5F 1:01.30 Dirt training Fast H
06/28/2010 CD 5F 1:03.00 Dirt Sloppy B
06/21/2010 CD 4F :51.20 Dirt Fast B
06/07/2010 CD 4F :49.20 Dirt Fast B
05/31/2010 CD 6F 1:11.20 Dirt Fast B

Her Saratoga Training Track works seems to be on the slow side for a superstar,
but I guess they don't want to tighten the screws at this point in the calendar year.

joanied
07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Rachel looks great in her works (by way of the photos I've seen)...I guess none of us knows yet who she'll be racing against in the Lady's Secret...but you can bet she won't need her 'screws tightened' to beat them:jump:

my_nameaintearl
07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
This is going to be my first time seeing her run live, and believe me im looking forward to it.

joanied
07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
get there early to get a good spot...you are lucky to be going!!

cpitt84
07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Any one know the time of rachel's race?

The_Knight_Sky
07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
get there early to get a good spot...you are lucky to be going!!

I'm expecting a lot of New Yorkers to make the trek from NYC.
They're heavily promoting the NJ Transit mode of travel.

Over / Under on the attendance figure :confused:

Gates open 11:30 am, first race 12:50 pm.
Grandstand Parking just $2
Grandstand admission just $3, Clubhouse admission $5.

NJ Transit offers service to Monmouth Park from New York Penn Station.
Go to NJTransit.com for a full list of the schedule. Be sure to purchase
the Monmouth Park Train Package when you purchase your train tickets -
includes Grandstand admission and Official Track Program.

PINK PARTY PATROL

Flaunt your filly power! Wear pink to support Rachel Alexandra and
receive a coupon good for FREE admission any day in August
or September (excludes Haskell and Steeplechase Festival).

The_Knight_Sky
07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Any one know the time of rachel's race?

I'lll make a guess - around 6-ish.

From Mr. Skirka's blog:

Word around the press office is that Rachel Alexandra will arrive
from Saratoga on Tuesday and school in the Monmouth Park paddock
at an undetermined time on Friday.

I thought I read elsewhere that Rachel will be in transport
on Wednesday. No matter. As long as she has enough toll money in her pocket. :ThmbUp:

joanied
07-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't know the times yet...but did read that TVG will show the Lady's Secret live:ThmbUp:

joanied
07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Got this from the Monmouth Park web site:

Those considering challenging the champion are Hark, from the Ian Wilkes barn; Queen Martha, trained by Patrick Biancone; Stage Trick, from the Alan Goldberg camp; Starship Angel, a Kiaran McLaughlin-trainee; and Yes She’s a Lady, from team Todd Pletcher.

Geeze...need to look them up, and wait til Wens. for the field...but they seem a pretty pathetic bunch...and the Cobra Man has one entered...wonder how much 'help' she'll be getting:eek: ...IMO, Rachel will need to win this by many lengths and in very good time...otherwise, the bashing will be pretty bad from a lot of folks.

Go, Rachel:jump:

The_Knight_Sky
07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't know the times yet...but did read that TVG
will show the Lady's Secret live:ThmbUp:

And the NTRA.com and Free Live Video from Monmouth Park's website

http://www.monmouthpark.com/video.aspx?id=252

46zilzal
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
It is amazing to me that this rivalry, as weak as it is, was not jumped upon and promoted as an adjunct to getting more fans out......Grantland Rice is turning over in his grave laughing at the missed opportunity as he was all over the Pimlico Special in the thirties.

joanied
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
It is amazing to me that this rivalry, as weak as it is, was not jumped upon and promoted as an adjunct to getting more fans out......Grantland Rice is turning over in his grave laughing at the missed opportunity as he was all over the Pimlico Special in the thirties.

Zilly....what are you talking about:confused:

joanied
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM
And the NTRA.com and Free Live Video from Monmouth Park's website

http://www.monmouthpark.com/video.aspx?id=252

I'll watch it on TVG...so I can record it, and also see it big screen:jump:

Is it Saturday yet :D

cpitt84
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I hope I can watch it on HRtv.

tucker6
07-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Zilly....what are you talking about:confused:
To know would be the last step toward insanity. Don't ask Joanie, or you'll end up like Zil, a Sovereign voter ...

cpitt84
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I just read on a blog site that two possible races for Rachel, after july 24th, is personal ensign and the woodward.

If rachel were to win by 10 lengths at lady's secret, should she run in the woodward?

only11
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I don't think anyone is getting ahead of themselves. "Getting" 10 furlongs isn't as simple as most make it. In the Preakness she was up on the lead for most of the race. Same with the Woodward. With a sharp pace and if she is involved in the pace with another horse her ability to "get" 10 furlongs will decrease dramatically against top flight horses.

But if she is able to rate like she did in the Haskell or Mother Goose last year, there is no doubt she can "get" 10 furlongs. If the Haskell was 10 furlongs last year, she wins in a romp. It all depends on her ability to rate and the competition.
Is that the same mother goose with the 3 horse field?

BluegrassProf
07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Is that the same mother goose with the 3 horse field?*insert latest only11 album, press shuffle and repeat*

only11
07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
*insert latest only11 album, press shuffle and repeat*
Im just saying do you have to mention a 3 horse field as any example whether she could rate ..serious?

only11
07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
*insert latest only11 album, press shuffle and repeat*
Funny you would say that since we are always hearing the same thing about RA..

joanied
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I hope I can watch it on HRtv.

Sometimes one or the other will have exclusive rights to air a race live...then the other one will show a tape delay...you'll have to check HRTV's scheduel, which is on their web site: www.hrtv.com (http://www.hrtv.com)

joanied
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
To know would be the last step toward insanity. Don't ask Joanie, or you'll end up like Zil, a Sovereign voter ...

:eek: ...no way, jose....I don't do Sovereign:lol:

joanied
07-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I just read on a blog site that two possible races for Rachel, after july 24th, is personal ensign and the woodward.

If rachel were to win by 10 lengths at lady's secret, should she run in the woodward?

If the Lady's Secret field is what it looks to be...she better win by ten!! But this race won't impact their desision as to where she runs next...it will depend on who enters those races....and we'll probably have to wait until the week before either of them before we know:faint:

Dahoss9698
07-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Im just saying do you have to mention a 3 horse field as any example whether she could rate ..serious?

You're getting pretty desperate, no? I made the post days ago. But if you watch the race (or had any idea of what you were watching) you'll see that she rated off a duel.

WinterTriangle
07-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Glad to see RA back up and running. I don't *know* what distance she is good for.

I do believe,however, that it's important to know your horse's best distance. Otherwise, running them at distances they do not excel at, esp. against tough competition, is hard on them. Horses don't have an infinite number of those kinds of races in them. I leave the best distance thing to the trainer, I doubt any of us here from the peanut gallery, since we don't train or work the horse, would be able to say what that is.

I don't remember all that I read last year after her tough campaign, wasn't it written somewhere that she was laying down after the Woodward for a few days, I dunno if I am remembering wrong, that can seem dangerously close to over-taxing a horse.

I don't believe in juicing the lemon, so hopefully, she will be campaigned sensibly. She really doesn't have to do anything more than she already has to impress me.