PDA

View Full Version : First Post...Figures and Opinions

furlong
07-12-2010, 12:14 AM
New to this website and have been poking around and must ask a question:
Do you believe that learning how to make some type of figures is important? I've noticed that there has been some discussion on various trainers that can be bet simply because they're that potent...no need for rigorous handicapping and such.

As you know prices/winners are becoming harder to come by as the loose money is fleeing to other venues. I consider myself young compared to most at the track, though I'm not a young man, and haven't had any success trying to get my friends to try 'capping. The effort isn't worth the results for most...you do it because it gets hold of some of us. My belief is that most people who play the ponies are pretty much the same in ability, of course there are those who actually show a profit(though I don't believe many), and luck plays a much bigger role than some would admit.

What would be the one thing you think would actually improve an individual's results? Would it relate to picking winners or finding value and showing discipline to play only when such value is present?

Thanks

Robert Goren
07-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Picking winners. If you can pick winners, you can figure out the rest of it. It seems like picking them is getting harder everyday.

thaskalos
07-12-2010, 12:24 AM
No matter how many winners you pick...you will still lose about 70% of your win bets, over-all.

The name of the game was, is, and always will be...FINDING VALUE!

PhantomOnTour
07-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I think learning how to use figures is more important than making your own, unless you are a very serious player. Discipline is crucial as well. You simply cannot play every race and show a profit long haul. You have landed on a great site to ask these types of questions. I have found folks here to be very generous with their handicapping advice on everything from figs to money mgmt to trainer moves etc....good luck and fell free to PM me if you have any questions...or just post 'em here.

carlonr
07-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I will pass on to you something a very wise (and extremely profitable) handicapper told me when I first started learning this game. He said "Son, 95% of the people at the race track are interested in only one thing - having the winner. Then theres 5% of us who are interested in only one other thing - winning money... And theres a world of difference between the two"

raybo
07-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I will pass on to you something a very wise (and extremely profitable) handicapper told me when I first started learning this game. He said "Son, 95% of the people at the race track are interested in only one thing - having the winner. Then theres 5% of us who are interested in only one other thing - winning money... And theres a world of difference between the two"

Sounds like the same guy who got me interested in the game, over 30 years ago.

If your goal is to profit, then you must treat it as a business, research, track your wagers, analyze what works and what doesn't. Find your niche.

The bottom line is risk vs reward. Demand value!

illinoisbred
07-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I think the best way to start is concentrate on 1 circuit. Develop an understanding of your track and how it plays under different weather conditions and maintenance routines.
Gain an understanding of the strength/riding styles of your local jockey colony. Some willingly send speed horses from the inside,some don't,or wait to see who else goes and may go after seeing what develops in the 1st 1/16 (we have 1 here in Il. that excels at this move).
Trainers are an important factor but most published stats really just scrape the surface. Knowing that a guy wins 50% 1st off a claim(Canani here) is not a big deal when he wins 50% overall. A further and deeper study may uncover he wins 75% when off 30-45 days and dropping after the claim. Generally,no betting value here,but you want to know that too.
I'm very partial to figures because I make my own pace and speed figures and feel they represent the most important tool. Its not necessary that you make them. If you use publically available figures(Beyer,Brisnet,etc.) you had better gain an understanding in how they're made and look to exploit situations where errors exist. A premium figure service(CJ's,etc) is probably the best option if you can afford it and they're accepting new accounts.

jonnielu
07-12-2010, 07:39 AM
New to this website and have been poking around and must ask a question:
Do you believe that learning how to make some type of figures is important? I've noticed that there has been some discussion on various trainers that can be bet simply because they're that potent...no need for rigorous handicapping and such.

As you know prices/winners are becoming harder to come by as the loose money is fleeing to other venues. I consider myself young compared to most at the track, though I'm not a young man, and haven't had any success trying to get my friends to try 'capping. The effort isn't worth the results for most...you do it because it gets hold of some of us. My belief is that most people who play the ponies are pretty much the same in ability, of course there are those who actually show a profit(though I don't believe many), and luck plays a much bigger role than some would admit.

What would be the one thing you think would actually improve an individual's results? Would it relate to picking winners or finding value and showing discipline to play only when such value is present?

Thanks

Find value and bet value. The more you learn about horseracing and the less you know about handicapping, this will be easier to do. You will also find value more where fields are full, 10 - 12 horses, and much less where only 6 are running.

jdl

46zilzal
07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Learning about number construction allows you to have a better understanding on how varied and often difficult it is to do.....CUMBERSOME too