PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get back at Nigerian Internet Scammers

Zippy Chippy
07-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Ever try to sell something on Craigslist only to get a response from someone in Nigeria that would like it, but can only pay by paypal or whatever crap they tell you? I promise you if you post electronics on CL, you will get 5x more scam replies than regular replies.

I like to mess w/ them but trying to figure out the best way to make them miserable. I usually tell them I will ship it but need a phone call first to make sure its not a scam. When they call me (yes i give them my actual cell phone #) i like to stall on the phone, tell them to hang on, etc, etc. They are buying calling cards to call me. It will eventually run out and they have to buy more. I just put my iphone on CL and got tons of scammers. One scammer wants me to ship the phone to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He already called and could barely speak any english. He will send the money as soon as I send him the UPS tracking number. Seems fair!!

Im wondering what the most ridiculous thing i can put in the iphone box. My first thought was to put a mousetrap in the box, but i could probably get in trouble if SCAMMER gets hurt. Then i thought to put a peice of meat in the sun all day and then put it in the box. Any other ideas??

Yes i know i have too much time on my hands but these idiots deserve it. I will go to the P.O tomorrow and send him something and send him the tracking number. Then im sure there will be no response ever from him. Until he gets the package.

GameTheory
07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Ever try to sell something on Craigslist only to get a response from someone in Nigeria that would like it, but can only pay by paypal or whatever crap they tell you? I promise you if you post electronics on CL, you will get 5x more scam replies than regular replies.

I like to mess w/ them but trying to figure out the best way to make them miserable. I usually tell them I will ship it but need a phone call first to make sure its not a scam. When they call me (yes i give them my actual cell phone #) i like to stall on the phone, tell them to hang on, etc, etc. They are buying calling cards to call me. It will eventually run out and they have to buy more. I just put my iphone on CL and got tons of scammers. One scammer wants me to ship the phone to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He already called and could barely speak any english. He will send the money as soon as I send him the UPS tracking number. Seems fair!!

Im wondering what the most ridiculous thing i can put in the iphone box. My first thought was to put a mousetrap in the box, but i could probably get in trouble if SCAMMER gets hurt. Then i thought to put a peice of meat in the sun all day and then put it in the box. Any other ideas??

Yes i know i have too much time on my hands but these idiots deserve it. I will go to the P.O tomorrow and send him something and send him the tracking number. Then im sure there will be no response ever from him. Until he gets the package.It sounds like you are on the verge of breaking federal law to get back at a scammer that hasn't even scammed you. Think about what you are doing.

Zippy Chippy
07-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Well i was thinking of maybe just drawing a picture of an iphone. Its a scam believe me. Watching the special on these people on Dateline is maddening, scamming old people out of their life savings.

GameTheory
07-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't doubt it. Just don't be so stupid as to send anything "threatening" via the mail.

turfnsport
07-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Send them fish.

GameTheory
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Send them fish.You can be fined for dead fish, moldy food, etc.

bigmack
07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
You can be fined for dead fish, moldy food, etc.
There's a joint out of Buffalo that will send such things as melted chocolates, wilted roses and dead fish.
http://www.thepayback.com/getrevenge.html

They have envelopes, et al.

http://www.thepayback.com/images/env_rat.gif

lamboguy
07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
There's a joint out of Buffalo that will send such things as melted chocolates, wilted roses and dead fish.
http://www.thepayback.com/getrevenge.html

They have envelopes, et al.

http://www.thepayback.com/images/env_rat.gif
good thing to have!

TJDave
07-12-2010, 01:14 AM
There are actually web sites dedicated to rat****ing these bastards. Best strategies on how to string them along. Do a search.

boxcar
07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Zippy, you have far, far too much time on your hands. Are you bored stiff? Don't you have more constructive ways to spend your time? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Dick Schmidt
07-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Zippy, you have far, far too much time on your hands. Are you bored stiff? Don't you have more constructive ways to spend your time? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Yeah, Zip, do something more constructive. Like posting 9300+ times on the PA board.

Dick

I enjoy being weird, it's the lack of money that keeps me from being eccentric.

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Like posting 9300+ times on the PA board.Hey! :lol:

onefast99
07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Does anyone still get the email scams where the Royal family member in Nigeria has been safely moved to England and they now need your bank account number to wire in the $25m of which you are paid 10% or more to help. How is it anyone falls for this?

Sericm
07-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Does anyone still get the email scams where the Royal family member in Nigeria has been safely moved to England and they now need your bank account number to wire in the $25m of which you are paid 10% or more to help. How is it anyone falls for this?

1. Because they are STUPID!
2. Because they are looking for the proverbial golden egg.

sandpit
07-14-2010, 11:51 PM
1. Because they are STUPID!
2. Because they are looking for the proverbial golden egg.

Some people shouldn't be breeding, which results in things like this:

http://www.manolith.com/2009/09/29/the-20-stupidest-things-people-have-named-their-kids/

highnote
07-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Some people shouldn't be breeding, which results in things like this:

http://www.manolith.com/2009/09/29/the-20-stupidest-things-people-have-named-their-kids/

I'd take the name Dweezil Zappa over the name Joseph Smith any day.

I really do know a Joe Smith who lives in NYC and I assume my friend Joe Smith is one of very many Joe Smiths in NYC, but I bet there is only one Dweezil Zappa.

Zippy Chippy
07-17-2010, 08:29 AM
I took the highroad and just had him call me a few times, which was great fun. I was giddy when i saw the country code 234 come up on my caller ID. Atleast this guy had to spend a few bucks to get calling cards to call me. I dont understand why its always Nigeria.

GameTheory
07-17-2010, 09:06 AM
I took the highroad and just had him call me a few times, which was great fun. I was giddy when i saw the country code 234 come up on my caller ID. Atleast this guy had to spend a few bucks to get calling cards to call me. I dont understand why its always Nigeria.Because there is a huge culture of fraud there. Understand that these are big businesses that have been around forever -- they were doing the same thing before the internet came along with paper mail. And the letters are just initial bait to get you interested, it doesn't end there. They want to con a few small sums out of you (for "bribes" and such), but if you are really a sucker they want you to actually go to Nigeria where you are set-up for a much bigger con involving laundering a suitcase of money. A handful of these people go and never come back, or get beaten up quite severely. (Depending on your reaction when you realize you've been conned and all your money is gone.) They really have no shame whatsoever about it -- rich greedy fools deserve to have their money taken away...

highnote
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
If I recall correctly 60 Minutes or some other show did story on the Nigerian internet scams.

JustRalph
11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/02/1806286/fayetteville-police-accuse-woman.html

Accomplice arrested here in the states