PDA

View Full Version : Being raced weekly

jognlope
07-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Unbridled Danger was in a stakes last week, came in fourth, came in 2nd today in 2nd or 3rd race at B. So it's okay to race a horse weekly, because apparently he can withstand it? Every time I look at the entries, he seems to be in there.

Spalding No!
07-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Unbridled Danger was in a stakes last week, came in fourth, came in 2nd today in 2nd or 3rd race at B. So it's okay to race a horse weekly, because apparently he can withstand it? Every time I look at the entries, he seems to be in there.
I suppose a big part of it is how he is trained in the interim.

jognlope
07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Well hopefully he's just a tough bugger.

Dahoss9698
07-11-2010, 03:33 PM
We need more horses like him around. Granted, the start in the Suburban was a joke, but at least he runs.

cj
07-11-2010, 03:36 PM
His trainer should give classes on the sturdiness of horses, just don't let him talk about where to enter.

toussaud
07-11-2010, 03:44 PM
they do it all the time over in aussie land. you watch friday night Australian racing and you generally see the same horses every week

duncan04
07-11-2010, 05:57 PM
they do it all the time over in aussie land. you watch friday night Australian racing and you generally see the same horses every week

Very true! And they do it without Bute or Lasix. Drug free.

Robert Goren
07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Very true! And they do it without Bute or Lasix. Drug free. That maybe the reason they are able to do it.

nijinski
07-11-2010, 11:34 PM

He ran sixth beating one horse in the Suburban.
Today he ran his heart out in a starter allowance for his 77th start.

My problem is not that he is brought back so quickly , but I wish he would get a break . or a season off, being he is such a hard knocking sort.
Seeing his effort today , I am not expecting him to run very big in a week or
two.
BTW , they race on grass in Aussie.
Just my opinion.

WinterTriangle
07-12-2010, 01:31 AM
The horse's race record is 84-5-7

Yes, obviously Robert Young knows something about horses that the 'great' trainers don't. Good thing he owns the horse and doesn't have owners to contend with. I doubt they'd be happy paying him for that kind of *success*.

I'm sure just running a horse isn't the goal for most. You don't win this way.

Dahoss9698
07-12-2010, 02:15 AM
The horse's race record is 84-5-7

Yes, obviously Robert Young knows something about horses that the 'great' trainers don't. Good thing he owns the horse and doesn't have owners to contend with. I doubt they'd be happy paying him for that kind of *success*.

I'm sure just running a horse isn't the goal for most. You don't win this way.

In your expert opinion, how should this horse be handled? He was claimed for 10k. He has limited ability, but he's running and doing it competively in spots where he can't be claimed away. He finished second today, earned an 89 Beyer and another check.

salty
07-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Most horses at suffolk race weekly

GlenninOhio
07-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I think shipping is an important consideration.

It's one thing when they fall out of their stalls to run in a race and it's quite another thing when they ship which, even for those who "ship well", takes a lot out of them.

I ran a stakes quality mare at Hawthorne (shipped from Ky) and then ran her 12 days later at Mountaineer. She ran second each time but she never raced again (multiple injuries) and I'll never forgive myself for allowing this to happen.

lamboguy
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
We need more horses like him around. Granted, the start in the Suburban was a joke, but at least he runs.
damn straight!

the more they run, the sounder they stay

PurplePower
07-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Very true! And they do it without Bute or Lasix. Drug free.
That maybe the reason they are able to do it. Amazing! Absolutely amazing what perception is sometime.

Here is a list from the Australian Rules of Racing that names drugs EXCLUDED from the Australian Rules of Racing "prohibited" drug list (meaning that these drugs CAN be in a horse's system in ANY amount on race day).
"The following substances are excepted from the provisions of
AR 178B:
antimicrobials (antibiotics) and other anti-infective agents
with the exception of procaine penicillin
antiparasitics
ranitidine
omeprazole
ambroxol
bromhexine
dembrexine
vaccines against infectious agents
orally administered glucosamine
orally administered chondroitin sulphate
altrenogest when administered to fillies and mares"

In the United States there can be NOTHING (legally) administered to a horse orally on race day, yet in Australia they can give a horse glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate ON RACE DAY provided they feed it. A horse testing positive for an antibiotic post race in US will be disqualified - not in Australia. Ranitidine (anit-ulcer medication) can have a "tranquilizing" effect on horses. Horses can race on that drug in Australia, but NOT in the United States.

In addition, there is a LONG list of drugs (including ASPIRIN, ARSENIC, HYDROCORTISONE to name 3) for which there is a "maximum threshold" meaning that the drug CAN be in a racehorse's system on RACE DAY as long as they are not above a certain level. You can read it for yourselves at AUSTRALIAN RULES OF RACING - DRUG SECTION AR178C (http://www.racingvictoria.net.au/asset/cms/Rules%20of%20Racing%20PDF/Updated%20Rules%20of%20Racing/Updated%20Rules%20of%20Racing%20-%201%20August%202010.pdf)

The ONLY drug we allow that they don't allow is Lasix. They only call a horse a bleeder is if it bleeds out "both nostrils" - they apparently don't worry about one that is bleeding in its lungs as long as it does not come out that horse's nostrils.

Yet AUSTRALIAN RACING is going to out last ours? :bang:

Igeteven
07-13-2010, 12:49 AM
damn straight!

the more they run, the sounder they stay

Not on poly crap, if that horse was in California, the horse would have broken down by now.

domino1891
07-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Most horses at suffolk race weekly

What is most?

I just looked up the entrants in 2 random races. I either hit 2 oddball races or your statement is a gross exaggeration.

Seabiscuit@AR
07-13-2010, 08:23 AM
The general time between runs in Australia would be around the 14 day mark

lamboguy
07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Not on poly crap, if that horse was in California, the horse would have broken down by now.
i hate polytrack, but there are differences. the stuff they run on in presque isles is not so bad. i had to pull out of woodbine because all our horses got injuries there just like california. the training centers in florida and pollytrack don't go together well.

therussmeister
07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
What is most?

I just looked up the entrants in 2 random races. I either hit 2 oddball races or your statement is a gross exaggeration.
I played Suffolk for the first (and last) time last Aug-Sep, and last year they did run every week. I did notice they aren't running so often this year.