PDA

View Full Version : Any AOdds Super Gold 98 Users Under Win 7?

lsosa54
07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Been using it for years under Win XP without a problem but can't seem to get it registered properly under Win 7 32 bit. Running it under XP Compatibilty mode doesn't help. It will install but when you go run it, you get a registration error. I'm using the same disk and key I originally used on XP.

Error reads:

Sorry, AOdds Super Gold 98 isn't registered on this machine! You must reinstall AOdds Super Gold 98 from the original disks!

Then I get an error msg: Exception EInvalidPointer in module AOSG98.exe at 00003086. Invalid pointer operation.

And finally: Runtime error 216 @ 00046B90
Runtime error 216 @ 000410FS

Any help appreciated. Thanks

JimG
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I can't specifically help since I use XP, but you may want to contact the programmer, Randy Kovach and he will likely be able to get you going. If you need his contact info, drop me a pm and I will get it to you.

Jim

Partsnut
07-11-2010, 07:34 AM
lsosa54:
Been using it for years under Win XP without a problem but can't seem to get it registered properly under Win 7 32 bit. Running it under XP Compatibilty mode doesn't help. It will install but when you go run it, you get a registration error. I'm using the same disk and key I originally used on XP.

Hi Lou,

It is my understanding that in order to run the older XP programs on Windows 7
you need to have the Professional (Ultimate Version). The basic Windows 7 won't run XP programs. Additionally, the new version of Windows Virtual Machine has to be installed.
I am not using Window7 & and I could be wrong but you should check it out.
Please let me know.

lsosa54
07-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Bill: I run Win 7 Ultimate and with DosBox can run all my old Dos programs. Since AOdds is a windows program, I didn't think I needed the Virtual PC part. Win XP compatibility mode didn't help.

Unfortunately, I have a 2006 Acer laptop with one of the early Core Duo processors, the T2050, which doesn't come with the Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x, needed to run Virtual PC. Thank you Intel!

I dual boot XP and Win 7 so I'll have to keep running it under XP until I get a new lappy.

arfpuppy
07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi,

Try running the program as an administrator and see of this works. It does for
me.

lsosa54
07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks arf but no go for me. What computer are you running it on under Win 7?

Hi,

Try running the program as an administrator and see of this works. It does for
me.

arfpuppy
07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi again,

I have a computer that I built myself with an ASUS P5Q motherboard with a quad core pentium. Maybe you could try reinstalling the program and then try running it as an administrator.

levinmpa
07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
VMware has a couple of free products that might be helpful to you. If you have an old Win98 CD, or even Win 2000 or XP, you can run them virtually in Windows 7 using VMware's Server or Player products. I prefer to use VMware Server 1.X as opposed to the 2.x product. The latest 1.x version is 1.0.10, which you can get here => VMware Server Free Download (http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_server/1_0)

Neither VMware Server or Player require any type of special virtualization support in the processor or bios. You don't even need a multi-core CPU. I run 2 virtual machines on an old Pentium 4 single core PC and they run just fine.

Install VMware Server. Create a new virtual machine, selecting the windows version you have a CD for. Tell it how much hard drive space you want to give it and how much RAM, and install the OS. Once your OS is installed, you can run your older apps in their native environment, keeping them completely seperate from the Windows 7 OS. You can also snapshot your guest VM installation, so that if you screw something up, you can go back in time to the point that you created the snapshot. Great product and extremely useful. I use VMware products daily and am continually amazed at what I'm able to do virtually.

Another really cool thing you can do with VMware is take a physical machine and convert it to a virtual machine. This is great for backups. Download the free VMware Converter and convert your entire physical computer, OS, applications, everything, into a Virtual Machine that can boot up under VMware Server. If your physical computer ever craps out with a bad hard drive or malfunctioning motherboard, you can just boot up the Virtual Machine and you're back in business.

lsosa54
07-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi again,

I have a computer that I built myself with an ASUS P5Q motherboard with a quad core pentium. Maybe you could try reinstalling the program and then try running it as an administrator.

Even though I had tried it a couple of times, I did reinstall, ran it as an administrator under Win XP SP3 compatibility mode, and voila, it worked. Thanks for the advice.

lsosa54
07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
VMware has a couple of free products that might be helpful to you. If you have an old Win98 CD, or even Win 2000 or XP, you can run them virtually in Windows 7 using VMware's Server or Player products. I prefer to use VMware Server 1.X as opposed to the 2.x product. The latest 1.x version is 1.0.10, which you can get here => VMware Server Free Download (http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_server/1_0)

I did it get it working under Win 7 but I appreciate your advice. I decided to try Virtualbox instead of VMWare, as I had never created a virtual drive before and it sounded interesting. Went smoothly and then I installed Win XP Pro SP3 within the virtual drive, and it works great. I will use it if I need to test anything down the road.

lsosa54
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Just bought a new laptop running Win 7 64 bit and just so everyone knows, the AOdds installer will not work on 64 bit systems. I did confirm this with Randy Kovach, who programmed AOdds.

I may try to copy over my Win XP Virtual Box drive to the new machine and see if I can make it work that way. Still not sure if I can copy a 32 bit based virtual drive over to work on a 64 bit system but I'll play with it.

keenang
08-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Iso:
My new comp. has windows 7. I hate it. I have never had so much trouble trying to get programs to work. It is such a change from all the other operating software.I hope you can get your stuff to work.
Geno

atlasaxis
09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know if A-Odds Super GOLD 98 creates a fair/true odds line? Anyone selling theirs? Thanks. Tom

maddog42
09-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know if A-Odds Super GOLD 98 creates a fair/true odds line? Anyone selling theirs? Thanks. Tom

Here is the ebay auction going on now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handicapping-Classic-A-Odds-Super-GOLD-98-/160883791541?pt=US_Solo_Sports_Fan_Shop&hash=item25756bd6b5

$49.95 starting bid and no bids yet. Doesn't show up on Ebay very often.
And no it is not my auction.

nlanesboro
10-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi I am having the exact same problem. If you find an answer please let me know and same back at ya. thanks Neil

nlanesboro
10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
hi guys

Isee there was troible with AODDS 98 in 2010. Well i just got a copy and I have same problem with registering. If any one has a solution I would be very very grateful. thanks Neil

lsosa54
10-17-2012, 06:01 AM
The installer won't work under Win 7 64 bit. The program might but you can't install it. It may install on Win 7 32 bit, don't know.

I run it under an Oracle Virtualbox Win XP Pro 32 bit virtual machine no problem.

crusader222
10-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Hi,I have been a lurker here for many years and recently I bought a truline 2000 program on e-bay.Surprising it installed on my windows 7 laptop without a problem.I have the manuel and contacted Jim Selvidge who surprisingly is still alive.He informed me there is a truline 2012. Anyone know anything about this new version and I would also appreciate any information you might have as to the old truline 2000.I know there is a truline 2000 thread but it did not yield anything productive for me.Thanks

word13
10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
hi guys

Isee there was troible with AODDS 98 in 2010. Well i just got a copy and I have same problem with registering. If any one has a solution I would be very very grateful. thanks Neil

Neil, if your running it on xp then I may be able to help with your issue. If your running it on a diff operating system I can't help.

Send me a pm

D