PDA

View Full Version : Vacation time

Tom
08-30-2001, 10:13 PM
Just got back from Woodbine-went there for a few days vacation. What a beautiful track, although I can't believe that they closed off the ground floor!
They hav a nice system for simulcasting and live racing in a very comfortable setting. The sound on each TV comes up for the race then goes down after it is over, so you can actually hear race calls.
The nicest thing was that you could bet with Amrican money, then when you lose, you can lose 45% more due to the exchange rate. ~G~
All in all, a real place to go and bet horses, and the people are pretty friendly, too-a lot of them will just talk to you liek they came with you. I sat next to an owner who talkd about his horse in the 9th like Baffert talks about Point Given. Too bad, he came up lame.

I found a great bet today - a first-time turf horse with a Tomlinson rating 0f 300+ and nothing else close to that and a bunch of "oh-fer's" on turf. He was 15-1 and I entertained thoughts of writting an article for ATM about turf handicapping. The only bad thing was when they came down the stretch, they were running on dirt!
The turf race was the next one!

Saratoga has always been my August getaway, but IMO the racing there this year is so bad I am not even watching the simulcasts. I see the race, can't believe who won, then watch the replay and still can't believe it. I never went there for the ambiance-I think it is the worst track in the country to go to-no matter where you are, you can't watch the race clearly. Always overcrowded and uncomfortable. But the racing made up for it all, until this year. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't ever remember so many good looking horses failing to fire and so many pigs coming flying home like Man 'o War. Woodbine is closer and now, Like General Motors, my cash is going over the border. Mayber Frank Stronach will let me use his box when is out of town?

Here's a tip if you go to WO - bring your own bread!
Every bread I had - hot dog bun, hamburg bun, raost beef onion roll - was stale! I think there is a bread-plague in Cananda.

Tom

Some_One
08-30-2001, 10:30 PM
The first floor is the slot floor I believe. Last time I went to Woodbine for opening day I didn't go to the slots so I'm not sure. But I'm going up for the Mile so I'll check. If you wanted to get to the rail, you should have gone to the second floor, out the sliding doors and down the stairs. Glad you enjoyed Woodbine, it is a beautiful track and everytime I talk to an American I tryed to hype up Woodbine. The bread thing is strange, you have to remember bread comes from wheat and we have about 2.5 provinces that are full of wheat. Maybe we should stop shipping the good stuff down south, eh?

Tom
08-30-2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Some_One
The first floor is the slot floor I believe. Last time I went to Woodbine for opening day I didn't go to the slots so I'm not sure. But I'm going up for the Mile so I'll check. If you wanted to get to the rail, you should have gone to the second floor, out the sliding doors and down the stairs. Glad you enjoyed Woodbine, it is a beautiful track and everytime I talk to an American I tryed to hype up Woodbine. The bread thing is strange, you have to remember bread comes from wheat and we have about 2.5 provinces that are full of wheat. Maybe we should stop shipping the good stuff down south, eh?

Nice to hear from you. I went down to the rail like you said and found out I had to walk back up the stairs. Not that I am lazy, but I was on vacation there were so many steps......
I used to sit down there at the "Blue" stand and enjoy Canada's other great asset.
The bread thing must be spreading-I just made a sandwhich at home and the bread was stale. Maybe I am cursed?
One thing for sure, I am adding Woodbine to my weekend and Wednesday PM line up. I have a real tight pace model after three days of racing and I am going to play that sucker until it goes away or I hit a million.
I might go back up for the mile - maybe I can fiond an excuse to go to Oshawa on business that Monday or Friday. We are going to start doing business with Chyrsler in Missisagua(?) excuse the spelling. That is right around the corner. Looks like I going to Canada a lot more often-got to take care of your customers (HEHEHE).

Tom

Some_One
08-30-2001, 10:58 PM
Umm, Oshawa is east of Toronto, Miss..whatever is west of Toronto. Personally, I usually bet on the turf races only at Woodbine (had Mr. Epperson in the Play The King on Saturday), best value I think has some weird things usually happen on the dirt.

Tom
08-31-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Some_One
Umm, Oshawa is east of Toronto, Miss..whatever is west of Toronto. Personally, I usually bet on the turf races only at Woodbine (had Mr. Epperson in the Play The King on Saturday), best value I think has some weird things usually happen on the dirt.

I go to the GM plant in Oshawa and the Chrysler plant in Missasauga(?).

Woodbine is strategically located for me to better serve my customers (yadda, yadda, yadda).

Man, that turf course is something else-looks like the stretch is a mile long. Love Woodbine! I am paying it today and this weekend again.
Tom