PDA

View Full Version : Hot Horses

Tom
07-10-2010, 12:41 AM
So with this tremendous heat wave the past week, what effect will it have on horses who ran hard races in it? Will we see sharp horses suddenly going off form from exertion in hot weather?

Or, is a bad race this week an automatic throw out?

sammy the sage
07-10-2010, 06:57 AM
those shipping in to calder...and favored...throw-outs for me...

they gottA HAVE at least two local works...been there around 3 weeks to REALLY get acclimated...

far as those races in the n.e...total crap shoot...would guess if there's ANY shipper's running from calder or tex./la....BET them...

of course they're expecting some cooling rain now....

long term...don't know the heat ramifications..

DRIVEWAY
07-10-2010, 12:33 PM
So with this tremendous heat wave the past week, what effect will it have on horses who ran hard races in it? Will we see sharp horses suddenly going off form from exertion in hot weather?

Or, is a bad race this week an automatic throw out?

Obviously, there is no easy answer. Expect horses that ran big and return in short order(less than 20 days) to reproduce their efforts. Those that take 30+ days to return are suspect. A warm weather horse can run 3-4 big races in a row.

Horses that ran poorly in the heat after prior good efforts are harder to predict. Often the experience is all that's needed to revert to prior good form. Others are not the same in hot weather and should be passed over. Again the DSLR should be a reasonable guide. Two weak efforts and wait for cooler weather. Most quality trainers are not going to burn up their stock in no chance situations anyway.

Look at the horses in the walking ring. Horses with their heads up are enjoying the conditions. Others with their chins dragging on the ground are not happy.

Only bet on happy horses.

lamboguy
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
those shipping in to calder...and favored...throw-outs for me...

they gottA HAVE at least two local works...been there around 3 weeks to REALLY get acclimated...

far as those races in the n.e...total crap shoot...would guess if there's ANY shipper's running from calder or tex./la....BET them...

of course they're expecting some cooling rain now....

long term...don't know the heat ramifications..
my horses need about a month over the surface at calder to run to their best.

sammy the sage
07-10-2010, 09:09 PM
whilst I do contribute VERY infrequently... ;)

http://www.drf.com/

""Jessica Is Back completed an unprecedented, clean sweep by locally based horses of the four graded stakes on Saturday s rich Summit of Speed program at Calder""

hope at least someone else did well......