PDA

View Full Version : A trip down memory lane: Archives of Barbara Livingston

Grits
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Over two hundred photos taken at Saratoga and elsewhere of past horses, jockeys, and trainers from the sport's premiere photographer and author, Barbara Livingston.

Roll cursor over thumbnail to enlarge.

ENJOY.

http://barbaradlivingston.photoshelter.com/gallery/Older-horse-racing-photographs-Saratoga-and-elsewhere/G0000aJ9mQzEie8k/

(Linked from Equidaily)

joanied
07-09-2010, 09:54 PM
OHMYGod...those photos are wonderful...thanks so much for posting them, Grits...brought back so many gopod memories...some sad ones too...seeing Chris Antley's beautiful face...amd Mike Venezia...my ex husband was a very close friend of Mike's...Mike was a true good guy, he'd give you the shirt off his back...he was loved by everyone...geeze:( And Jakyln Klugman...I had a gelding by him, here in WY. someone I know kind of rescued him from the track...he couldn't run much and Mr. Klugman didn't give a crap what happened to him...he just wanted him gone...so my friend took him and gave him to me...we actually used him for rounding up our cattle...he was a sweet horse.
many memories...thanks again:) :) :)

Ocala Mike
07-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Isn't she the one who did "Old Friends"? Somewhere, I have an autographed copy of that book which I bought because one of the horses featured in it was ISLAND WHIRL, who I had a stallion syndicate share of at the time.

Ocala Mike

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
geeez......woody stevens, cordero, mccaron, even jerry bailey looks good. could all those years and wonderful memories have slipped that quickly by ?

wonderful......but meloncoly. thank god for places like saratoga. they're so special and make our lives worth living.

Jasonm921
07-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Barbara has a huge collection of wonderful photos. When I was a teenager and still learning how to shoot she would help me out a great deal.

GARY Z
07-10-2010, 06:39 AM
One of the great posts on PA, pure spine tingling photos.

Great Job Grits,,

Gary

illinoisbred
07-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Nice to see a picture of Sally Bailie. I remember her very good horse Win-though Didn't find a picture of him.

illinoisbred
07-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Nice photo of Ruben Hernandez-brought back memories of 2 of the most exciting stretch duels I can recall-early 80's Arlington Classic and American Derby-Wolfies Rascal vs Dew Line.

Trotman
07-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Grits thanks for the memories great post. I've been going to Saratoga for 35-40 years and then back when I was a teen Dad and I would go there each summer for the meet.Saratoga in my mind has always been the pinnicle of horse racing. :ThmbUp:

illinoisbred
07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I've been to Saratoga just once-as a child with the family on our way to see the World's Fair in Montreal in August of 1967. It's a day I've never forgotten and no other track experience has ever compared.

Hedevar
07-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks Grits. Timely Writer brought back some memories.

Trotman
07-10-2010, 09:18 AM
You know I just got to thinking about this thread and took another look at it. IMO this thread probably will go on and on with all positive comments and memories, and to think this year the meet of all meets was in jeporady because of everything going on with the state and NYRA and I can't figure out how you can as they have F#%? this up.

FenceBored
07-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the pointer, Grits. Lots of great galleries.

Check out this picture of Bid at 26.

http://barbaradlivingston.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Spectacular-Bid-at-age-26-Milfer-Farm-summer-2002/G0000ULqpELF7ssk/I0000Gx6I6flBZYA

And don't miss the zorse (http://barbaradlivingston.photoshelter.com/gallery/Spots-N-Stripes-Zantazia-a-lovely-zorse-zebra-horse-cross-at-Spots-N-Stripes-Ranch/G0000A5mKOASCBD0/).