PDA

View Full Version : Open your mouth....swallow the ducky

JustRalph
07-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I personally don't think the Repubs take back the house and gain little in the Senate.......there might be some gains........but I am skeptical. Either way...
Harry and Nancy are going to shove some things down our throat no matter what happens in the election............according to them........

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704293604575343262629361470.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

The Obama-Pelosi Lame Duck Strategy
Union 'card-check,' cap and trade, and so much more.

By JOHN FUND

Democratic House members are so worried about the fall elections they're leaving Washington on July 30, a full week earlier than normal—and they won't return until mid-September. Members gulped when National Journal's Charlie Cook, the Beltway's leading political handicapper, predicted last month "the House is gone," meaning a GOP takeover. He thinks Democrats will hold the Senate, but with a significantly reduced majority.

The rush to recess gives Democrats little time to pass any major laws. That's why there have been signs in recent weeks that party leaders are planning an ambitious, lame-duck session to muscle through bills in December they don't want to defend before November. Retiring or defeated members of Congress would then be able to vote for sweeping legislation without any fear of voter retaliation.

"I've got lots of things I want to do" in a lame duck, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D., W. Va.) told reporters in mid June. North Dakota's Kent Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, wants a lame-duck session to act on the recommendations of President Obama's deficit commission, which is due to report on Dec. 1. "It could be a huge deal," he told Roll Call last month. "We could get the country on a sound long-term fiscal path." By which he undoubtedly means new taxes in exchange for extending some, but not all, of the Bush-era tax reductions that will expire at the end of the year.

more at the link

ArlJim78
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
the house is a sure thing Ralph, count on it. i'm hopeful on the senate but it will be tougher to take. for sure there will be gains.

rastajenk
07-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Gains, yes. A majority, I don't think so. For all the good the Tea Partiers have done in pumping up the anti-incumbent volume, there's still a lot of "He may be a sonofabitch, but he's our sonofabitch" attitude out there. At least, there always is; I think there's enough to protect the Dems' leadership.

Plus, the Dems aren't above a little election chicanery if they need some key races late on Election Night. Just imagine, it all comes down to a handful of close contests out west to determine House leadership..."Cheat, you say? Well, we don't call it that, but that's a great idea!!" ;)

LutherCalvin
07-10-2010, 08:06 AM
The voter anger in this country is palpable and the bums in the House will be thrown out. The Senate will be more iffy, but the Republicans will pick up seats. I know for sure that Senate Majority Leader is a goner- President Obama just gave him the 'kiss of death' by campaigning for him. Go Tea Partiers, you represent the best of Amerca!

Tom
07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I am past the next election.
I want tar and feathers

DJofSD
07-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I am past the next election.
I want tar and feathers
I'll take something with a bit more pain. Julius Ceasar had a way to motivate his army. I'd used the same tactic on the political class.

fast4522
07-10-2010, 08:21 PM
We all want something more than breaking even, I am happy to just break even in a election cycle. The problem is when we as a people are what have you done for me today and then everybody is wearing kneepads because who cares about delivery when there is no accountability. You want to be have it my ways in the sense of 100 different things then bend over now. You must stand for something or you will stand for anything, as the song goes.