PDA

View Full Version : Strange Pop up on my HP Pavilion Laptop

Vinman
07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I've recently had this message pop up upon starting my computer....

Error loading C:\\windows\azexejigu.dll
The specified module could not be found

I click on the message, it goes away and nothing is amiss untill hours later I get disconnected from my wireless connection to AOL, accompanied by the brief appearance of a blue screen with a whole bunch of text that goes away before I can read it. So I restart the computer and click away the above message when it reappears and go on my merry way.

Questions...

What is the meaning of the above message? Why is it occurring? How can I make it go away? I am a current Norton Security subscriber.

Any connection between the above pop-up message and the subsequent disconnection and appearance of the blue screen with the text?

Thanx.....Vinman

DJofSD
07-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I would be very suspicious. This smells like a virus or some other kind of malware.

I do not find azexejigu.dll on my computers.

A search of the internet for hits for either azexejigu.dll or azexejigu does not turn up anything. You might try it yourself using your search engine of choice.

Some process is looking for that DLL file. It could be legitimate. If you can determine what task has attempted to run and needs the DLL, it might look familiar to you. If it is legitimate then you might need to reinstall the application to recover the missing DLL file. OTOH, if it is not familiar then further investigation is warrented.

In any event, try installing CCleaner from Piriform software and running it. Warning: if you run CCleaner right out of the box without changing some of the default options, it might delete some things like cookies that you might not want deleted.

Others will likely have other suggestions about how to scan your system for invalid software, bad registry settings, virus and other malware. Adware comes to mind.

GameTheory
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Gibberish file names often come from viruses. Do a thorough virus scan.

traveler
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
CCleaner is good. Look into also Installing Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster, both are free and shouldn't interfere with Norton

Vinman
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys.....I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that a file with a dll suffix is a file that is pre-installed with the computer as new.

If not, should this file simply be deleted?

What does the dll suffix indicate in terms of the type of file it is?

Vinman

JustRalph
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
The first message means that the dll is required by a program or startup service at boot and it cannot find it............

What version of windows? and did you spell the name of the dll right? make sure and repost it.........because as far as I can tell it doesn't exist ?

The second blue screen is the "blue screen of death" a memory dump and total crash of your system..........btw......this is serious........there will come a time when you won't be able to restart the machine eventually. back up what you need asap.

You have a sick computer and need a good tech to investigate it or you can throw it in the river now........ because that is what you are going to want to do in near future when it is nothing but a boat anchor, brick, etc........

GameTheory
07-09-2010, 03:05 PM
A dll file contains routines that can be called by another program -- it is basically a program and could have anything at all in it to do who knows what. Some viruses will create a dll on-the-fly with a random name -- so you could delete this one and another will just appear. The dll is only a symptom, you need to clean your computer ASAP. Get all the latest virus updates, and do a scan. DISCONNECT from the internet (unplug it) as soon as you are ready -- you don't want this thing "calling home". It is possible it is not a virus, just something screwy. But first things first. What you don't want to be doing is sitting around chatting with us while it is doing who knows what in the background.

dartman51
07-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I've recently had this message pop up upon starting my computer....

Error loading C:\\windows\azexejigu.dll
The specified module could not be found

I click on the message, it goes away and nothing is amiss untill hours later I get disconnected from my wireless connection to AOL, accompanied by the brief appearance of a blue screen with a whole bunch of text that goes away before I can read it. So I restart the computer and click away the above message when it reappears and go on my merry way.

Questions...

What is the meaning of the above message? Why is it occurring? How can I make it go away? I am a current Norton Security subscriber.

Any connection between the above pop-up message and the subsequent disconnection and appearance of the blue screen with the text?

Thanx.....Vinman.

DON'T PANIC. First of all, the fact that you got the error message is probably a good thing. Norton probably got rid of the module that it is looking for. If it can't find it, it can't run. If you are running XP, go to your start menu and click on search, then type in the name of the file. When you find the location, probably in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, folder. DELETE IT. A DLL, or dynamic linked library, file can't do anything by it self. Another file needs it in order to run.

TS

Roger
07-09-2010, 04:15 PM
This is what fixed my computer completely...Highly reccomended!

http://www.combofix.org/

Hope it helps
Roger,

DJofSD
07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Vinman,

If you are using Norton 360 for your PC security, you can check it's logs to see if it did isolate that DLL.

Open Norton and then from the menu select Tasks. This should present another form. Under the first column, General Task, find and click on Scurity History. Once the Security History form is seen, in the selection box labeled View, click on the arrow on the right side then select Quarantine. Browse through the list to see if the DLL was whacked by Norton. Another one to look at is Resolved Security Risks.

Vinman
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks again Guys.....

I did a search for that file and as expected, it wasn't there. I think Norton probably took it out. I'll take a look in the Norton archives to see if it's in there.

Great suggestions all.....Thanx again!

Vinman

Robert Goren
07-10-2010, 12:32 AM
While DLL files are real, a virus or Trojan can and often does call itself a DLL file. I have Norton and it generally does a good job, but it has missed some stuff lately. This has the smell of an AOL problem. If I were you I would start by talking to them.

Donnie
07-10-2010, 06:41 AM
The next time you get an error message on your screen, press and hold your ALT key on your keyboard along with your PrintScreen key. What this does is takes a snapshot of the entire error message box that is displayed. Open a word document program such as Word and press your CRTL and V keys at this same time. This will paste that message box into a word document. You can then send it to someone knowledgable about these things or attach the Word document here after saving it and a more thorough research can be done on it.

One thing you may want to try doing as well is boot your computer up in Safe Mode. As the computer is booting up, screen is still black and the Windows Logo has not yet appeared, press your F8 key. You should get a screen asking what mode you want to open in. Choose Safe Mode without Networking. This will keep the program (virus?) from accessing the Internet while you try to remove it, and your system will only load the necessary files and drivers to operate the machine effectively. Once the computer is up and running in safe mode, open your Norton and do a complete scan on the system. Do not do a quick scan...do a complete scan. See if that finds your problem. After running the complete program, reboot back into Normal mode. See if the problem has gone away. Sometimes that Blue Screen of Death can be nothing more than your RAM memory going dead on you. How old is this system?

Vinman
07-10-2010, 10:26 AM
While DLL files are real, a virus or Trojan can and often does call itself a DLL file. I have Norton and it generally does a good job, but it has missed some stuff lately. This has the smell of an AOL problem. If I were you I would start by talking to them.

Robert, Donnie.....Thanx

Robert I think you hit the nail on the head with AOL being the culprit, as I got a report back from MSN to that effect when I clicked yes to a "Do you want to report this problem? popup. I noticed recently that AOL has a 9.5 version while I've been running 9.0 on my 4 year old HP Pavilion. I think I'll install the 9.5 version and see if that does the trick.

Vinman

JustRalph
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
AOL is still around ????