PDA

View Full Version : Never Forget Where You Come From

sonnyp
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
i always respected this guy. straight forward, no bullshit. even though we came from the same place, i had never met him. always wanted to talk to him, to pick his brain....to try to understand what makes him tick. finally i got my chance.

his dad was a minor league baseball player with tommy lasorda in a factory town in upstate new york. i never could figure out how his dad could be the janitor/baseball coach at the catholic highschool i went to.

there were too many questions about him that there didn't seem to be answers for. now i got them.

his family was poor because his dad fought demons. he was a tough kid more of a "greaser" than the "gouchi" he is perceived to be today. he went to school on his dad's struggles in life and turned those hardships into positives as far as how he chose to handle his own trials and how to conduct himself.

as an executive, i believe his background is a tremendous asset when he sits down to talk to young athletes today, mores o than executives that have never walked in those tough shoes.

that is why i believe pat riley was able to pull this coup off in the n b a . these 3 kids, wade, james and bosh are not thugs or punks. they're quality kids and i think pat was able to speak to their nature to get them to take less for a greater goal.

pat will be the first to tell you that his success is a direct result of where he came from, and i hope this is the next chapter of success in that book

dav4463
07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
If the Heat don't go 82-0 and sweep the playoffs they will be a disappointment.

It's a joke. It's like a bunch of schoolyard kids all getting together to beat up the weaker kids.

Rooting for the Heat will be like rooting for the Globetrotters to beat the Generals (like they have a chance of losing!)

Will there be ego problems? Maybe not enough basketballs to go around? I hope so! GO SPURS GO !!! (we win championships the right way!)

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 12:11 AM
If the Heat don't go 82-0 and sweep the playoffs they will be a disappointment.

It's a joke. It's like a bunch of schoolyard kids all getting together to beat up the weaker kids.

Rooting for the Heat will be like rooting for the Globetrotters to beat the Generals (like they have a chance of losing!)

Will there be ego problems? Maybe not enough basketballs to go around? I hope so! GO SPURS GO !!! (we win championships the right way!)

i think you overrate them. without a true big man and any role players i believe they will be hardpressed to win the east this first year.

by the way, how do you win champioships "the right way " ?

eastie
07-09-2010, 12:24 AM
it oughta be fun watching them fight over who's gonna take more shots. 3 huns

Dahoss9698
07-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Riley is great. But I had to laugh at the thread title considering Lebron has apparently forgotten where he comes from.

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Riley is great. But I had to laugh at the thread title considering Lebron has apparently forgotten where he comes from.

i think he was really torn about leaving the place he calls home and of which he is very proud to live in and raise his family.

he stayed 7 years, didn't seem to offer the prospects of a championship so did what he thought would make himself a champion. he left 30 million in cleveland. don't know many young pros that would do that.

i really don't think these three will have a problem sharing. they are a cut above the average egomaniac in pro sports.

anybody got any thoughts of a return of shaq down there to handle orlandos big guy.

Dahoss9698
07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
i think he was really torn about leaving the place he calls home and of which he is very proud to live in and raise his family.

he stayed 7 years, didn't seem to offer the prospects of a championship so did what he thought would make himself a champion. he left 30 million in cleveland. don't know many young pros that would do that.

i really don't think these three will have a problem sharing. they are a cut above the average egomaniac in pro sports.

anybody got any thoughts of a return of shaq down there to handle orlandos big guy.

He left 30 million to make 20 something million. He's already made hundreds of millions. I think the entire episode tonight proved Lebron is the ultimate egomaniac in sports. No one loves Lebron more than Lebron.

I think he took the easy way out and turned his back on his home. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts when a last second play is called for Wade instead of Lebron.

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 02:04 AM
disagree. i think he can't wait to drive the lane and dish to somebody who can hit the shot as the opposition collapses on him.

what about shaq ? is deisel heading to miami for a year or two ?

JustRalph
07-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Lebron is no dummy

He goes to miami

1. Gets a better chance to win a ring

2. saves at least 10 million bucks in Taxes

3. His mom gets to start over with a whole new set of cops who don't know her

Check out what his old boss says about it..........nasty.....nasty

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38160678/ns/sports-nba/

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Lebron is no dummy

He goes to miami

1. Gets a better chance to win a ring

2. saves at least 10 million bucks in Taxes

3. His mom gets to start over with a whole new set of cops who don't know her

can she bring her man delonte west ?

what about shaq ? the heat just dumped beasley to the timberwolves for a second round draft pick. beasley must feel like peter best the drummer the beatles dumped for ringo just before they took off.

JustRalph
07-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Gotta love the Classy Cleveland Fans!

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 02:25 AM
what's a guy like byron scott say to the troops at the first day of practice ?

who do they have left ?

Dahoss9698
07-09-2010, 02:47 AM
disagree. i think he can't wait to drive the lane and dish to somebody who can hit the shot as the opposition collapses on him.

what about shaq ? is deisel heading to miami for a year or two ?

Why would they want Shaq?

Pace Cap'n
07-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Where did the $30 million come from? Thought the cap was around $20m.

OTM Al
07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Why would they want Shaq?

Got to fill the roster. They only have 7 guys right now. You can sign guys over the cap total if you sign them to minimum contracts, which usually means older players that want one last shot, which is exactly where Shaq is right now and he knows it. Wouldn't be the worst thing they could do if he's willing to go back there.

OTM Al
07-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Where did the $30 million come from? Thought the cap was around $20m.

This is the Larry Bird rule. You can resign one of your own for more money and an additional year than you can a free agent from elsewhere. And people were worried about collusive issues among a couple players....

Dahoss9698
07-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Got to fill the roster. They only have 7 guys right now. You can sign guys over the cap total if you sign them to minimum contracts, which usually means older players that want one last shot, which is exactly where Shaq is right now and he knows it. Wouldn't be the worst thing they could do if he's willing to go back there.

At 38 and slow I don't think he'd fit in with the this Heat team like he did when they won the championship.

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
At 38 and slow I don't think he'd fit in with the this Heat team like he did when they won the championship.

disagree again. he's a big body and huge low post presence. he doesn't need to score with these guys. all he has to do is lay all over dwight howerd, frustrate him and get get him out of his game. if you do that, the magic become mediocre and can be beaten just like this years playoffs. shaq can do this very well especially if he doesn't need to worry about scoring.

thaskalos
07-09-2010, 01:28 PM
He left 30 million to make 20 something million. He's already made hundreds of millions. I think the entire episode tonight proved Lebron is the ultimate egomaniac in sports. No one loves Lebron more than Lebron.

I think he took the easy way out and turned his back on his home. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts when a last second play is called for Wade instead of Lebron. Hour long press conferences should be reserved for superstar players with championship rings.

In my opinion...he is not "King" James.

He is Bernard King...

Dahoss9698
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
disagree again. he's a big body and huge low post presence. he doesn't need to score with these guys. all he has to do is lay all over dwight howerd, frustrate him and get get him out of his game. if you do that, the magic become mediocre and can be beaten just like this years playoffs. shaq can do this very well especially if he doesn't need to worry about scoring.

The last thing that team needs is a guy clogging up the middle.

sonnyp
07-09-2010, 03:28 PM
The last thing that team needs is a guy clogging up the middle.

i dont think you read the posts. this is what i said:

images/statusicon/user_online.gif images/buttons/green/quote.gif (newreply.php?do=newreply&p=930797)
offevsivly, he'll be no where near the paint. he wont be need there.

defensively, he'll be occupying the low post opponents like dwight howard. bosh doesn't want to defend big strong guys like howard .

get it ?

Dahoss9698
07-09-2010, 04:45 PM
i dont think you read the posts. this is what i said:

images/statusicon/user_online.gif images/buttons/green/quote.gif (http://newreply.php?do=newreply&p=930797)
offevsivly, he'll be no where near the paint. he wont be need there.

defensively, he'll be occupying the low post opponents like dwight howard. bosh doesn't want to defend big strong guys like howard .

get it ?

I'm trying to be nice, but if you want to be a dick I can be one too. First you buy the whole Lebron commercial last night. Gimme a break. Then you think Shaq, at 38 is going to frustrate Dwight Howard?

Shaq is a liability. On offense where is he going to be? Hanging out on the 3 point line? Hanging out at half court?

Robert Fischer
07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
WELCOME TO MIAMI, LeBron

competitive champion teams
coaching
star players/ huge efforts
these are a few of my favorite things ^^^ in that order.

Lakers vs Cavs NOUGH SAID :mad::jump:
LEBRONZ may have never had a good coach had he stayed in cleveland. As someone who loves coaching as much as me(I place it ahead of highlight plays)...
debatable - no JAMES VS WORLD herculean, run-the-gauntlet type steeze, but we do get 3 all-stars on a good team(no need to touch the remote control) and hopefully the star-studded finals.

SHAQ=
i agree with Dahoss about Shaquille O'Neal. :faint: world over, close thread.

While I'm as big a fan of Shaq and his career as you will find, I am no more forgiving with Shaq than any other aging player in mediocre condition. In his peak Top 5 ALL TIME, period for some 3 HUGE quarters a game. Now if used optimally-- he is cabable of "efficient" play for about a quarter.

The major issue here is he needs the ball to be walked up so he can establish his deep threat position and maintain his stamina at even the lowest levels. Shaq is also most effective when the offense goes through SHAQDADDY. Spokes-hub distribution "bae-bee".
"Hasta la vista, baby"
"No problemo?"

PROBLEMO.
These guys to keep running - slowing the tempo isn't their game. Given their choice, WADE, BRONZ, N' BOSH want to run the floor twice, and call a 10-second twittertime-out in the block of time needed for Shaq to be efficient.

If Kobe wouldn't do it then, SOBE ain't doin it now.

Space Monkey
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Lebron thinks so much of Cleveland and its fans that he wore Yankee gear to an Indian/Yankee playoff game at the Jake a few years ago. No surprise he bolted.

Shaq is done. He's got no game. He can't get up and down the court anymore. Could he ever? I hope Miami signs him.

I'm not ready to give the Heat anything. Lebron has shown to be a choke, and Bosh is unproven at the championship level. Wade is proven, but hes going through a messy divorce right now and he wouldn't be the first player to see his game go down the tubes under these conditions.

You need 7 or 8 solid players to win a championship. They've only got 3.

They won't, but I hope they miss the playoffs.

Hanover1
07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Shaq in Miami?? please.....rofl, ect.......run & gun wears big boy out, and its never been a secret. Time he gets back down court, its already halftime......................

bigmack
07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Lebron thinks so much of Cleveland and its fans that he wore Yankee gear to an Indian/Yankee playoff game at the Jake a few years ago. No surprise he bolted
That could be the most blatant slap-in-the-face gesture that I have ever heard of any athlete, at any time exhibiting against the city in which they played.

If I lived in Cleveland, I would have put him on my 'not-so-nice' list after that. What a turn coat. What a trader.

What a laugh. :lol: :lol:

JustRalph
07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
That could be the most blatant slap-in-the-face gesture that I have ever heard of any athlete, at any time exhibiting against the city in which they played.

If I lived in Cleveland, I would have put him on my 'not-so-nice' list after that. What a turn coat. What a trader.

What a laugh. :lol: :lol:

You ever been to Cleveland.......? They deserve everything they get and in this case "don't get"

SCXjXkbCF9Y

bigmack
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
You ever been to Cleveland.......? They deserve everything they get and in this case "don't get"
Is Allen Funt gonna pop-out any second? I was pimping SpaceMonk.

It's a gag.

ysmLA5TqbIY

Rookies
07-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Story circing today that the 3 PLAYERS colluded a few years back to ensure that their respective contracts were finito at exactly the same time to carry this scheme out.

Was there - especially with Pat Riley being the tipped maestro to unload ? Likely.

Wil Stern do anything ?:lol:

Furgettaboutit!

Robert Fischer
07-10-2010, 01:52 AM
crazy...

Trotman
07-10-2010, 08:16 AM
But will they blend? Somewhere earlier it was mentioned they don't have ego's, IMO they all do and it will be interesting how this plays out, again IMO Bosh after watching every home game of his pro career and a good portion of his away games could be the fly in the ointment.
The media placed a solid gold halo on this player all because of the love affair he and the fans had, but in reality he has a attitude that reflects what an immature,egotistical person he really is. IMO Lakers and Celtics are the class of the league, hard working night in night out.

castaway01
07-10-2010, 12:01 PM
A few years back the Lakers had in-his-prime Shaq, in-his-prime Kobe, and older Karl Malone and Gary Payton...everyone said they'd win the title easily...but they didn't.

Of course the Heat will be the favorites but until we see how these guys play together, you never know what will happen. There are also injuries to consider.

Shaq would be a terrible fit in Miami with the offense they plan to run. They need a perimeter shooter and I believe Mike Miller has signed or is about to, so he fills that role perfectly. They can only use the veteran's minimum the rest of the way to sign players, but I'm sure they'll find some guys who want a ring.

BTW, Shaq is likely headed to the Spurs, where he fits with their half-court sets and has a decent chance at another playoff run.

JustRalph
07-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Wade and Lebron played together in the Olympics didn't they?

I figure that is where this all started............

cj
07-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Wade and Lebron played together in the Olympics didn't they?

I figure that is where this all started............

Yes, Bosh too. There are rumors this started then, along with Chris Paul too. I don't see any way that can happen though.

JustRalph
07-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Interesting take on it

yP7HCKweZiY

Rookies
07-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, Bosh too. There are rumors this started then, along with Chris Paul too. I don't see any way that can happen though.

Why NOT ?

These guys aren't the most stupid, inarticulate, unfocussed players in Pro Sports. They were the respected team spokesmen for the media. I believe it was completely planned and done in a way that could avoid overt tampering an collusion- even though it was. With Riley in on the action, you had a knowledgeable, clever insider to complete the deal.

cj
07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Why NOT ?

These guys aren't the most stupid, inarticulate, unfocussed players in Pro Sports. They were the respected team spokesmen for the media. I believe it was completely planned and done in a way that could avoid overt tampering an collusion- even though it was. With Riley in on the action, you had a knowledgeable, clever insider to complete the deal.

I meant adding Paul can't happen, not the rest.