PDA

View Full Version : Belmont odds, changing after the race

Igeteven
07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Belmont odds, changing after the race, I played Belmont for the first few races and odds where changing after the race.

Does anyone know why

A horse leaves at 5-1 finishes at 8/5 for example.

NTamm1215
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Belmont odds, changing after the race, I played Belmont for the first few races and odds where changing after the race.

Does anyone know why

A horse leaves at 5-1 finishes at 8/5 for example.

If you're referring to the 3rd it was because the 2/5 favorite was a gate scratch.

NT

Bullet Plane
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Reasons for odds change after the bell (didn't watch Belmont today- so I can address this only in general),

1) Antiquated tote system

2) Betting taking place during or after the race; called past posting

Another one of those "nasty" little problems with horseracing.

Dave Schwartz
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
When you say, "After the race," I assume you mean ".. has started" as opposed to "... has finished."

The primary reason for that is not past posting but simply the last minute or so of action before the gate opens. This has been discussed before, although I do not recall the thread. Perhaps someone else does.

Just consider what happens if you are standing in line and make your bet just before the bell. When does YOUR money go into the pool? Late, right?

Now imagine that you are at a simulcast facility. It takes longer to get there, right? (It does.)

Now imagine that you are wagering over the internet with an ADW. It takes still longer.

Each step away from the actual tote taker adds time. At each level the the bets are aggregated (i.e. combined) and totals (rather than individual tickets) are sent. That aggregation process adds time.

So, it goes from the bet taker at the OTB, to the hub, to Autotote (or whatever they are calling themselves these days), and finally to the track.

the little guy
07-05-2010, 10:13 PM
If you're referring to the 3rd it was because the 2/5 favorite was a gate scratch.

NT

Don't ruin things with the truth.

thespaah
07-05-2010, 10:44 PM
This has been discussed ad nauseum.
It's simply late money from off track sources.
Many large off track bettors like to make their selections very late so as to "hide" them from the public.
In a previous thread regarding this matter many suggestions were made as to possible changes. There were also plenty of conspiracy theories.

I can remember when NY closed wagering when the first horse was loaded or thereabouts.