PDA

View Full Version : The Ship Of Fools

Grits
07-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Guys, first, let me say--this ain't about me. Let's get that one out of the way. Instead, its about a good size segment of the population. Many of whom benefit from your tax dollars--some of you may not mind it, some of you may abhor it. Too, its not my desire to change anyone's thinking, to make anyone care or not care. I learned long ago when one committs oneself to such, particularly online--one is in for a whole lotta discomfort and anxiety. Too, this isn't emotional, in that I learned these things--long ago.

Anyway, what exists is a great lack of knowledge and misinformation. So for that reason, I hope you guys don't mind if I post this link at Wikepedia at the end of my comments.

The subject of the mentally challenged, those developmentally disabled, those with special needs, the retarded, the tards, retards, idiots, imbeciles, mongoloids, and even, the least known, the Ship Of Fools each of whom wound up traveling from harbor to harbor, unwanted by all comes up often enough that it might be good to post a link. Some may read; same may not. There's an old saying, "if it doesn't touch YOU; it doesn't light up YOUR board." And there is tremendous truth to this, as it is understandable.

This is a history--though brief--till a timeline. And its tough, but then too, I've known of all of this for many years now, and have books that go into great detail about the history of the treatment of those with disabilities. One look at old census records and one can see the family imbecile located among the property. Often in the 1800s, this family member was chained to the inside of a cabin. Away from the main house, in the attic of the house, or . . . in other words, way out of sight. They'd be given a bucket of water, and a tin cup from which to drink water, and someone would bring them their meals. Though, they usually didn't have utensils. They were left to eat with their hands. They had a pallet for a bed, and their clothes didn't get washed everyday. I don't know what the used for toilet paper.

These were the early times, then in the 1900s, along came Eugenics. WOW. Lord, if that one wasn't an eye opener. I'd never heard of Eugenics until I was in the Keeneland Library, of all places, and sat one afternoon in 2001 and read the entire book. The copy belonged to a Kentucky gentleman who gave it, along with other books in a collection he owned, to the library upon his death. Man, that one was killer, I thought I had stepped back to the days of Hitler.

Much change as taken place, but it sure has taken a long, long time. And for that I'm grateful. As are all families who have a child or family member who is mentally handicapped (or with special needs.)

Its never my intent to be ugly, to be cross. I'm always reminded, though, as I told Boxcar this morning, I never lose sight of the least among the least. Or how fragile some of them are, or how vulnerable. Too, of what those that have come before my son have endured.

The desire, and the need to speak for them will never leave me. This includes, the 1 in 11 babies now being born each year in the U.S. and DIAGNOSED with autism, who are going to require specialized--one on one care and education in a nation that is in NO WAY prepared for this demand. No way prepared to implement programs for an education to a child who lives completely in his own world. Autistic children, though broad spectrum, many are extremely mentally handicapped and will not be able to function independently in society. Many will always need a sheltered environment. Something so many parents and elementary special education teachers are trying to cope with each day now. One of the most extremely difficult of all disabilities. The one on one tax dollars ARE NOT THERE. NOR ARE THE TEACHERS.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation

No need for replies, if you will, just read a bit maybe. Its not my desire to talk and debate, just help anyone that may care to understand a bit, a population you may not be as familiar with as myself and some others. No emotions, only facts.

Thanks, guys.

grits

schweitz
07-05-2010, 05:14 PM
T[/b]his includes, the 1 in 11 babies now being born each year in the U.S. and DIAGNOSED with autism,

While I sympathize with you and share your concerns, the above stat just jumped out as being wrong. The real percentage is about 1/2 of 1% according to The National Institute of Neurological Disorders. I would be very careful about trusting anything on wikepedia.

www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm

Grits
07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
T[/b]his includes, the 1 in 11 babies now being born each year in the U.S. and DIAGNOSED with autism,

While I sympathize with you and share your concerns, the above stat just jumped out as being wrong. The real percentage is about 1/2 of 1% according to The National Institute of Neurological Disorders. I would be very careful about trusting anything on wikepedia.

www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm)

The stat I quoted was from a network news report of several months ago, not from Wikepedia. The magnitude of the resources problem in elementary grades as far as teachers/needs is one that has been shared with me. The link I posted to Wikepedia served only as a quick reference for background. Though in regard to disabilities, past centuries, and the treatment of the mentally handicapped, the points stated there are concurrent with other books I have read in the last three decades.

I'm sorry for the misquote. Thank you for posting to correct my error.:ThmbUp: