PDA

View Full Version : 6-2 = 4

Tom
07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Belmont 3rd, 6 horse go to the gate.
2-5 fav scratches at gate, then there were 5.
They're off. One pulls up. Then there were 4.

Good thing it wasn't a mile race!

OTM Al
07-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Not the greatest card here or much of anywhere I could find today. Of course I wouldn't want to run around on a day like today with a little man on my back either! Well, won't tap out today as I sure ain't playing many.

David-LV
07-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Good thing it wasn't a mile race!

Funny.

_______
David-LV

OTM Al
07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Well at least it wasn't a $100,000 stakes race....

thaskalos
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Something needs to be done about the late scratches...this is getting ridiculous.

Sunny day, fast track...and we have 3 late scratches reducing a field of 8 down to 5.

If a horse is entered, it should run...barring a valid excuse from the track vet.

If there is some other valid excuse to scratch the horse, it should not occur the day of the race.

Let's have a little consideration for the horseplayer too...

JustRalph
07-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Something needs to be done about the late scratches...this is getting ridiculous.

Sunny day, fast track...and we have 3 late scratches reducing a field of 8 down to 5.

If a horse is entered, it should run...barring a valid excuse from the track vet.

If there is some other valid excuse to scratch the horse, it should not occur the day of the race.

Right, we jump up and down and moan and scream when a horse breaks down but we also scream and yell when a late scratch or a trainer thinks the horse is "not right" or can't run........

you can't have it both ways. The health of the horse should be paramount. And I know some trainers are goofy and flaky.......but I would give them the benefit of the doubt .........always.........there are too many tracks and not enough horses..........the health of the horse has to be paramount.

Hedevar
07-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Right, we jump up and down and moan and scream when a horse breaks down but we also scream and yell when a late scratch or a trainer thinks the horse is "not right" or can't run........

you can't have it both ways. The health of the horse should be paramount. And I know some trainers are goofy and flaky.......but I would give them the benefit of the doubt .........always.........there are too many tracks and not enough horses..........the health of the horse has to be paramount.

Absolutely

thaskalos
07-05-2010, 05:11 PM

you can't have it both ways. The health of the horse should be paramount. And I know some trainers are goofy and flaky.......but I would give them the benefit of the doubt .........always.........there are too many tracks and not enough horses..........the health of the horse has to be paramount. I follow the game close enough to know if the scratches are as a result of an ailment, or a trainer abusing the game's late-scratch privileges.

In any case...thanks for the morality lesson.

The_Knight_Sky
07-05-2010, 09:35 PM

It's been this way forever.
I remember a race a few years back,
when the 1 / 1a were listed as scratches on the monitor.

Yet when the gates opened one of the entry mates was running
for purse money only and shot to the lead, messing with the pace scenario
and the ultimate results.

I think the record-keepers may remember the precise date of that race.

Stillriledup
07-05-2010, 09:57 PM

Consideration for the horseplayer? :lol:

njcurveball
07-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Simple solution is a 10 day wait for any horse who makes it into the body of the field and then scratches for any reason other then the original premise of the race is changed (i.e. Distance, surface, track condition, etc.)

All tracks need to abide by the same rules for this to work.

JustRalph
07-05-2010, 10:18 PM
It's been this way forever.
I remember a race a few years back,
when the 1 / 1a were listed as scratches on the monitor.

Yet when the gates opened one of the entry mates was running
for purse money only and shot to the lead, messing with the pace scenario
and the ultimate results.

I think the record-keepers may remember the precise date of that race.

Did you miss this thread.........

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68739

thespaah
07-05-2010, 10:30 PM

I have always maintained that it is too easy to scratch a horse.
On the harness side, they do it right.
If a trainer or owner wants to scratch, they MUST have a valid reason.
It's a vet scratch or a judges scratch.
On the Thoroughbred side, it seems that if the trainer or whomever has a beef wiright ,they scratch. If they dpon;t like the post position their horse has drawn, they scratch. If it rains within 24 hours of the race in which they are entered, they scratch. If thre turf isn't a certin texture, they scratch.
Ya know what I think....Ef you. If you enter your horse and it isn't lame or you are Main Track Only in a turf race, you start your horse and that's that.

therussmeister
07-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I heard it was a little hot there. Accuweather reported a "real feel" of 105 degrees at 3 PM.

thespaah
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
"A little hot"????
For us gluttons for punishment down here in the mid south, a 97 degree day is " a little hot".....For those in the northern climes, it's an unbearable sizzler.
BTW I am from NJ.....I HATE hot weather. Only my career and a resistence to paying confiscatory property taxes keeps me from moving back home.

slewis
07-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm gonna really open a can of worms here and tell everyone that I personally watched Macho Joe walk back to the barn after being scratched by KD at the gate and there was nothing wrong with that horse.

There were several assistant trainers there as well and the consensus was the same.

I also know of at least one claim dropped for the horse...(which of course never consummates since the horse scratches).

I'm curious to see when the horse is re-entered what condition Mott runs him.

cj
07-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm gonna really open a can of worms here and tell everyone that I personally watched Macho Joe walk back to the barn after being scratched by KD at the gate and there was nothing wrong with that horse.

There were several assistant trainers there as well and the consensus was the same.

I also know of at least one claim dropped for the horse...(which of course never consummates since the horse scratches).

I'm curious to see when the horse is re-entered what condition Mott runs him.

Stuff like this happens all the time, but I'm sure you know that already. You ever seen the parade of gate scratches at CT? They aren't ALL lame.

bigmack
07-05-2010, 11:42 PM
As it was a vet scratch what do you suspect he saw that ya'll didn't?

johnhannibalsmith
07-06-2010, 12:46 AM
As it was a vet scratch what do you suspect he saw that ya'll didn't?

Unless I'm misinterpreting the innuendo... it sounds like they were trying to steal and Kent "didn't like the way he was warming up" once someone saw a slip go in the box. Vet probably knows that even if he's fine and on the unlikely chance that he sends the horse back for a new rider, the connections will refuse any rider that offers to pick him up, so he just plays his role in the charade and scratches the horse.

Few things aggravate me more than protection claims and scratches by virtue of claim slip. Grow a set - if you want to enter aggressively, don't be a puke when you get called.

KingChas
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Don't like to redboard,but have to tell you I hit the $2.00 triple this race!
Didn't have the $2.00 Super though! :D