PDA

View Full Version : Soooo do you play the full card or go for a few select races?

letswastemoney
07-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I only play a few select races every weekend, especially if they are major stakes races, and only if I have a decent opinion on them. I very rarely try to play more than a couple of races though. Part of the reason is that I have zero confidence in lower level claiming races, heck in all non-maiden claiming races, so I don't even bother with them unless it's part of a pick 3 that I'm spreading on.

How many races do you play? Or do you try to play every race on the card at your favorite tracks?

speed
07-05-2010, 01:00 AM
I start by boxing 1257 in exacta, tri and supers at each track. This way i guarantee that i wont miss a thing. Then i begin handicapping Belmont, Monmouth, Arlinton, Calder, Woodbine, Delaware, Phillly, Suffolk, Churchill and if i am in a gambling mood Hollywood Park.

After this it's usually around 11AM which means it is time to call Jonnielu. He then proceeds to tell me bet the high number unless the low number looks good, but if there is a par runner i must consider him. Then i phone GM10 and we discuss any Goldolphin entries for that day.

Since losing my internet service i have no access to Trips and Traps, soooooo my next call is TLG. Believe it or not every morning he asks if i called Johnnie or GM10, i say yes and he hangs up.

Well i better finish what Woodford Reserve is left. Last week i forgot to finish what was in the bottle. I woke up still drunk, and grabbed the wrong bottle for my sons Wheaties. He got a true breakfast of champions that morning.

Fastracehorse
07-05-2010, 01:32 AM
I only play a few select races every weekend, especially if they are major stakes races, and only if I have a decent opinion on them. I very rarely try to play more than a couple of races though. Part of the reason is that I have zero confidence in lower level claiming races, heck in all non-maiden claiming races, so I don't even bother with them unless it's part of a pick 3 that I'm spreading on.

How many races do you play? Or do you try to play every race on the card at your favorite tracks?

First off; today my strategy was to only play 3 am tracks: Wdb, Bel, CD. My goal is to find a longshot single. If I'm doing well by the time the PM tracks start I'll play them.

My MO is to play as many exotics as possible - with integrity - while still maintaining my bankroll. If U are mentally sharp ( which can't always be the case ) and the cards offer some value; the aforementioned is possible.

fffastt

Overlay
07-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I don't disregard any race types out of hand without at least looking at the entrants, in order to give probabilities a greater chance of asserting themselves. My preliminary handicapping may lead to exclusion of some races altogether, because of too many unknowns with respect to making an odds line. Other races may get tossed after the odds line is developed, based on the low quality of the field as a whole. Then, individual horses may be weeded out within playable races due either to having no positive aspects in their records, or not offering sufficient value.

Tampa Russ
07-05-2010, 08:59 AM
An average, I play 5-6 tracks and get about 3 plays per track. I rarely end up playing a stakes race. I never play turf or maidens, and rarely bottom level claimers. I play win only.

I stopped playing turf and maidens 7 years ago, when my records indicated they were what was keeping me from being in the black. It's just what works best for my style.

46zilzal
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I review 6 to 7 a day and cherry pick

Robert Goren
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
The answer to that question depends on why you bet races? If you are out to make a lot of money, then you cherry pick. If you use it as a form of entertainment, then you bet most of the races at the track you are following. I used to cherry pick, but now days I am just trying to escape reruns of NCIS. The idea of pouring over lots of races to find a few bets doesn't appeal to me anymore. IF that is your thing, more power to you and good luck.

lamboguy
07-05-2010, 10:31 AM
the old saying's go, you can beat a race, you can't beat the races. and its impossible to time the markets.

personally i have proved both statements to be wrong. but i go thru plenty of stretches where they look right!

i bet horses 14 hours a day 365 days a year. i have been doing that for the last 20 years. i am not broke, i don't owe anyone a quarter, and i started life out with a pad of paper and a pencil.

on the other side of the coin, i have no life, with very few friends and constantly yell at people all day long and i am a very miserable person at heart.

illinoisbred
07-05-2010, 10:38 AM
the old saying's go, you can beat a race, you can't beat the races. and its impossible to time the markets.

personally i have proved both statements to be wrong. but i go thru plenty of stretches where they look right!

i bet horses 14 hours a day 365 days a year. i have been doing that for the last 20 years. i am not broke, i don't owe anyone a quarter, and i started life out with a pad of paper and a pencil.

on the other side of the coin, i have no life, with very few friends and constantly yell at people all day long and i am a very miserable person at heart.
Servants or jockeys on horseback on you monitor? Have you tried exercising or just taking a walk? You'll see some fresh faces-should help solve the misery.

MONEY
07-05-2010, 10:44 AM
As of this moment, I have 21 races to bet at 10 tracks. This number will go down because of scratches. I will make win bets 1st. Without the win bets I will be broke. Then I will lightly bet exactas & trifectas in most of the races. I also have a couple of DDs to play. I love DDs.

money

Fingal
07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Depends. If I'm betting P3 or P4 tickets, then I have to make picks for each race in that sequence. Does that mean I'd make them all straight win bets ? No. Maybe there's only one or two in that sequence that I'd be willing to make a win bet on after considering appearance & odds.

As Bing Crosby sang- " There's a winner in every race............"
Maybe, but I know I'd be a fool to try to bet & single in every race on the card.

lamboguy
07-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Servants or jockeys on horseback on you monitor? Have you tried exercising or just taking a walk? You'll see some fresh faces-should help solve the misery.i run about 5 miles a day, and do circuits and strength training twice a week. i go out for a run everyday after i am done betting in the dark. thank you for your advice

garyscpa
07-05-2010, 02:18 PM
First off; today my strategy was to only play 3 am tracks: Wdb, Bel, CD. My goal is to find a longshot single. If I'm doing well by the time the PM tracks start I'll play them.

My MO is to play as many exotics as possible - with integrity - while still maintaining my bankroll. If U are mentally sharp ( which can't always be the case ) and the cards offer some value; the aforementioned is possible.

fffastt

How did you come out at CD and Wdb?

Fastracehorse
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
How did you come out at CD and Wdb?

CD was kind today. I often do well in the grass races down there and picked a 67-1 3rd in a tri in a dirt Mdn race.

Wdb was good too but frustrating in the sense that my single won but I did not have the Plate winner and was subsequently 3 out of 4 in the late p-4.
I still had a shot for 3/4 which surprised me in the last leg with a 30-1 shot.

Bel not much.

I cut it down to 3 AM tracks cause I need to see the parade - that strategy helped today.

Then I played 4 PM tracks and ground it out.

fffastt

Hedevar
07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
The answer to that question depends on why you bet races? If you are out to make a lot of money, then you cherry pick. If you use it as a form of entertainment, then you bet most of the races at the track you are following. I used to cherry pick, but now days I am just trying to escape reruns of NCIS. The idea of pouring over lots of races to find a few bets doesn't appeal to me anymore. IF that is your thing, more power to you and good luck.

I enjoy NCIS.

SchagFactorToWin
07-05-2010, 05:39 PM

I have GOTTA have a drink with this guy someday!

As for the OP, I handicap one track and average 1.8 picks per day. 25% of those I don't bet because of the odds.

fmolf
07-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I have GOTTA have a drink with this guy someday!

As for the OP, I handicap one track and average 1.8 picks per day. 25% of those I don't bet because of the odds.
I bet right now for the sheer entertainment of it going to the track about once a week(nyra circuit)...I will handicap every race and make maybe two to four serious win bets and then possible an overlaid exacta in the same race.If i do not get the odds i like i might place a small watch bet on my selection or a small exacta bet on a few combos never wagering any serious money except on my prime bets where the odds need to be above my assigned odds line for the horse.when i was at the track three or four days a week i did not make very many watch bets averaging perhaps two to three prime win bets a day.

Red God
07-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I look for all the turf races that will be run at a mile or over, no matter what the class. However, I pass on most F&M races unless there is an imported stakes runner in a non-claiming race. I avoid all sprints - I just cannot seem to get a good grip on those.