PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Ads

Pell Mell
07-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know about you but I'm starting to get fed up with the floating ads on some websites. I was trying to read the sports page of the NY Daily News and there was a Sprint ad that blocked my view no matter what I did. It is all over the place and it is a real pain in the ass.

It reminds me of TV when the commercials come on real loud. These people seem to think that the more they are in your face that you'll pay attention to the ads. Well, they are right, I paid attention to the point that I almost never watch TV except PBS. I have better things to do with my time than to watch that stupid shit.

I am about to do the same with computers. As soon as I go to a site with a floating ad that jumps in front of me then I'm gone from that site.

I understand all about revenue but the web pages are shrinking to the point they are more ads than content.

And yes, I do have pop-up blockers. :mad:

BillW
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Try an Ad blocker ... they work.

GameTheory
07-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Use FireFox with AdBlock Plus extension -- you will see no ads anywhere (you can exempt certain sites if you like). It might be available for IE now, not sure.

JustRalph
07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Just a tip.......

If you are using an extension that "zooms in" or you are manually zooming on pages using "ctrl-scroll on your mouse" the ads are sometimes "locked" in a larger mode and centered due to the java script or other flash animation used to present them. They aren't intended to be so obtrusive but the zoom effect screws them up.

You may even find that you cannot close them unless you "un-zoom" or return to the normal focus.........same with some youtube vids and other vids. If you have a video that won't start.......un-zoom de-magnify and it may start and you can then zoom back in after it starts.

You can lean to do this real fast using "ctrl-mouse scroll wheel"

just a tip

kenwoodall2
07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Yep, they are buggers! My computer is set on blocking most. I think maybr popups advertising the same site you are on is stupid. I do not mind clicking them off though.

bigmack
07-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't recall seeing the Flo/Progressive banner here. Now it's all over PA. Damn me for starting that thread. :bang: