PDA

View Full Version : No shoes ?

Marshall Bennett
07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Belmont feed says the 8 horse in race 7 is running with no shoes . Is that right ?
Really didn't know horses ran without shoes .

PhantomOnTour
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Whoa, I was just checking the scratches at NYRA and noticed that myself. Has this horse run without them in the past? Maybe another notation or symbol to add to the pps....the horses' name isn't Zola Budd is it?

Robert Goren
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Whoa, I was just checking the scratches at NYRA and noticed that myself. Has this horse run without them in the past? Maybe another notation or symbol to add to the pps....the horses' name isn't Zola Budd is it? You are dating yourself.

Overlay
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
You are dating yourself.

When I was still single, I resorted to that a couple times. Didn't work out, though. :D

macguy
07-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I've seen a number of horses run on synthetics without shoes, and occasionally you'll see them run on the turf too.

Generally, there are a small number of trainers that don't seem to believe in shoes in certain circumstances.

Igeteven
07-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I've seen a number of horses run on synthetics without shoes, and occasionally you'll see them run on the turf too.

Generally, there are a small number of trainers that don't seem to believe in shoes in certain circumstances.

if one readies the report, that's why a lot of horse half split hoofs

kenwoodall2
07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
if one readies the report, that's why a lot of horse half split hoofs
There is good info on + and - for bareshod online.

nijinski
07-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Trying to remember the standardbred who won sans shoes in a major
race in France.
It sounds like a good mud angle.

Peter Berry
07-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Trying to remember the standardbred who won sans shoes in a major
race in France.
It sounds like a good mud angle.

Une de Mai?

joanied
07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
If a horse's feet are healthy and properly trimmed, if he has a healthy frog & sole, as long as the track surface isn't hard... it won't hurt to run without shoes.

Hanover1
07-04-2010, 08:04 PM
I pull them most every time track is heavy, and have been in the money more often than not on off tracks.....

joanied
07-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I pull them most every time track is heavy, and have been in the money more often than not on off tracks.....

Good idea! Horses get better traction barefoot...and IMO, if more trainers would pull shoes more often...the feet would be a lot healthier.

nijinski
07-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Une de Mai?
The one I had in mind was in the last few years.

ManeMediaMogul
07-05-2010, 07:21 AM
God made horses without shoes. Ideally, horses would never have to use them. It is the hard ground walking to and from the track that requires the shoes, not the racetracks.

Hanover1
07-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Repeated removal and application is the problem...Real rough on the walls, and it usually takes 6-8 weeks (or more at times) to get a hoof back right again after a distance dash in slop. Had a mare that could/would only win under theses circumstances. Had to be a weatherman and a farrier of sorts with her. Only got a few productive starts a year with her as a result, but each was worth the wait.

johnhannibalsmith
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Maybe another notation or symbol to add to the pps....

Equibase actually does use a letter notation for no shoes, no front shoes, no hind shoes... but I'm not sure that it gets reported in formats (ie DRF) that have limited space for meds and equipment. The only reason I know is that someone bought a horse that last ran at Golden Gate and on the PP's produced by InCompass RTO, which I believe are EQU based, it showed the letter "l" or "k" or something obscure - so I asked the EQU guys what it was and they whipped out the full chart of letter designations. There are quite a few that you don't see often, if ever.