PDA

View Full Version : Perfect July 4th movie

WinterTriangle
07-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Saw the topic about travel trailers, then tonight on TCM was "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

Perfect 1950s movie, a newlywed couple buys a 40 ft. TT, and of course, no SUV to tow it but a '53 Mercury Monterey CONVERTIBLE! (125 HP flathead V8). :)

Hilarious. TT gets stuck in mud at a tilt, and they have to spend the night. Lucy keeps "sliding" out of bed (twin beds, of course), then slides right out the door and splat into 2 ft. of mud.

Nail-biting scenes of travelling up 8,000 ft. elevation mountain roads with hairpin turns, with too much weight. Because of course, Lucy had collected some rocks (boulders) that Desi told her they had to jetison (which she didn't of course, but hides in closets) after a disturbing conversation with a mechanic about electric brakes. Which all break loose during the dangerous ascent.

They visit a relative and the brother says: "Just back it into the driveway" and the look on Desi's face is pricelss, his eyes are bugging out, and the ensuing project hysterical.

And of course, Desi sings while driving.:D

What a great slice of 50's Americana, the emergence of newfangled technologies after WWII, can't believe I never saw this one before.

Tom
07-04-2010, 09:18 AM
That is good timing, we were just talking about that movie in Mac's thread about Winnebagos.

WinterTriangle
07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
That's funny. :D Cause I was gonna post it there. I'll go look.