PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Friday

MV McKee
08-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I'm not certain how many people on here watch race replays from Del Mar. But, to those that do, I noticed something from Friday's races, and wanted to know if anyone had the same opinion.
When I pulled the charts in, I noticed that nearly all of the main track races had miserable final fractions, and yet no one really closed any appreciable ground in races that normally would have been custom made for an off the pace type.
When I watched the replays tonight, I really got the impression that nearly eveyone was really struggling with the track. The winners of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th races all looked completely spent down the stretch, the only saving grace being that every horse in these races seemed to be going up and down, and "travelling ugly". I felt the 1st and 2nd place horses in the 6th and the winner in the 8th looked to be striding out well near the wire. But aside from that, all the other horses looked to be rather uncomfortable in the lane. The place horse in the 8th was really choppy.
I realize that it was kind of a cheap card today, so that may be a factor, both in the miserable late fractions and the visual impressions I got.
These are purely subjective judgements, but I was just curious if anyone else who does this type of race watching had any opinions or insights.

Thanks,

Michael

MV McKee
08-09-2003, 03:41 AM
Please Ignore the first posting...incomplete
______________________________________________--_____

I'm not certain how many people on here watch race replays from Del Mar. But, to those that do, I noticed something from Friday's races, and wanted to know if anyone had the same opinion.
When I pulled the charts in, I noticed that nearly all of the main track races had miserable final fractions, and yet no one really closed any appreciable ground in races that normally would have been custom made for an off the pace type.
When I watched the replays tonight, I really got the impression that nearly eveyone was really struggling with the track. The winners of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th races all looked completely spent down the stretch, the only saving grace being that every horse in these races seemed to be going up and down, and "travelling ugly". I felt the 1st and 2nd place horses in the 6th and the winner in the 8th looked to be striding out well near the wire. But aside from that, all the other horses looked to be rather uncomfortable in the lane. The place horse in the 8th was really choppy.
I realize that it was kind of a cheap card today, so that may be a factor, both in the miserable late fractions and the visual impressions I got.
Aside from todays races though, I am starting to get the impression that there is something a bit unusual happening at DelMar. Usually, when a track is biased towards front runners, it is because the surface is quite glib, and the frontrunners simply never tire. They draw-off or at least hold-sway while running around 25 second final quarters, 12 and change final 1/8ths. This year though I am seeing a whole lot of front running winners draw off from the field while running 26+ final 1/4s and 13.6 final 1/8ths. Even in higher class races it has been happening. In the San Diego Handicap, the winner plodded the final 1/16th in 6.91. You just about have to get picked off when that happens, but the runner-up and 3rd place horses were not exactly gobbling up the ground late. My gut instincts are telling me that (if this makes any sense), even the closers are too tired to close.
These are purely subjective judgements, but I was just curious if anyone else who does this type of race watching had any opinions or insights.

Thanks,

Michael

delayjf
08-09-2003, 12:33 PM
While I have not been scrutinizing the fractional times at Del Mar, Just observing the running of the races I have observed something that are simular to what you are describing.

It seems to me that most horses are having a hard time picking up any ground in the stretch and for the most part the race is over once they turn for home. I've noticed many horses who seem to be all out on the backstretch battling into fast fractions, but don't seem to tire in the stretch. Also, I've noticed many horses make what appear to be winning moves on the turn only to hit a wall once they get into the homestretch. Perhaps this "homestretch bias" is the reason for that 35-1 longshot was able to wire the field winning that stakes race earlier this week.

Is it possible that the backstretch and the homestretch are not uniform.

Perhaps So Cal Fan knows something, she's at the track each day.

so.cal.fan
08-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Sorry, So. Cal. Fan is in Sierra Madre everyday this year.
I may get down a few days.
I see the same thing you guys do, on TV at Santa Anita.
I'll ask a few of the daily paddock rail guys, and get back to you, they will know.

kenwoodall
08-10-2003, 03:01 AM
Track speed was as fast as it gets, crew made the stretch deep. They probably rolled the rest of the track. That was why no closers.

Dan Montilion
08-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Mike

It is probably the tides.

Dan Montilion

delayjf
08-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Kenwoodall,

That would explain what were seeing on the track, but why would they do that? whats wrong with a fair track, or is the track were seeing an over-reaction. I can see rolling a track, fine, but why only roll one section.

How were you able to pick up on this?

Amazin
08-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Dan

Do you really believe in the tide theory?Used to have a guy over here at GGF called the postman.He swore by the theory.Would first check the newpapers for hi and lo tide to determine what kind of track it would be so he could start his daily doubles.Can't tell to this date if he was a just a smart capper or the tide theory really worked cause he was good enough to be audited by the IRS several times for his winnings.

Tom
08-10-2003, 01:29 PM
If the tide really does affect the track, is an in-tide bias or out-tide bias? :rolleyes:

Dan Montilion
08-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Amazin

No I don't. My smart alec post was a horrible attempt at an inside joke between McKee and myself.

Dan Montilion

delayjf
08-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Went to Del Mar Sun. Pretty much the same story almost nobody was able to make a move in the stretch, even into slow final fractions ie 1st race 26.06, 2nd race 25.78, route race 27.00, 9th race 25.33. I say most horses held their position once they reached the stretch. A couple of exceptions:

Wire Transfer in the first was the only horse moving in the stretch.

Coconut Girl made up 2 1/2 lengths into a final quarter of 24.10

Aussie Girl came from way off the pace at a mile into a slow final of 1/4 of 27.00.

Friendly Michele made a nice move into an 18.91 final 3/16ths

Talked to a friend of mine who is a trainer and works his own horses. He feels the track is fact but uniform and that if they did speed up or slow down a portion of the track that the horsemen would not put up with it.

freeneasy
08-11-2003, 04:29 PM
you couldnt put up with some kind of crap like that, oh, well we just thought we'd speed up the track a little here and slow it down a little there. if the track was way off at certain portions then i can see them either speeding it up a little here and/or slowing it down a little there to get it all out to an even balance but to speed it up early and then slow it down late just for that purpose alone would make for some real problems with the other horsemen as well as the fans.