PDA

View Full Version : Graveyard of favorites???

Valuist
08-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Is THAT a misnomer, or what?? Something like 47% winning chalks and today won't help that. 8 races, 7 favorites have won and the only favorite to get beat was by a head. Maybe they should name it the Graveyard of Price shots.

Observer
08-08-2003, 08:26 PM
"Graveyard of Favorites" came along because of some of the big names that have gone down to defeat at Saratoga .. like Secretariat.

But I know what you mean about this meet .. but didn't last year go something like this, too? Maybe not to this extreme. Heck, maybe the players are just getting that good!
;)

Bubbles
08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
"Graveyard of Champions" is more like it. Think about it. Man o'War. Secretariat. Empire Maker. Need a longer list?

jk3521
08-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Saratoga hasn't been a long-shot producing track for a while now. I can't wait for racing to go back to Belmont.

PaceAdvantage
08-09-2003, 02:19 AM
Empire Maker is a champion already?? ;)

Tuffmug
08-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Empire Maker will be awesome in his next race now that Frankel realizes Empire Maker doesn't like the whip. Watch the replays of all his races and you will see what happens every time he's touched with the whip! He SLOWS DOWN!
I believe he lost the Derby because of the whip and almost lost the Belmont to Ten Most Wanted until Bailey started to hand ride him to the wire. Note the surge in the Dwyer round the turn, the slow down in the stretch when Bailey hit him, and the surge to the wire when Bailey stopped whipping and started hand riding!

Empire Maker like his dam. She hated the whip also.

Bubbles
08-09-2003, 08:32 PM
GRAVEYARD UPDATE: Guess how many people hit the Pick Six today?

Zero.

How many picked 5?

Zero.

No value, huh?:D

Observer
08-09-2003, 08:35 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Tuff day at Toga today, for sure! Pick Six Carryover of over $100,000 for the Sunday card .. looking forward to seeking Shake You Down in the Vanderbilt .. since Lake claimed him, he is unbeaten in five starts, and is a multiple graded stakes winner.

Bubbles
08-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Observer
Pick Six Carryover of over $100,000 for the Sunday card .. looking forward to seeking Shake You Down in the Vanderbilt .. since Lake claimed him, he is unbeaten in five starts, and is a multiple graded stakes winner.

Not to mention that little 121 he put up at Calder last out. Could have been a 125 easy, but Luzzi didn't use the whip a heckuva lot. Remind anyone else of Orientate?

Valuist
08-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Plenty of value in the Sword Dancer today. I said on the other thread that Whitmore's Conn might be the overlay of the year. Its about time. 45% winning favorites is unheard of. I remember Arlington being over 40% during the tent year (1987) and that was NOT a fun meet. Hopefully Pletcher will go cold or have a few post race positives to shake things up.

Observer
08-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Hopefully Pletcher will go cold or have a few post race positives to shake things up.

Are you kidding .. despite the amazing success Pletcher is having at the meet .. believe it or not .. you can still get some good prices on his horses, sometimes.

Aug. 3:
Race 8 - Dancal, $21.40
Race 9 - Strong Hope, $15.40

Aug. 9:
Race 8 - Newfoundland, $18.00 (put up on dq)

Regarding the "post race positives" comments, I wouldn't count on it with Pletcher .. his barn is just in a zone .. just because a barn starts clicking, it doesn't mean there's something sinister behind it .. sometimes things just go extremely right .. just like in handicapping .. sometimes it seems like no matter what you do, you win, or no matter what you do, you lose .. it's like that in everything.