PDA

View Full Version : DEMISE OF A GREAT RACE!

Sericm
07-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Ever since its inception in 2002 the American Oaks was one of the races I really looked forward to, I made a lot of money on it since I was lucky enought to pick the winner 5 times and hit the exactas.

It started out as a $750,000 dollar race and is now downgraded to $250,000.

It is supposed to be a Grade 1 race but tomorrow's running would barely qualify as an overnight stakes.

What a shame!! But because California racing is in such Chaos, that I'm afraid this is the future.

Canadian
07-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Can someone explain to me how a place like California, with its massive population cannot support a thriving racing industry?

pba1817
07-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Nanny state...

shouldacoulda
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
They can't even support the state. How are they going to support racing?

elhelmete
07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Can someone explain to me how a place like California, with its massive population cannot support a thriving racing industry?

There are lots of reasons, both stupendous and mundane, and not just limited to surface and management, though this board might lead one to believe otherwise. And they affect all racing jurisdictions, not just Cali. I see short, thin stakes fields almost everywhere.

So I won't re-hash the obvious.

But the one reason I don't see talked about that much, but that plays a noticeable part is this:

SoCal connections don't have the same array of shipping options that folks in other parts of the nation have. So they either stay or leave "for good", and don't cycle their stock around a quasi-circuit to keep business going.

46zilzal
07-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Things change the wonderfully practical I Ching tells us that...ONCE the American Derby was the premiere run in the country ranked higher than the Kentucky Derby

JustRalph
07-02-2010, 07:27 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/02/2864614/governor-puts-200000-state-workers.html

Not sure, but the Stews might be working for 7 bucks an hour today :lol:

California ........the grand liberal experiment