PDA

View Full Version : The Profit Maximizer

GMCstreak
08-08-2003, 01:15 PM
I was looking threw my copy of,The Horse Player Magazine for this month and ran across a new book called ,The Profit Maximizer,by John Piesen--he said that he was a handicapper at DRF at one time- and holds the record for picking 207 winners in a row--has anyone checked this book out?-- Gary

SAL
08-08-2003, 09:07 PM
207 winners in a row? If you believe that I have a couple of bridges you may be interested in buying......

Dave Schwartz
08-08-2003, 09:30 PM
I would challenge anyone to pick 207 LOSERS in a row. <G>

Dave Schwartz

jk3521
08-08-2003, 09:56 PM
The actual claim is that he had a winner 207 days in a row , I believe. That is not saying that he made a profit during this span. I used to like to read his columns in the New York Post, but now he is just another one of those selection services rip-off artists.

tedwin
08-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Yes, but Dave, how many people could lose 207 days in a row?

As I recall from seeing the ad for this poece, it is 31 pages long. Now length is not the test for quality, but somehow I have the feeling this book(let) won't maximize much.

PaceAdvantage
08-09-2003, 02:22 AM
He picked at least 1 winner on his 9 race/10race analysis for 207 consecutive days, or something to that effect....

Still not sure why or if this is supposed to be an impressive feat...

takeout
08-09-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by tedwin
Now length is not the test for quality, but somehow I have the feeling this book(let) won't maximize much.
I disagree. It will maximize Mr. Piesen's bankroll. :D

timtam
08-09-2003, 08:52 AM
I thought the Profit Maximizer was a place and show method. I received the long advertisement close to 6 mths ago so I might be wrong. I thought it took advantage of the different pools with discrepencies on money bet.

takeout
08-09-2003, 02:07 PM
I just saw that ad in the last copy of Horseplayer Mag. (Last meaning the final one that I will buy. Is it just me or has that thing lost a lot of its appeal in the last year or so?)

The Piesen ad appears to be a WPS method of betting in proportions of 1-2-6. (The State has got to love the breakage they get on that one.)
The 1-2-6 can be figured out from the example in the ad but I don't get how he made the leap to a *total return* of $473.80? Then, the next words are, "on $20 bets you'd have *netted* $4,738!"

I don't think I would want to buy something called "The Profit Maximizer" from an ad that didn't differentiate between total return and net return. But thanks for the belly laugh. If nothing else these types of ads do provide some comic relief.

What happened to this guy, anyway? Did he run in to Mike Warren somewhere along the line? Didn't he used to be fairly well respected? Sooner or later they all sell out . . . or at least sell something! ;)

andicap
08-09-2003, 04:04 PM
How else is an old newspaper guy who can't get a job in the press supposed to earn a living? Rick Lang, another old Post handicapper, sold his picks. John Pricci, ex-Newsday handicapper, has thoroughbredworld.com where he sells picks.

These people have public followings believe it or not -- otherwise why would the newspaper pay them?

dav4463
08-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Horseplayer magazine has really deteriorated in my opinion. I am not renewing my subscription because when I get it in the mail, it takes me about 5 minutes to scan it and read what I want to read. The rest of the mag is glossy ads and stories about handicapping tournaments, where to stay etc.... nothing really about picking the horses. At least American Turf Monthly does talk about handicapping. Can anyone recommend a really good handicapping magazine ?

Dan Montilion
08-10-2003, 03:55 AM
dav4463

For my money Meadow's Racing Monthly, published by Barry Meadow is head and shoulders above the others.

Dan Montilion

takeout
08-10-2003, 05:24 AM
Doesn't he weigh in on claims from ads and such? Maybe he'll do a thing on "The Profit Maximizer".

Derek2U
08-10-2003, 08:56 AM
The only trouble I have with Barry Meadow's newsletter is his
almost Frankel-like whining quality. It shows up (to me) in How
he writes-- sooner or later in an article -- most likely sooner.
And, for the 67,876 time, WHEN WHEN will he & others STOP
thinking that a HUGE database has THE answer. IOW, as nice
& honest & smart as Jim Cramer is, STOP thinking of him as some
industry guru. Dump the tired Cramer-proofs from his database
of 6 trillion races from 733 tracks. Who cares? It proves nothing
& will just (as likely) make you discard a useful method. It's no
wonder nothing works to BM --- and why does he keep on proving
that month after month?

dav4463
08-10-2003, 02:40 PM
I overlooked Meadow's Racing Monthly. It is pretty good. I've subscribed for the past couple of years, haven't renewed since it expired in June. Some months it is great, but other months I scan it for about 5 minutes and nothing applies to me. I really did like his analysis of longshots that appeared a couple of months ago, but a lot of the newsletter is just "filler" stuff that doesn't interest me. I still may renew it though. I used to read American Turf Monthly, but then it became pretty much the same thing every month.

Tom
08-10-2003, 03:47 PM
You can buy it a month at a time from TrackMaster....$10 an issue, no subscription needed-buy when you want it.