PDA

View Full Version : Simulcast Weekly-new look

andicap
08-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Simulcast Weekly has a new look and i think its improved.

They have put all the tracks together rather than spread out the info for each track throughout the publication. So you get two pages of Saratoga winners book, trainer stats and the bias/wrap up page.

The charts are still in the back.
They have added a good trainer's profile feature. this week Carlos Morales explains his patience with young horses.

And the typeface is better, easier to read.

Yes, they did raise the price to $5, but still think it's a good buy with all the charts and wrap up on each track. (I don't take the handicapper's idea on the bias as Gospel but it's a good start).

HOWEVER, I must dispute something Marc at DRF posted on the board. He said the result charts indicate if the rails were up or not. If they do, I can't find them in the charts. The rails info, however, is in the Simul Weekly on the track bias page.

Finally, I want to put in a good word for a DRF circulation exec, Rich Ostrove, who actually works for a company that contracts with the DRF.
He is the manager for the DRF's distribution in the NY area and responded to my email yesterday about finding the Simulcast Weekly in my area within three hours.
We're always complaining about the DRF here, but Rich stepped up and helped me out.
Marc at DRF, if you're out there -- hats off to Rich Ostrove.

_ _ _ _

azmike
08-08-2003, 01:39 PM
What is the Simulcast Weekly?

andicap
08-08-2003, 03:04 PM
DRF puts out a publication every Wednesday with all of the charts (from major tracks) from the week before as well as summaries of each day at larger tracks with comments on possible biases, info about the rails, weather, horses that got into trouble, etc. Also some trainer stats as well.

Also contains a handicapping article or two and wrap ups of the stakes races from the previous weeks.

You can subscribe through the mail, tho its expensive if you want to get it on a timely basis.

creatureman
08-08-2003, 06:38 PM
i wish DRF could put it online!

Tom
08-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by creatureman
i wish DRF could put it online!

When thry do, lok for $6.00 and issue! :rolleyes:

cj
08-11-2003, 09:49 PM
I guess I'm a pessimist, but I don't think the new changes justified an extra $1. The one thing I wanted was to get the dates of the Winners Books and the dates of the charts to be the same. Currently, they run the Winners Books from Sunday thru the next Saturday, while the charts are from Monday to the next Sunday. How hard could this be to fix? I'm sure there is a reason, but whatever it is, its not a good enough answer for me.

Suff
08-12-2003, 08:43 PM
reengineering

Marc At DRF
08-14-2003, 01:37 PM
-Simo Weekly won't be sold online because the circ is so small that any dent in print circ via online cannibalization would make printing it financially less than viable.

-Winner's Books have to do with when Beyers' numbers are done. There's a delay there. Agree it's inconevient.

-Turf rail info, looking back into it.

Marc At DRF
08-14-2003, 01:46 PM
-Follow up on the turf rail. Currently, the way the data is sent to us, it leaves a place-holding spot for turf rail info that isn't filled the right way-- a couple of databases talking to each other in different languages. We're in the last week (or, sigh, couple weeks) of working out the kinks on the database re-engineering. And once those kinks are worked out, new system, with turf rail data flowed into the charts.

It's coming, I swear...