PDA

View Full Version : Jenna Bush - theft victim

cj's dad
07-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Fellow south Baltimore resident Jenna Bush (Hager) was the victim of property theft recently at her South Baltimore home. Her garage was broken into and two bikes valued at $3500 were stolen. She was away at the time.

Amazingly, the local TV outlets here showed the front of her townhouse (which is very distinctive) and the street sign which would make finding her home very easy.

The particular street is 15 blocks long; approx. 1 1/2 miles.

My understanding is that she no longer has Secret Service protection.

More at the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/19/jenna-bush-hager-bikes-st_n_618454.html

sandpit
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Two bikes worth $3,500??? What is she doing, prepping for the Tour de France. I know people with cars not worth that much.

GameTheory
07-01-2010, 08:54 PM
A fancy bike with high-end components can easily cost $1800. There are plenty that cost much more. My low-end bike (but still from a quality brand) was around $450.

sandpit
07-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, I'm out of touch. I've got an old 10 speed I ride around the neighborhood and was thinking of upgrading, but I better beef up the bank account first.

toetoe
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I blame her dad. I mean, the debate is over. Clearly, he acted stupidly, yadda, yadda, etc. :rolleyes: .

GameTheory
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Bikes are like cars. A lightly-used "last year's model" can be gotten for significantly cheaper than a brand new one. And the better brands (Trek, Specialized, etc) are much more than something you get an Wal-Mart, which is likely to not even be put together correctly. (Well worth it if you are going to be doing regular cycling.) I wanted something that I could put thousands of miles on. The difference between a $400 bike and an $800 bike is often just better components (gear shifters, wheels, brakes, seat, etc) on the same frame. The components are all made by different companies specializing in different parts of the bike. You can also upgrade your bike this way by just switching out parts.

For an occasional tool around the neighborhood, just get something used off of Craigslist. (Figure out what the correct size bike you need first.)