PDA

View Full Version : 4 yr old maiden, resuced from slaughter, running again 7/02

WinterTriangle
06-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Letdetrumpetblare, keep him in my virtual stable as "interesting to follow", running ARL 3rd on July 02. Ran 4th on Sept 24th in his debut, came in 3rd last month.

Interesting story:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/June/02/Rescued-Letdetrumpetblare-aims-at-victory-on-the-track.aspx

I wish this horse luck. :)
His $1,740 in earnings has gone to Sutter’s Mid America Horse Rescue (the rescuer):ThmbUp:

thaskalos
06-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Stories like this leave you numb inside. You don't know if you should laugh or cry...

You are happy that the horse was saved...but when you think that this "coolest horse with the coolest personality" was this close to being slaughtered, you get disgusted.

nijinski
06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
I have mixed emotions as well.
They brought up that the horse had nagging problems , and I hope
they are behind him.

illinoisbred
07-01-2010, 07:38 AM
WT-I was not aware of the story behind this horse-thanks for the link. Trumpet couldn't have fallen into better hands,Michelle Boyce is an an exceptional,caring human being. Under her tutelage the best interests of the horse will always come 1st.

joanied
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
great story...and so good to know he is in good hands, thanks to Illinoisbred for letting us know that...
Winter T, since you'll be watching him, please keep us posted, if you can...

one thing...here is a quote from the story:
"While Letdetrumpetblare was bred to win races, he initially was not given the chance. Sold at a Fairmount Park paddock sale as a yearling, no horsemen was willing to bid. He only drew interest for his flesh, purchased as eventual meat for $200."

Does this mean that horses going through this paddock sale can be purchased for slaughter...that there are actually kill buyers at this sale...if that is true, what the hell :confused: :mad:

illinoisbred
07-01-2010, 10:11 AM
great story...and so good to know he is in good hands, thanks to Illinoisbred for letting us know that...
Winter T, since you'll be watching him, please keep us posted, if you can...

one thing...here is a quote from the story:
"While Letdetrumpetblare was bred to win races, he initially was not given the chance. Sold at a Fairmount Park paddock sale as a yearling, no horsemen was willing to bid. He only drew interest for his flesh, purchased as eventual meat for $200."

Does this mean that horses going through this paddock sale can be purchased for slaughter...that there are actually kill buyers at this sale...if that is true, what the hell :confused: :mad:
I found that strange too-kill buyers at the sale. Hopefully things have changed for the better here now that 1 of the last slaughterhouses/rendering plants in the nation, located in DeKalb,Illinois has been dismantled and closed.

joanied
07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I found that strange too-kill buyers at the sale. Hopefully things have changed for the better here now that 1 of the last slaughterhouses/rendering plants in the nation, located in DeKalb,Illinois has been dismantled and closed.

Kill buyers need to be banned from these sales...so I do hope that this practice is something from the past...and that Letthetrumpetblare was one of the last that faced this fate...and thank goodness, was rescued.
Remember, they still slaughter in Canada & Mexico :(

WinterTriangle
07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Hopefully things have changed for the better here now that 1 of the last slaughterhouses/rendering plants in the nation, located in DeKalb,Illinois has been dismantled and closed.

It costs more in gasoline now to transport then over borders, so I imagine that eats into somebody's profit.

Sorry, but I'm no Pollyanna about this stuff. Still way too many ways, (more than one would care to think about), that TBs end up at slaugherhouses.

Yes, Joanied, I'll keep up with him. I have a stable of several horses that I just like to keep an eye on. Some are aged, some are with trainers/owners that has less than sparkling reputations, some are rescues, etc.

(meaning, not all the ones I keep an eye on am I worried about.....some are just delightful to track!) The people trumpet ended up with, as ILL says, are top notch.

Like I said if everyone would *adopt* one horse a year into their virtual stable, that would be thousands of horses that somebody is *buddying with.* It kept that re-run adopted older horse who had the trainer who had never trained that we all talked about from running at CDX (so many people phoned in!), and it might have kept that 13 year old from racing at Woodbine, stuff like that! Who knows.

Anyway, if it's in your heart to do, choose one or two and be their bud

joanied
07-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Winter T... yes, gas does cost more, so let's hope the killers aren't cruising so much now...but, horses still find their way to a horrible end, despite that...as you said...too many avenues to take.
I'm going to follow suit and find one to attach myself to...excellent idea:ThmbUp:

Hedevar
07-17-2010, 12:45 PM
The horse Letetrumptetblare who was saved from slaughter and is trained by Michele Boyce is entered in the third at AP today July 17th.

Hedevar
07-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Everyone seemed interested when this story broke and were going to follow this horse. Put him in their virtual stable. Not one person commented on the story yesterday when I posted the fact he was entered. He finished fifth.

Robert Goren
07-18-2010, 08:18 AM
I have a question for you. Do you feel the same way about steer as you do about a gelding? And why not?

trackrat59
07-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm going to put him in my watch.

I can't begin to explain what the topic of horse slaughter does to my brain and heart. I can't really even think about it for long. I really can't. Don't get me wrong, I know the vast majority of us don't like it or agree with it. I just have a weak constitution when it comes to this topic.

I understand there are diverse cultures in the world, but for us, the U.S., I think it's awful that we don't protect our horses from this type of fate. Each and every one of them.

I hate to even bring this up but here goes. The bottom line and defining moment of this awful wrong for me is, how is it that a past Derby winner winds up in another country being slaughtered? What did we in this country and all in this industry to wrong to allow this to slip through the cracks and happen?

Had I known anything at the time I would have pulled out my Visa, quickly figured out how to ship a horse from that stinkin country back to the US. I would have proudly been able to say I have a previous Derby winner in my field. I run this over and over in my head and it just about kills me. No $hit. :(

Hedevar
07-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I have a question for you. Do you feel the same way about steer as you do about a gelding? And why not?

Intriguing question. I am not a vegetarian but I do have feelings for all animals. There is a difference, steers are produced for food. In almost all cases human consumption. Horses are bred to race, especially thoroughbreds, and should be given a chance to do so. Not shipped to Canada or Mexico to end up on a French dinner table. There is nothing I can do to save an individual steer, I can and do act to save horses. I consider horses noble animals not sources of food.

Horses have provided me with a great deal of enjoyment during my life and I would like to give something back. Horses and humans can and do bond. I have never seen that with a steer although admittedly I have not spent any time around steers.

trackrat59
07-18-2010, 08:43 AM

RG:
Your question is a fair one. I can only answer for myself. We don't eat horses in this country. It's like we don't eat dogs in this country either. It's just not part of our culture. I think for the good majority of people in the U.S. it turns ones stomach to think about eating horse or dog meat. It's just not done. No one wants to think about eating their pets.

I don't know anything at all about beef cows and how that works. I can tell you it's inhuman how horses are slaughtered.

For what it's worth I don't eat much meat at all.

Robert Goren
07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I grew up on a farm that had both cattle and horses. I could not find two cents worth of differences in the two. Actually pigs have far personality than either if you bother to get to know them.

Hedevar
07-18-2010, 09:00 AM
I grew up on a farm that had both cattle and horses. I could not find two cents worth of differences in the two. Actually pigs have far personality than either if you bother to get to know them.

Having grown up on a farm you and I are coming from two different directions. To you animals are to be used to make a living with no emotion involved. It is dollars and cents. I take a different approach and am firmly against horse slaughter. While we're asking questions what is your position on horse slaughter?

joanied
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Everyone seemed interested when this story broke and were going to follow this horse. Put him in their virtual stable. Not one person commented on the story yesterday when I posted the fact he was entered. He finished fifth.

I don't know anything about Boyce...will he take care of the horse? Since he finished 5th, which, IMO, considering everything, is pretty good...will they drop him down or what/
I don't have a virtual stable, and this time of the year, I don't have time...so, I for one, would appreciate any update you can give, Hedevar...it would be appreciated.

joanied
07-19-2010, 10:18 AM

We have horses and cattle on our farm...and one of our son's has pigs...that you can't find a difference between them, as far as any emotional attachment, IMO, is amazing...just how much time did you spend with these animals?
I also know someone that had a Potbellied pig...she did get attached to that pig...folks can get attached to almost any animal...you can say a pig has more personality than a cow has, but certainly not a horse.
It sounds to me that you can not or will not form any kind of bond with one of these animals.
You have a horse, if you are lucky, for decades, you do everything for that horse, feed, groom, ride, take care of it if it's sick or injured, if it's a broodmare, you are there to watch over delivery and then bond with the foal...a good horse will do anything for you, go anywhere you point his nose and will respond to all the love you give him.
You don't do all that wil pigs or cows, and you don't raise a horse, or keep a horse, to eventually kill it for food.
We run about 75 head of cattle...they are all beef cattle, and the culls and calves all go to market (calves go as yearlings)...we calve out all the cows, and the babies are adorable...but we know what they are being raised for, and although we feel sad for a while after we haul them to the auction, we sure don't cry or mourn them like we'd do a horse or a dog...and if you know anything about cattle, they do not equate things like a horse does...when they are put into a trailer and hauled, they show no fear, they don't get stressed, and once at the auction facility, they don't care what pen they're in, or what other cows they are with...they simply have no clue...maybe that is nature's way of allowing them to deal with the inevitable...unlike a horse, who knows what is happening to them, they have absolute emotions, stress, fear, confusion.
:bang: I just cannot understand how you can beleive there is no difference.

Robert Goren
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Having grown up on a farm you and I are coming from two different directions. To you animals are to be used to make a living with no emotion involved. It is dollars and cents. I take a different approach and am firmly against horse slaughter. While we're asking questions what is your position on horse slaughter? I have no position on way or the other on horse slaughter. I had a pet horse and a pet calf as a child. I like them both equally. We had a pig that I bottle feed when its mother died in giving birth to it. I can tell you that it was as smart as a cat or dog I ever had. I think pigs would make great pets if they did not get so big. You never want to see anything die that you get attached to. I eat meat, but I have never eaten horse meat although I have owned some things made of horse hide. I am not going to hypocritical about it and say slaughtering cattle is ok, but horses is not.

Hedevar
07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't know anything about Boyce...will he take care of the horse? Since he finished 5th, which, IMO, considering everything, is pretty good...will they drop him down or what/
I don't have a virtual stable, and this time of the year, I don't have time...so, I for one, would appreciate any update you can give, Hedevar...it would be appreciated.

Michelle Boyce is a fine woman who I know. She cares very much about her horses and takes good care of them. This is not hearsay I have been on her shedrow and seen it for myself.

At one time she was married to Neil Boyce, now deceased, who was an early trainer of Farma Way. The Boyce's ran their stable together.

Letdetrumpetblare earned $315.00 for his 5th place finish on Saturday in a Maiden Illinois Bred $10,000 claimer. Arlington doesn't run any cheaper so there is no room to drop him.

OntheRail
07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Letdetrumpetblare shown a decent closing kick... wonder how he would do on turf?

As for horses they are classified as a companion animal and not for consumption. Horse slaughter is just wrong on so many levels.

joanied
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Michelle Boyce is a fine woman who I know. She cares very much about her horses and takes good care of them. This is not hearsay I have been on her shedrow and seen it for myself.

At one time she was married to Neil Boyce, now deceased, who was an early trainer of Farma Way. The Boyce's ran their stable together.

Letdetrumpetblare earned $315.00 for his 5th place finish on Saturday in a Maiden Illinois Bred $10,000 claimer. Arlington doesn't run any cheaper so there is no room to drop him.

Hey, thanks so much for the info...sure makes me feel good about this horse now...sounds like everything is going well, he's in good hands...I like that:)

joanied
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Letdetrumpetblare shown a decent closing kick... wonder how he would do on turf?

As for horses they are classified as a companion animal and not for consumption. Horse slaughter is just wrong on so many levels.

Right:ThmbUp: