PDA

View Full Version : The worst nonhorseracing DQ ever

Grits
06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Guys, this has gotta be the most unfortunate DQ I have ever heard of in my life. Deserved, but unfortunate. The absolute worst.

A team/boat out of Virginia landed the almost 900lb blue marlin that would have handily won Carolina's annual "Big Rock" Marlin Tournament a few days ago. This was the largest catch in the history of the tournament. One of their mates didn't have his $15.00 required recreational fishing license. They were ultimately DQed. (And guys, all these men know this stuff, they've been entering such competitions for years.)

Can you imagine losing almost one million in prize money because one of your buddies didn't have his $15. fishing license?

I would've thrown him overboard, and kept heading to shore. I would've drowned him over that million bucks. I swear I would've.:lol: :lol: :lol:

The link:

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=1463

An excerpt:

The board of directors, in a press release distributed Monday around 6 p.m., said, "It is apparent that there has been a substantial violation of Tournament rules. The Board of Directors has unanimously determined that they have no choice but to disqualify the 883-pound blue marlin caught on June 14, 2010. The rule violation did not involve "dishonesty" or "cheating" on the part of the owners or the crew of the Citation."

The press release indicated that the rules violation involved the boat's mate not having a valid Coastal Recreational Fishing License, as required by tournament rules. The board determined that the mate did not have a license when the winning fish was boated at 3:16 p.m., but he obtained one at 5:51 p.m. the same day -- apparently ordering it over the telephone -- while the boat was heading to Morehead City from the waters offshore of Diamond Shoals to weigh in the marlin

kenwoodall2
06-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I've never heard of a jockey telephoning in for a license while the horse was on the lead!LOL!

NJ Stinks
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the story, Grits! I'm frustrated and I wasn't even on the winning boat. :)

Grits
07-01-2010, 12:07 AM
NJ, it tore me up. I couldn't believe it when it was reported. Every year at the coast this is the largest event of the summer. Men from all over, vying for the biggest Blue. 1 million almost, just gone.

I'm kidding, of course, when I say I'd have drowned him. But, I swear I wouldn't cook him another meal if my life depended on it.:lol:

PhantomOnTour
07-01-2010, 02:36 AM
"D'oh!"

-Homer Simpson

cj's dad
07-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Something smells fishy here !

DJofSD
07-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Fishing license, birth certificate, badges? Badges!? I ain't got to show you no stinkin' badges!!!