PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine surface?

Learned Hand35
06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Like an idiot, I decided to give Woodbine a try again tonight and felt the pain first race.

I hate to toss a track that seems to consistently have some nice payouts, but I am at a loss here. I feel like I am totally oblivious to something. It may in fact be my handicapping style just forecloses betting there.

I finally broke myself of throwing money into my personal blackhole known as Santa Anita and I think Woodbine is soon to not see a dime from me again.

Is Woodbine's plastic chemically similar to SA's pro-ride? Like SA, I might as well be throwing darts at the program to make picks. These two are currently in a dead heat for a personal biggest waste of bank roll.

cj
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
It pays to know the quirks of the track. One is there are three very distinct lines as far as distance goes. The races at <6f, those >6 and <7, and the routes. Horses moving between those lines better relax very well if extending in distance, or show a lot more speed if cutting back.

46zilzal
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Wednesday's cards are the dregs.....I watch them and rarely make a wager....WEEKENDS are another entire ball game as this course plays almost like dirt...The only poly that retained most of the quirks it had before the change with good prices in big fields.

That track is unique and is not much akin to any of the other synthetics.

kenwoodall2
06-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Like an idiot, I decided to give Woodbine a try again tonight and felt the pain first race.

I hate to toss a track that seems to consistently have some nice payouts, but I am at a loss here. I feel like I am totally oblivious to something. It may in fact be my handicapping style just forecloses betting there.

I finally broke myself of throwing money into my personal blackhole known as Santa Anita and I think Woodbine is soon to not see a dime from me again.

Is Woodbine's plastic chemically similar to SA's pro-ride? Like SA, I might as well be throwing darts at the program to make picks. These two are currently in a dead heat for a personal biggest waste of bank roll.
So every dirt track in the USA/Canada is always perfect, or do you just work for a dirt supplier?

Space Monkey
06-30-2010, 08:47 PM
JMO, I like Woodbine racing, hate the takeout. But with handicappable races at a premium, I have had to lower my standards on not betting high takeout tracks.

WinterTriangle
06-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Woodbine has the best track maintenance reports you'll ever see on their site. Getting to know how the track plays after it's gallop-mastered versus power-harrowed, and at what depth, will tell you quite a lot about what running style will work. Getting to know the trainers' workout and layoff success patterns helps a lot there, too. Takeout sucks, but nice big fields and odds.

Robert Fischer
06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Woodbine is one of the best going.

46zilzal
06-30-2010, 09:10 PM
purses are huge......often over 50K for a maiden special weight

Tom
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
I pretty much like WO, but if you get lazy, it will kick your teeth out!
I'll take WO over Mth any day of the week.

Learned Hand35
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
So every dirt track in the USA/Canada is always perfect, or do you just work for a dirt supplier?

Quite the leap there my friend. I freely admit I prefer dirt, however there are some plastic tracks I enjoy betting and where I have a postive ROI. Hollywood and GG are two examples.

I detest SA do to my inability to come up with anyway to make decent picks andas such I do not bet there anymore. My failures and patterns of the failures at WO are the mirror image of my failures at SA.

Everyone else:

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to give up on this track, but need to figure out where my handicapping breakdown is or I will be forced to.

As Tom says, it is kicking me in the teeth.

JustRalph
07-01-2010, 04:32 AM
I think it is the most consistent of the plastic tracks

Made two bets today, placed them around 6p and went to dinner

Caught the 2nd place finisher in the 6th and the winner in the nightcap

Jcapper does pretty well up there

exiles
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM

I leave the rubber tracks to the lottery players.

46zilzal
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I leave the rubber tracks to the lottery players.
Then you are missing out on a good one that runs almost 8 months a year