PDA

View Full Version : Because Hugo says so: Venezuela govt to nationalize 11 US-owned oil rigs

andymays
06-30-2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.939483e305b1ba22fc2cd72e1641a9c 0.5b1&show_article=1

Excerpt:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez (right) alongside Oil and Energy Minister ...
Venezuela's legislature has voted to nationalize 11 oil rigs owned by the US firm Helmerich & Payne.

The rigs, located in Monagas, Anzoategui and Zulia states, will be taken over by state oil giant Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), the official news agency AVN said.

Tom
06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Act of war. Prepare the sorties.

Robert Goren
06-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Local governments in the USA do this all the time. It is called Imminent Domain. The difference is that they take it from the small guy and give it to the corporations. Nobody even blinks an eye when it happens now days.

Pell Mell
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Just once I'd like to see something that you guys can't defend, just once.:bang:

Steve 'StatMan'
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM

We'll see. Remember, President Pushover is supposedly in charge.

Tom
06-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Don't forget Vice President Popsicle.

Tom
06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Local governments in the USA do this all the time. It is called Imminent Domain. The difference is that they take it from the small guy and give it to the corporations. Nobody even blinks an eye when it happens now days.

Where do you draw the legal inference from his actions? Eminent Domain is spelled out in our laws. Would you support him if he started sending you tax bills?

bigmack
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
The rigs in question have been sidelined for more than a year. Helmerich turned them off because PDVSA owes it some $43 million for work the Oklahoma firm already performed. Helmerich says it wants to be paid first before turning them back on because it doesn't aim to work for free.

Hugo didn't want to pony-up $43 million so he took idle rigs. :D

BlueShoe
06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
How much is Hugo going to compensate us for this act of piracy? If nothing, perhaps a few Tomahawk missiles from one of our attack submarines might up the deal a bit. First the 43 mil and then the price of the rigs.

GameTheory
06-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Local governments in the USA do this all the time. It is called Imminent Domain. The difference is that they take it from the small guy and give it to the corporations. Nobody even blinks an eye when it happens now days.Actually the right fights against this all the time. Kyl said he was going to ask Kagan about it if no one else had yet during yesterday's questioning. Don't know if he did.

BlueShoe
06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Actually the right fights against this all the time.
If there is one issue that the Right and Left often agree on, it is this one. Opposition to predatory Imminent Domain practices often have bi partisan support on both sides of the aisle.

cj's dad
06-30-2010, 07:42 PM
If there is one issue that the Right and Left often agree on, it is this one. Opposition to predatory Imminent Domain practices often have bi partisan support on both sides of the aisle.

The word is not imminent. Sorry, I do tons of crossword puzzles. I'm just trying to help.

BlueShoe
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry, I do tons of crossword puzzles. I'm just trying to help.
Became bored with crossword puzzles decades ago when I became aware that I much preferred to read the Daily Racing Form for mental stimulation, but thanks. RG gets a demerit for this also, both of us should have said eminent.

plainolebill
06-30-2010, 11:58 PM
WTF is he going to do with them? If he had people qualified to operate the rigs he'd just have bought a few and drilled.

**Side note....Venezuela was screwed up long before that buffoon showed up, when I was there in the early 80's you couldn't even make a collect phone call 'out' of the country because they were so broke. All the oil revenue went to the military and the rich folks. The highway into Caracas from La Quira (nearest port - 45 miles) went through nothing but the miles and miles of tarpaper shacks, the poorest people you can imagine.

Robert Goren
07-01-2010, 12:38 AM
The word is not imminent. Sorry, I do tons of crossword puzzles. I'm just trying to help. :blush: You are so right.

Robert Goren
07-01-2010, 12:42 AM
If there is one issue that the Right and Left often agree on, it is this one. Opposition to predatory Imminent Domain practices often have bi partisan support on both sides of the aisle.But not enough to do away with it.

cj's dad
07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
:blush: You are so right.

No biggie !

As a matter of fact, there are many cases where

"the imposition of eminent domain is imminent".