PDA

View Full Version : 5-4: SUPREMES AFFIRM GUN RIGHTS NATIONWIDE

andymays
06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062802134_pf.html

Excerpt:

The Supreme Court held Monday that the Constitution's Second Amendment restrains government's ability to significantly limit "the right to keep and bear arms," advancing a recent trend by the John Roberts-led bench to embrace gun rights.

By a narrow, 5-4 vote, the justices also signaled, however, that some limitations on the right could survive legal challenges.

Writing for the court in a case involving restrictive laws in Chicago and one of its suburbs, Justice Samuel Alito said that the Second Amendment right "applies equally to the federal government and the states."

The court was split along familiar ideological lines, with five conservative-moderate justices in favor of gun rights and four liberals opposed. Chief Justice Roberts voted with the majority.

andymays
06-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Breaking: Court strikes Chicago handgun ban

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/06/28/breaking-court-strikes-chicago-handgun-ban/

Excerpt:

The Heller decision now has a sibling. The Supreme Court reversed the Seventh Circuit in a widely-anticipated case that defines the reach of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in the case of McDonald v Chicago. The ruling invalidates Chicago’s ban on handguns and reiterates the Court’s finding that the post-Civil War amendments to the Constitution incorporated the Bill of Rights into law binding on the sovereign states:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ban on handguns in Chicago has really worked hasn't it? Didn't they have close to ten murders and 50 people wounded a couple of weekend ago by people who used handguns?

46zilzal
06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Yup we all knew those double barrel shot guns to go up on the gun rack with our toothless smile and Jerry Springer mindset.

boxcar
06-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Yup we all knew those double barrel shot guns to go up on the gun rack with our toothless smile and Jerry Springer mindset.

Yup, it's high time Chicagoians get to protect themselves from the criminally-minded who are always ill-disposed toward obeying laws.

Boxcar

Robert Goren
06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Yup, it's high time Chicagoians get to protect themselves from the criminally-minded who are always ill-disposed toward obeying laws.

Boxcar How do you protect yourself from a stray bullet fired a hundred yards away by couple of gangs going after one another?

illinoisbred
06-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I heard on the radio-3 killed,22 shot this weekend in Chicago. They might surpass last weekends this upcoming week-3 day holiday weekend.

Pell Mell
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Once again you have proven yourself to be a mindless, biased, bigoted, pompous, sanctimonious, self righteous, ignorant prick that should have that double barrel stuck up your ass and both triggers pulled.:cool:

Tom
06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
4 lifetime appointed justices are willing to abridge our rights to free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, and freedom of the press.

All of our very freedoms can hinge on one person. Scary stuff.

Dave Schwartz
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Pell,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU "made my day" with that one. (Spoken in my best - which isn't very good - Clint Eastwood voice.)

Dave

NJ Stinks
06-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Once again you have proven yourself to be a mindless, biased, bigoted, pompous, sanctimonious, self righteous, ignorant prick that should have that double barrel stuck up your ass and both triggers pulled.:cool:

Don't sugarcoat it, Pell Mell. :ThmbDown:

What works in Montana doesn't work in the big cities. Seems simple enough to me.

boxcar
06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
How do you protect yourself from a stray bullet fired a hundred yards away by couple of gangs going after one another?

You don't because that an unseen, fortuitous circumstance. You might as well have asked: How do you protect yourself from someone who runs a red light at 50 m.p.h and broadsides you? :bang: :bang:

Now, it's my turn to ask: How do you protect yourself from an armed home invasion? Or from someone who wants to hijack your vehicle?

Ball's in your court, Goren.

Boxcar

ceejay
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I think the far more interesting decision today is this one. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-28/christian-group-s-rights-not-violated-by-hastings-law-school-court-says.html) It basically addresses religious expression/association/speech and the swing vote went the other way.
The justices, voting 5-4, today upheld Hastings College of Law’s “all-comers” policy, which requires unrestricted membership for campus student groups. The policy doesn’t infringe First Amendment rights, the court said.
The Christian Legal Society chapter requires voting members and officers to sign a statement of agreement with the group’s religious views. The group also excludes those who engage in homosexual activity, saying such conduct is inconsistent with its principles.

Recognized student organizations get priority access to meeting space on the Hastings campus and the right to place announcements in the law school newsletter and on bulletin boards. Approved student organizations can also apply for funds to pay for activities and travel. The Christian Legal Society is the only group that has been denied recognition.

newtothegame
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM

More vile racist hatred...you really should see a Dr...:lol:

skate
06-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Welppers, i agree with the vote.

And and and i also agree with, i think T. Jefferson said he didnt agree with the term in Office, judgeship, being Lifetime.

I new a judge, head of the State Supremes, a gross out, going blind, complete drunk.
Would measure his drink by putting his finger in the glass, yep.

They did , not for some time, put him out, i guess they paid him.

Skate says, out with the Lifetime crap.

boxcar
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Don't sugarcoat it, Pell Mell. :ThmbDown:

What works in Montana doesn't work in the big cities. Seems simple enough to me.

Mr. Simple[-minded]:

Explain to us why. Are people in big cities better, more righteous than those folks in Montana.

Boxcar

bigmack
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Enlighten us. Bring our brains to your level of simplicity.

Robert Goren
06-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Mr. Simple[-minded]:

Explain to us why. Are people in big cities better, more righteous than those folks in Montana.

Boxcar It is the other way around.;)

BlueShoe
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
4 lifetime appointed justices are willing to abridge our rights to free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, and freedom of the press.

All of our very freedoms can hinge on one person. Scary stuff.
We have the far left Kagan coming soon to the High Court. If and when there are more vacancies, oBowma will appoint another that shares his Marxist ideology. Very scary stuff indeed.

boxcar
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
It is the other way around.;)

Well then...if people in Montana are so morally superior to those in big cities, why do folks in Montana need guns for self-protection purposes? Or asked differently -- if folks in big cities are, generally, morally inferior to those in rural areas wouldn't the "few" good folks therein require all the protection they can muster to protect themselves from the bad guys?

Boxcar

Robert Goren
06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Well then...if people in Montana are so morally superior to those in big cities, why do folks in Montana need guns for self-protection purposes? Or asked differently -- if folks in big cities are, generally, morally inferior to those in rural areas wouldn't the "few" good folks therein require all the protection they can muster to protect themselves from the bad guys?

BoxcarThey have to protect themselves from the hoards of illegal immigrants from Canada.:rolleyes:

boxcar
06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
They have to protect themselves from the hoards of illegal immigrants from Canada.:rolleyes:

I see that once again, since I have exposed the soft, muddle-headed underbelly to your logic, you can't give a serious answer.

The people who would need guns the most would be the good guys who are living in the same community with a bunch of bad apples. It really is simple logic. After all, laws don't mean a thing to the bad guys. And since the good guys can't get 24/7 protection from the police, then it stands to reason they're going to have to assume responsibility for their own well being.

You really should pay better attention to things I write...because while I may not always be right, I'm never wrong. :) You apparently missed out on my explanation on the fundamental purpose of laws. The litmus test for knowing whether or not any given law is good or bad is by asking: Does the law protect me or promote my general welfare (this latter term should be construed to mean "entitlements" :rolleyes: ) or infringe on any of my inalienable rights? Gun control laws, generally, are bad laws because they do not protect law abiding citizens. In fact, quite the opposite is true! It's not a good thing when only the bad guys and cops have guns -- at least not until such time as cops can figure out how to beg, borrow, steal or buy one of God's attributes, namely omnipresence.

In addition, gun control laws fail the above litmus test by infringing on a fundamental right of self-protection. Unfortunately, not everyone in this world is a holy angel...which means, we live in a highly imperfect world. When some government entity through its laws, therefore, restricts or even outright prohibits me from owning or even carrying a weapon for self-defense purposes, it is infringing on one of my inalienable rights. I have a God-given right and RESPONSIBILITY to protect myself and my family.

Got all this now? If six months from now, I ask you what is the litmus test for determining the moral status of laws, you will remember this teachable moment, right? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

JustRalph
06-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Concise, Accurate and perfectly stated. Everything an excellent post should be :ThmbUp: