PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see this?

illinoisbred
06-27-2010, 02:52 PM
After the unsaddling of the winner in today's 2nd race at Arlington, trainer Rafael Flores removed by knife the right front leg wrap before the groom lead him away. I can't say I've ever seen that before. Shouldn't all winners go to the testing barn with all equipment used less tack and blinkers?

sonnyp
06-27-2010, 03:02 PM
After the unsaddling of the winner in today's 2nd race at Arlington, trainer Rafael Flores removed by knife the right front leg wrap before the groom lead him away. I can't say I've ever seen that before. Shouldn't all winners go to the testing barn with all equipment used less tack and blinkers?

i don't know of any jurisdiction that has a test for leg wraps. they just take blood and urine.

illinoisbred
06-27-2010, 03:03 PM
i don't know of any jurisdiction that has a test for leg wraps. they just take blood and urine.
No, I don't think so. I just found it odd he felt it necessary to remove it so hastily.

sonnyp
06-27-2010, 03:14 PM
since they never know how long it will take to get the urine (the horse has to co-operate) he probably didn't want to keep the bandages on indefinately. like an ace bandage, the pressure on blood vessels etc. is best if relieved in a reasonable amount of time.

most grooms carry a safety type razor tool which slides between the leg and bandage to cut them off. i think most bandages come off as soon as the horse gets to the spit box anyway.

illinoisbred
06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
since they never know how long it will take to get the urine (the horse has to co-operate) he probably didn't want to keep the bandages on indefinately. like an ace bandage, the pressure on blood vessels etc. is best if relieved in a reasonable amount of time.

most grooms carry a safety type razor tool which slides between the leg and bandage to cut them off. i think most bandages come off as soon as the horse gets to the spit box anyway.
That's my understanding too. Again, I just found it odd that he removed just one and did it crudely with a pocket knife.

sonnyp
06-27-2010, 03:35 PM
he only removed one ? that is odd !

ManeMediaMogul
06-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Didn't see it but it sounds like maybe something happened to the bandage...maybe it slipped or frayed and the trainer didn't want it to bother the horse walking back to the barn area.

illinoisbred
06-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Didn't see it but it sounds like maybe something happened to the bandage...maybe it slipped or frayed and the trainer didn't want it to bother the horse walking back to the barn area.
That could be the case although it appeared to be intact and placed at the same heighth as the one on the right leg.

Niko
06-28-2010, 01:38 PM
at least he didn't have to remove the leg (referring to Gil's horse) :lol: