PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather,,Greatest movie ever?

only11
06-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I watch the Godfather last night again..this maybe the greatest movie ever?

My top 3
The Godfather-Millers Crossing-Godfather 2!Casa Blanca honorable mention.

DJofSD
06-27-2010, 11:03 AM
The book was better.

Here's a movie on tonight that I think is better: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=67786 . I have this one on DVD, the Godfather, nope.

Robert Goren
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
The Godfather movies are very good as is Casablanca. Caberet and The 1939 version(John Wayne) of Stagecoach are also my favorites. The Ten Commandents is another movie I watch whenever it is on TV. The Naked City is vastly underrated as is Tombstone(with Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday).

lamboguy
06-27-2010, 11:11 AM
personally, i like FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE better

Trotman
06-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Love the Mob movies. I'd like to see DiNiro, Pecsi, and Armand Asanti do a new Mob movie together.

Greyfox
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Casablanca and Gone With The Wind stand out for me.
I watch Casablanca every couple of years or so and always see something different. The other evening I watched Midnight Express and while it is not a best movie ever, it is also very powerful.

I'm not a fan of musicals normally, but I would say the best movie in the Musical Category would be:

"The Sound of Music"

TheBid9
06-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I watch the Godfather last night again..this maybe the greatest movie ever?

My top 3
The Godfather-Millers Crossing-Godfather 2!Casa Blanca honorable mention.

Just a question: what makes the Godfather the greatest movie ever? I only ask because I know several people who share your opinion, but cannot give me a reason why they like it so much.
Thanks

A. Pineda
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think that one of my favorites, the original (1962) version of Manchurian Candidate has stood the test of time. However, IMO "The Godfather" hasn't lost anything over time, and deserves to be included in a "top ten" list. "12 Angry Men" would get my vote for #1, though.

only11
06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Just a question: what makes the Godfather the greatest movie ever? I only ask because I know several people who share your opinion, but cannot give me a reason why they like it so much.
Thanks
I was just asking everyones opinion thats all...

Greyfox
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM

I thought that you might reply: "It's got a horse's head in it.";)

Robert Goren
06-27-2010, 12:32 PM
The Godfather has a great story and tells it well. It seems to get better with age.

eastie
06-27-2010, 12:50 PM
personally, i like FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE better

i was at that Bruins black hawks game in that movie, someone had a hat trick that night. i can remember my dad saying "they're shooting a Robert mitchum pictute up in the balcony."

The scene in the Godfather with Enzo the baker is outstanding. the best is when Michael is sitting in the chair and the camera slowly zooms in. You can almost hear the gears in his brain coming together.

cj's dad
06-27-2010, 01:01 PM
North by Northwest or almost anything by Hitchcock - pure genius !

The ending of "The Birds" - outstanding !

OTM Al
06-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I actually like the version they made for TV better that melded part 1 and 2 together with the addition of some deleted secenes, including one in which Michael has one of the guys killed that was part of killing his first wife, since it was for TV though of course other parts were edited, but felt it made for a stronger story.

For me there is no move better than Casablanca as it is perfect in every way. Other favorites include 12 Angry Men, High Noon, The Maltese Falcon, Paths of Glory, Manchurian Candidate, Jaws, Star Wars (original please), Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, and Lord of the Rings. Got to go with Greyfox for Sound of Music in the musical catagory. My parrot likes it too, so we've probably watched it 30 times. Honorable mention to the South Park movie in the category, though it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Living in NYC I also love to see movies actually filmed here from past years. Naked City is under rated I agree. Other NYC classics include The Taking of Pelham 123, The French Connection, Serpico, and the cult classic, The Warriors.

ArlJim78
06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
The Godfather belongs amongst the greats, it is truly a masterpiece. Nearly 40 years later it holds up very well. I never get tired of hearing that opening line "I believe in America"

Casablanca is the same way for me. Although older and a little dated, it is very powerful.

TheBid9
06-27-2010, 01:19 PM

My question was totally innocent in nature. It was not meant to make you uncomfortable in any way. If it did, I apologize.

only11
06-27-2010, 01:27 PM
No need to apologize..

Robert Goren
06-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Living in NYC I also love to see movies actually filmed here from past years. Naked City is under rated I agree. Other NYC classics include The Taking of Pelham 123, The French Connection, Serpico, and the cult classic, The Warriors. I have yet to see the second version, but first was very good.

BlueShoe
06-27-2010, 04:15 PM
While the rest of you were tuned into The Godfather, my set was on AMC, and the classic 1960 western "The Magnificent Seven", a film that never gets tiresome. It has always run head to head with "The Searchers" as to which is my favorite western of all time. Very close, photo finish between those two. While the GF 1 and 2 certainly are classics to be enjoyed, the glorification of mob life has always made me a bit uneasy. All time favorite film, in any catagory, is Casablanca.

OTM Al
06-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I have yet to see the second version, but first was very good.

It's not terrible and they changed enough of it so it doesn't seem like a rip off, but in the end, you just can't top Robert Shaw. Too bad he drank himself to death because he was some kind of actor.

xfile
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
A tie between The Godfather and Scarface
http://www.fullcardreports.com/tm.gif

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-27-2010, 08:50 PM
The magniicant seven would have to be in my top five movies of all time...star cast and the brilliance of all the actors especially Steve McQueen.

jballscalls
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM
i love the godfather, i've never thought scarface was even a good movie let alone a classic.

but i'm going to see Adam Sandlers Grown Up's tonight, i'm sure that will rival some of the movies on this list :rolleyes:

Sericm
06-27-2010, 10:37 PM
SHANE

LET IT RIDE

BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY:jump:

BlueShoe
06-27-2010, 11:35 PM
The magniicant seven would have to be in my top five movies of all time...star cast and the brilliance of all the actors especially Steve McQueen.
My favorite character from the film is Calvera, the bandit chieftan superbly played by Eli Wallach. Perhaps my favorite all time cinema bad guy.

NJ Stinks
06-28-2010, 12:17 AM
"Oh W-A-R-R-I-O-R-S....."

And what about Tuco, BlueShoe? :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Mars Attacks! and Dude, Where's My Car? get my votes in a landslide.

singletax
06-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Win: Godfather
Place: Godfather2
Show: Outlaw Josey Wales

Exacta: Kill Bill 1&2

Trifecta: Pulp Fiction/Goodfellas/Apocalypse Now

Superfecta: One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest/Deer Hunter/Cool Hand Luke/Treasure of Sierra Madre

Over weights: Lord of the Rings

Scratched: Rocky ( >3 )

Greyfox
06-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Treasure of Sierra Madre

You listed several. That one is a huge Bogey classic.:ThmbUp:

kingfin66
06-28-2010, 01:43 AM
I think Wall Street is a tremendous movie.

Also, Enter the Dragon, is not only a great movie, but important in that it is the first big studio martial arts film. Oh yeah, it had Bruce Lee in it as well.

Totally agree with Godfather, although I think it is the very rare case of a movie where the sequel is actually better than the orginal, and that is saying a lot.

Guilty pleasure movie: Roadhouse.

Comedy: I like 'em crass - Kingpin.

Sericm
06-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Racing Trifecta:

Seabiscuit, Let it Ride, Casey's Shadow.:jump:

toetoe
06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
i'm going to see Adam Sandlers Grown Up's tonight

Wait --- they're paying you to attend a screening, right ? To review it, er sump'n ? You are not paying ... are you ? :bang: . ;) .

The Judge
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Some already mentioned so I'll put those last. In no particular order, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Witness for the Prosecution (with Charles Laughton), Soldier's Story,High Noon,Bad Day at Black Rock, Raisin In The Sun, Suddenly, The Man With the Golden Arm, From Here to Eternity, Jaws, Magnificent 7, Shane, Enter the Dragon.

Just as an aside there are some more movies that Frank was in that were very good (Manchurian Candidate ) he was also depicted in Godfather, one of the all time greats. Seems his real life was every bit as exciting as his movie rolls.

Robert Goren
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Some already mentioned so I'll put those last. In no particular order, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Witness for the Prosecution (with Charles Laughton), Soldier's Story,High Noon,Bad Day at Black Rock, Raisin In The Sun, Suddenly, The Man With the Golden Arm, From Here to Eternity, Jaws, Magnificent 7, Shane, Enter the Dragon.

Just as an aside there are some more movies that Frank was in that were very good (Manchurian Candidate ) he was also depicted in Godfather, one of the all time greats. Seems his real life was every bit as exciting as his movie rolls. A Spencer Tracy movie that has largely been forgotten. Robert Ryan gave one of his best bad guy performances.

sandpit
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Blazing Saddles

Apocalypse Now

Powaqqatsi

Guilty pleasure: The Girl Next Door

46zilzal
06-30-2010, 03:33 PM
AFI top ones

eastie
07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
A Spencer Tracy movie that has largely been forgotten. Robert Ryan gave one of his best bad guy performances.

The scene where Tracy slapped Ernest Borgnine around in the diner was priceless.

Mike at A+
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
My top 5:

1.) The Godfather I
2.) Raiders of the Lost Arc
3.) The Sting
4.) Goodfellas
5.) The Hustler

toetoe
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Powaqqatsi

Ah, yes. Powaqqatsi, [Get] A Life, the biography of the great Anson Williams, a chronicle of happier days. And don't forget the prequel/sequel/cinematic Nyquil, Kaoyanispottsie. The feel-narcoleptic sensation of a lifetime. Two big thumbs up. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: