PDA

View Full Version : Are horse partnerships good for racing?

Papagalloracing
06-27-2010, 05:01 AM
I am curious as to everyones thoughts as we just put one together with 6 horses figuring it will be alot more exciting than just investing in one.
Anyone have good or bad experiences?

Kevin
papagalloracing.com

letswastemoney
06-27-2010, 05:09 AM
Hmmm...ad in disguise? j/k

Yep they are good. Perhaps they will graduate from partnerships and want to own their own horse one day.

lamboguy
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
the best kind of partnerships are the ones that a few friends get together and start and run. the structure of the game makes this a very tough road to make it in this sport though.

one of the most important thing if you want to be in this game is to try to have some fun in it. when i started it was alot of fun, but the fun has seemed to go by the wayside lately.

Papagalloracing
06-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the advice guys

Stillriledup
06-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Partnerships are good if the head of the partnership isnt fleecing owners by taking too big of a cut. They also can be good if the head guy knows what he's doing.

tbwinner
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I really think a partnership with total transparency is the way to go...this is not an ad as I have no relation to them but structuring after a group like Fantasy Lane Stable where they blatantly say they do a 10% markup and that's it I like it.

I've been and am still involved with a few partnership groups, and have owned on my own, they all have different strengths and drawbacks. I did manage my own partnership for a little but that proved to be too much (as I do have another job) so I let that be the first and last I would create.

Partnerships are great to get in the game, and get an enormous amount of knowledge. Don't expect, obviously, to be making money first starting out as it certainly takes time.

Horseplayersbet.com
06-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Partnerships are a good way to get new blood into the ownership game. I would go the friends route though. And either claim a horse, buy it at a sale or buy it at arm's length from a seller who is not involved in the partnership at all, unless it is a very good friend or family member where the chances that you are paying a premium are greatly diminished.

It is hard to get an objective price from someone who already owns the horse and is part of the partnership. Human nature is too much of a culprit.

Grits
06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
They're particularly good when the partnership members, in their trust and their excitement, hammer their horses at the windows, though, the horse may be spotted in a race where his/her ability is sorely overmatched.

There's nothing like hearing the knowing partner tell you and all others within earshot-- "He's a monster."

After you've handicapped the race, throughly gone over all entries, throw out the monster.

Get your money right and walk straight to the nearest window.:lol:

Those running larger partnerships today are often living extremely well off those who so desire the winner's circle experience.

One would feel, I think, more trust among a partnership that included one's friends.