PDA

View Full Version : Dave, structure and allignment of the class levels within the class scale of a track

freeneasy
08-07-2003, 05:43 PM
dave, i have your 2002 HorseStreet Pars, and as i mentioned, the only such description i can consider is that these numbers are exceedient in value, indespenceable in their use, immeadiately and overly excellent.

once i've figure out the fomula that will correct the one major error that the bayer's use, and have corrected this into the strongest and most soildified figure that a fomula can produce,
it will be your numbers from your table of par times that will be used in the developement and remaking of this new and "final" beyer speed figure.

right now tho dave i'd like to make you aware of a website for horseracing, and on this site they viseably show for convenient observation, the allignment of each class level that makes up the class scale for the tracks that they handicap. it is very well structured, and i have to go a step further and say, the best that can probably be put out.

but the leveling plane on which a "numerical" rating is issued at each different class leval from the $25,000 mdclm to the G1's, (that is wheather a 25k md. clm. is equal in class to a 10, 12, or $16k open claimer) would be the secondary focus and is not the more spacific item that i would like to bring your attention to.

what i want to bring your attention to here dave, is this, and that is in the way the overall structure in which every class level, (that is within the framework of the class scale for that track), is being laid out and presented.

i think that this layout offers a much wider scope to more completely see and understand the infrastructure of the corellations between different classes that are set within the class scale of that track.
wheather i'am right or wrong i dont know but i think you'll see what i mean if you go there to view.

and i mostly think that, if added to your already excellent table of par times, a layout of this fashion could only add a final touch or two to an already masterful work.

the name of the publication is Todays Racing Digest
they handicap for california tracks only
Jack Brohamer, Toms nephew, is one of the chiefs there, easy guy to talk to, easy guy to like
if you want to go to the site to veiw what it is ive tried to describe here
then
1)type in todaysracingdigest
2)when you get there on the bottom left hand side, click on the word handicapping
3)then in the middle will be a number of choices to click on. click on the one that has the letters RCL for racing class level
4)then you'll be there
you'll see an example for santa anita and bay meadows, you will see how they section off and balence the 2,3,and 4 year olds into there own divisions.
i think this ones intreging and you'll really enjoy it if youve never seen it before

thanks dave

Dave Schwartz
08-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Free,

First, thanks for the compliments. They are appreciated.

Every year that we make pars, they get better. That is the nature of pars (if you work at it).

Looked at the website. The layout is good and much more comprehensive than the class level stuff we do. My hat (if I wore one) would be off to them for this stuff. It is an immense amount of work.

How do they arrive at those numbers? Is it based upon the times of winners or the strength of horses in the race?

It appears to be "times of the winners" with 5 pts per 1/5 of a second.

We did a study about 5 years ago looking at "field strengths" (i.e. the average of the top 4 horses in the race) and were astounded to find huge differences between some of the classes. For example, the difference between MSW and NW1 in SoCal was about 8 lengths as I recall. This was a much larger margin than the actual times of the winners. (This is attributable to the reliability of a class level to run to its strength.)

Nevertheless, this is probably the best way to measure "class" of the race.

You mentioned a Beyer conversion of some type. Is that something I can help you with? If so, email me privately and I'll share with you what I know. (And I have a conversion chart which I built as well. <G>)

Dave

Dave Schwartz
08-07-2003, 07:04 PM
After looking at the chart a little deeper, I can see that their class levels almost exactly match mine. They have Gr1 a level lower, which is probably right, especially considering how SoCal racing is struggling with smaller fields.

Dave

freeneasy
08-08-2003, 12:56 AM
i dont know how you figured that out in the time it took you to go to the site, make an observation and then come up with such a simple formula that developes the type of numerical rating that each class level has been assigned. and your probably right as the description you gave on the makeup of this number makes simple and easy sense.
man i half racked my brain trying to figure out the formula used to come up with this class number and it was right there sterring at me the whole time. just couldnt put the 5 points per 5th of a second together.
and yes i just think i might want to put the finding that i believe i have made concerning the error in which the beyer number is compiled, into somebody elses hands. i mean i just havent been able to put my finger on the fomula that will correct this mistake, as i know the formulations i've compiled have been all around the answer but just not on the answer itself. kinda like having all the right horses in the superfecta with one horse out of place. and i know the answer to the formula itself has to be as easy as the fomula you mentioned that assigns 5 points per 5th of a second class rating. its probably so easy, that i just dont know how to see it. case closed. i got your number in the times table and i'll give you a call, if thats ok.

and thanks for the offer to help dave, it is appreaciated.
rich

Dave Schwartz
08-08-2003, 02:03 AM
RIch,

You're welcome.

Dave