PDA

View Full Version : Tampa no-hit for 3rd time in last 12 months

Valuist
06-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Bizarre performance by Edwin Jackson of the D-backs, walking 8 and throwing 149 pitches. This was the 3rd time in the last year the Rays have been no-hit, as they were perfect gamed by both Mark Buerhle and Dallas Braden.

only11
06-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I worked for the rays as a scout from 2001-2006...Overrated team aside from Carl and Evan the rest are average players..i was on radio 2 months ago when they were playing .750 baseball and said they wouldnt make the playoffs ,,,look at there schedule the first month.Fire Maddon and move the team to Charlotte!

OTM Al
06-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Getting the no-hitter is great. Just hope he didn't destroy his arm doing it. If we see this guy go to the DL in the next month, would anyone be surprised?

Marshall Bennett
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Pitchers have been removed in the past with a no-hitter on the line . Somewhat surprised myself he went the distance in this day and age .

only11
06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Steroid era is over..pitching reclaims the game..

OTM Al
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Steroid era is over..pitching reclaims the game..

I don't think so for two reasons. One, pitchers were doing the stuff just as much as hitters were and two, guys are still doing stuff, just not the stuff you can get caught for.

Everything is cyclical. For so long now teams have been giving special emphasis to developing pitchers. Guys with rocket arms have been kept as pitchers rather than making them right fielders, catchers, or shortstops. What you see now is the fruition of that work that has been going on for years. If it keeps up, we'll start wondering where all the hitters went and then teams will start working extra on their development and it will all switch back again.

Overlay
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
At least the Rays got eight men on base. They're improving.

Reminds me of two stories:

1) A scout called his general manager after seeing a pitching prospect and said, "What an arm! Struck out every batter he faced! No one even hit a foul ball off him until the ninth inning!" The general manager replied, "We have enough pitchers. Sign up the guy who hit the foul."

2) A Philadelphia starting pitcher facing the Yankees in the early 1930's was pulled by Connie Mack and replaced by Roy Mahaffey after the starter had allowed two towering home runs by Lou Gehrig over the right field fence. Instead of letting the starter go to the showers, Mack sat him down on the bench next to him, and told him, "I want you to see the difference when a good pitcher faces Gehrig." The next time Gehrig came up, he hit the first pitch into the left-field stands. The starter turned to Mack and said, "I see what you mean, Mr. Mack. Mahaffey sure made him hit it in a different direction."

OTM Al
06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
This one was an exampe of a guy that was really wild and a very impatient team. You might say how could they be impatient with 8 walks? That's what happens when the pitcher is so wild that some batters simply didn't get pitches that were even close. If this was a disciplined team they should have gotten even more walks and worked this guy over. Instead they didn't take advantage of what they were given and went down hacking away. As good as this team seems on paper, I think the Red Sox (or maybe even a Central team....) gets by them for the wildcard because the do have what is a major flaw.

Valuist
07-02-2010, 08:16 PM
SOME pitchers did steroids. I don't believe it makes one throw any harder. Pedro was about 165 pounds his first few years in the league and Lincecomb is about that also. I think the recovery is where steroids come in. Still think it is far more beneficial to position players than pitchers.