PDA

View Full Version : A look back @ the greatest Mother Goose race

only11
06-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Meadow Star vs Lite Light...best Mother Goose of all time..The race makes my top 10 of all time..
MC HAMMER was the owner of Lite Light and Oaktown Stable..He bet 100,000 to win on her that day..
Meadow Star one of the greatest 2 year old fillies ever was never the same after this race..

Spalding No!
06-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Meadow Star vs Lite Light...best Mother Goose of all time..The race makes my top 10 of all time..
MC HAMMER was the owner of Lite Light and Oaktown Stable..He bet 100,000 to win on her that day..
Meadow Star one of the greatest 2 year old fillies ever was never the same after this race..
Lite Light only lasted one more race herself after that.

I liked the anti-climactic rematches as 4yos, both in the Spinster and the BC Distaff. They ended in a draw with Meadow Star running 3rd in the Spinster to Lite Light's 4th, then reversing the order at the BC with Lite Light 6th and Meadow Star 7th.

FenceBored
06-26-2010, 10:21 AM

efSTvXN98A0

joanied
06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Yep...that stretch runs leaves you breathless...I was rooting for Meadow Star, so was thrilled with the finish. Love Leroy..."the mother of all gooses" :D

Maybe betting 100,000 grand on Lite Light was the start of the Hammer's going bankrupt :eek:

arno
06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Durkin's voice sounded much younger in those days.
Much more high pitched than now.

joanied
06-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Not sure it is Durkin with that call....sounds like Dave Johnson to me.

Spalding No!
06-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Too bad there's no replay of the CCA Oaks. Not only does Lite Light finally get the better of Meadow Star (she was also well behind her in the BC Juvenile Fillies the previous year), but future Grade 1 winner and top producer Shared Interest made her stakes debut in that race (I think while unbeaten in prior starts). She was a well-beaten 4th.

the little guy
06-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Too bad there's no replay of the CCA Oaks. Not only does Lite Light finally get the better of Meadow Star (she was also well behind her in the BC Juvenile Fillies the previous year), but future Grade 1 winner and top producer Shared Interest made her stakes debut in that race (I think while unbeaten in prior starts). She was a well-beaten 4th.

The highlight of that was MC Hammer taking off his shirt in celebration in the crowded owner's boxes section. CBS caught it all, and this is available somewhere on Youtube, and some of the looks from people around him are priceless.

Spalding No!
06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
First Delta Storm is nearly humiliated for $3200 at Stockton...now this?

Spalding No!
06-26-2010, 01:16 PM
The highlight of that was MC Hammer taking off his shirt in celebration in the crowded owner's boxes section. CBS caught it all, and this is available somewhere on Youtube, and some of the looks from people around him are priceless.
Yes. That was great. Shug McGaughey and possibly some of the Phipps clan are in the adjacent box.

Cardus
06-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Wow.

andtheyreoff
06-26-2010, 01:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEwF0mTCIiA

Spalding No!
06-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Much appreciated. I figured it was on there somewhere. Dramatic difference in early pace between the two races, if the raw times are any indication, especially when also considering the added distance of the CCA Oaks.

Tom
06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEwF0mTCIiA

Alright!
You inadvertently took me to one of my favorite races of all time!
The 1981 Whitney, won by Finger Lakes' own Fio Rito.
I can tell you, the grandstand nearly came down during that stretch run.
There wasn't a person left outside while the race was being televised.

Thanks!
4GpKxFk7AH0

PaceAdvantage
06-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Meadow Star one of the greatest 2 year old fillies ever was never the same after this race..Funny. I remember thinking during that time that Meadow Star was one of the more overrated fillies to come down the pike...I loved betting against her...

And I absolutely LOVED a mare named Queena during that time period (she dusted Meadow Star in the Maskette and Ruffian)...one of my favorite "little knowns" of all time...as game as they come as a 5yo...trained by Shug McGaughey, ridden by Cordero and not often given the respect she deserved at the windows, which was fine by me.

tucker6
06-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Alright!
You inadvertently took me to one of my favorite races of all time!
The 1981 Whitney, won by Finger Lakes' own Fio Rito.
I can tell you, the grandstand nearly came down during that stretch run.
There wasn't a person left outside while the race was being televised.

Thanks!
4GpKxFk7AH0
Proves that a horse can break through the gate, and not only NOT break down on the restart, but win the race while on the lead throughout.

toetoe
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
highlight

If by that you mean lowlight, I agree. :) .

eastie
06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Hammer had his whole posse up at Saratoga that year. I'll say this for him, he had style. All his guys were dressed to the hilt in thousand dollar suits. They pushed a lot of money through the windows too. Everyone really got a kick out of it. The old timers liked the fact that he bet on his hoss, and made no bones about it.

sonnyp
06-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Hammer had his whole posse up at Saratoga that year. I'll say this for him, he had style. All his guys were dressed to the hilt in thousand dollar suits. They pushed a lot of money through the windows too. Everyone really got a kick out of it. The old timers liked the fact that he bet on his hoss, and made no bones about it.

the audio on the youtube clip said "hammer" had a $200,000 side bet for charity with ichon.

i remember when they (hammer's group) were with lucas and he was asked about them and their "betting habits" in an interview. he laughed, genuinely entertained, and said they'd bet if the elevator was goin to make it to the top floor if they could.

you know, maybe, that's what horseracing really needs. today when somebody acts like a damon runyon type, riverboat gambler......somebody that would attract some interest.....draw a crowd, the government wants to put them in jail. (unless they happen to be a member of congress)

Jasonm921
06-27-2010, 12:48 AM
It was durkin.

Jasonm921
06-27-2010, 12:52 AM
My photography in horse racing began when I was 12 and the first race I shot was the 1991 Maskette with Queena. The photo was not the best but here ya go. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/3067521261/

the little guy
06-27-2010, 01:01 AM
the audio on the youtube clip said "hammer" had a $200,000 side bet for charity with ichon.

i remember when they (hammer's group) were with lucas and he was asked about them and their "betting habits" in an interview. he laughed, genuinely entertained, and said they'd bet if the elevator was goin to make it to the top floor if they could.

you know, maybe, that's what horseracing really needs. today when somebody acts like a damon runyon type, riverboat gambler......somebody that would attract some interest.....draw a crowd, the government wants to put them in jail. (unless they happen to be a member of congress)

Icahn.....Lukas.

sonnyp
06-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Icahn.....Lukas.

thanks......that's why you're "the little guy" !

by the way..... there's a show on the discovery channel called "myth busters". the guy on it looks a lot like you. are you related ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab2rVT9qgjw

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
My photography in horse racing began when I was 12 and the first race I shot was the 1991 Maskette with Queena. The photo was not the best but here ya go. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/3067521261/Thanks for that!

nijinski
06-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Davona Dale , wins hers by ten . Maybe not the most memorable one with a field of four , but she certainly had deserved the honor of Champion three year old filly in 1979 as well as her Hall of Fame induction which was way overdue..

joanied
06-27-2010, 09:26 AM
My photography in horse racing began when I was 12 and the first race I shot was the 1991 Maskette with Queena. The photo was not the best but here ya go. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/3067521261/

So it was Durkin...coulda fooled me :D

Jason...the pic of Queena is great...then I spent more time looking at your photos...Mike up on Holy Bull, great shot of Krone, Cordero, I kept looking because your photos are some of the very best I've ever seen...you could use them in a coffee table book...you are really an awesome photographer:ThmbUp: I just can't say enough about them...WOW!!

joanied
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Devil May Care ran a great race yesterday... she's one hell of a filly:jump:

Robert Fischer
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
How embarrassing is it that they shortened the race to 8.5 furlongs??

****ing Pathetic.

Stop shortening the few decent sized route races we have!
"we'd really prefer our blue blood fillies not have to be tested..."

lets make 8.5 furlongs the LIMIT for fillies and mares.
NO 9FURLONG RACES ON ANY SURFACE, NO CLASSICS. if they want to run over seas where Mares are WINNING some major races they just get disbarred...

joanied
06-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes, I don't agree with this ridiculous policy of shortening certain big time races...what do they think is wrong with the original distances of these races...at the original distances...I mean, someone is going to win...what's the thinking behind a shorter distance...IMO...dumb and a disservice to racing.

But, as far as Devil May Care...she's one of the best racing now...no doubt. it would be really nice, though, to see races like the Mother Goose with a full field.
I still beleive it's that we have too many places for trainers to run, thus they choose to avoid one and other to the detrement of all.

Robert Fischer
06-27-2010, 12:15 PM
:)

Yes, I don't agree with this ridiculous policy of shortening certain big time races...what do they think is wrong with the original distances of these races...at the original distances...I mean, someone is going to win...what's the thinking behind a shorter distance...IMO...dumb and a disservice to racing.

But, as far as Devil May Care...she's one of the best racing now...no doubt. it would be really nice, though, to see races like the Mother Goose with a full field.
I still beleive it's that we have too many places for trainers to run, thus they choose to avoid one and other to the detrement of all.

She's good. She ran probably one of the 5 best races in the Derby and that is my real opinion, not sarcasm(that may be misconstrued by her eventual placing in the finish order).

beyond the idiots shortening the race in the first place A MILE AND A 1/16TH??:confused::confused:

is 9F too far now too??:blush:

WTF??

8.5f is such an awful, cheap, small-fry distance. WTF is A MILE AND A 1/16TH. "Yes I'd like the Kid's meal, a small fry and and a small soda please, diet pepsi"

well, Its like a "short-route".

unfortunately 8.5Furlongs suffers locker room phobia around 9F and 1Mile&1/4

A MILE&1/16TH:
For Sprinters and Milers that would "like to try 9Furlongs", but just aren't ready for the commitment.

Races like the clement hirsch with Zenyatta partaking going 8.5 are completely disgusting. The Mother Goose adds to it.
I don't care if they have 8.5furlong races for 300K - just don't make them Grade2 or higher. Don't reward the good distance horses for running an in race work-out with a graded stakes, and don't cater to the breeders/owners/trainers/whoever who doesn't like a poor test of distance on the GRADED schedule.

and to be 100%
The DISTANCE of this year's Mother Goose was completely irrelevant. A sound, reasonably fortuitous Devil May Care puts this group away, probably more so at 10 furlongs, or even a more reasonable shortened distance of 9FURLONGS.

:mad: LOL so i'm not a fan of 1&1/16th for horses other than the CHEAP stock.... (other than some graduated late 2yos, or MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT OF ALL AGES), especially not top graded races for top division runners...

ITS PA so someone will probably blast me with how 8.5furlongs is best thing since real pizza-pie

Dahoss9698
06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one that was less than impressed with Devil May Care yesterday?

Spalding No!
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Am I the only one that was less than impressed with Devil May Care yesterday?
I wasn't impressed either. Devil May Care seemed loaded throughout and when the jock asked her, she really had nothing more than what she was already giving. The fact that Connie And Michael snuck her way back into second was a tip-off for me that the race fell apart late.

The pace seemed too fast and the winner was relatively close to it, so perhaps that took the starch out of her finish.

Robert Fischer
06-27-2010, 04:54 PM
She's a beautiful filly and one of the best racehorses at this time.

She made short work of the Mother Goose field in spite of a tough pace,

Wonder if she'll take on the boys again at some point ??

andtheyreoff
06-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Really sharp post.

Dahoss9698
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM

One of the best racehorses at this time? Based on what? Beating 5 and 6 horse fields of overmatched 3 year old fillies?

Spalding No!
06-27-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm not convinced she would have had much response if a strong closer had come at her in the final 1/16th.

It's a real shame Blind Luck wasn't in this race. In that respect, she's got no business running against colts again.

Beauty's got nothing to do with it.

joanied
06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Really sharp post.

Thank you:)

joanied
06-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Agreed...I was a bit surprised they ran those fractions...and she just cruised on by. Didn't look to me like she was asked for much in deep stretch...and if someone had really been a threat, I beleive she would have given more.
I think if they can find a kinda easy spot for her against colts, Pletcher would take a shot...IMO, she ran a very credible Derby, considering field size and conditions that day...but I beleive Pletcher would want to run her in the Alabama at Saratoga.

Cratos
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM

I agree with you

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2010, 06:44 PM
ITS PA so someone will probably blast me with how 8.5furlongs is best thing since real pizza-pieDid you have to go ruining your post with that cheap shot ending?

Maybe if you posted on some other board, everyone would agree with you and life would be grand?!?!?! :lol:

JPinMaryland
06-29-2010, 09:50 PM
hell you flame people all the time..

Jasonm921
06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks Joanied for the kind words. The Queena shot was taken when I was a kid with a point and shoot camera.

Jasonm921
06-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree, Whether Johnny V was asking her or just hand riding her that was the fastest she was going to go. Not impressed.

Market Mover
06-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Funny. I remember thinking during that time that Meadow Star was one of the more overrated fillies to come down the pike...I loved betting against her...

And I absolutely LOVED a mare named Queena during that time period (she dusted Meadow Star in the Maskette and Ruffian)...one of my favorite "little knowns" of all time...as game as they come as a 5yo...trained by Shug McGaughey, ridden by Cordero and not often given the respect she deserved at the windows, which was fine by me.

Queena later went on to sire G1 winner Brahms, who has proven to be a decent sire as of late, when she was bred to Danzig. Queena also sired Indy King, who stood in FL and IN (and is the sire of 2010 TC competitor Pleasant Prince)...stud fee was 1k?

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2010, 03:49 AM
hell you flame people all the time..Really? How so? Your definition of flaming must be different than mine. Or did I just flame you too? :lol: