PDA

View Full Version : How's This for an ROI...

Observer
08-07-2003, 04:35 PM
The top priced colt at the 2000 Keeneland yearling sale, bought for $3.3 million, has been sent, unraced, to the breeding shed and will be commanding a top dollar stud fee of $3,000 ... in Texas.
:eek:

$3.3M Yearling=$3k Stud (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=36396&subsec=6)

freeneasy
08-07-2003, 06:11 PM
you must of left off a couple of zero's here cause at 3,000 bucks a throw its going to be a while before anybody sees a profit there, maybe theres some kind of a tax writeoff buried in here somewhere.
or the only other thing that would make sense here is that for such a low stud fee they'd have to be getting a piece of the profit of every foal a coverd mare turns out.
hell if i know

WINMANWIN
08-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Funny that I read that the padua stable spent a FORTUNE on
that yearling yrs ago, and now the steed will go to the breeding shed. When Vindication was doing well, I sent a kind e-mail and wished them luck. They sent me a nice response and told me to watch some of there 2 yr olds in the coming mths. Well, I heard
they spent over 2 million on the sales topper at the TOGA sales yesterday, and noticed that they had 1 entered today in the last Race, A 1st time starter that cost a measely 200k:rolleyes:
I remember the horse had some problems earlier in the year,
and liked her workouts recently.The Fillys name is FLAWLESS DIAMOND, anyway, I am hoping for 3 to 1 on this pletcher steed today, cause Pletcher is winning races daily and I didn't know what to expect. The filly opened at 6 to 1 and WON FOR FUN at 6 to 1, Broke next to last and Velasquez RUSHED HER UP, and she Drew off Nicely. I had a feeling, they had this race in mind for this filly, with the Padua folks in the Paddock and them spending over 2 million on the toga sales topper ;) The dastardly thing about racing was when Jan Rushton went over the 1sters in the race,
and said Pletcher thinks she will need more ground today and will need 1....:eek: YEA Right Todd,,,,GLAD I didn't take your word for it pal, Thank you Padua stables, and tks to Dallas Steward for running a Nice 2nd to complete a Nice Exacta !!!! :cool:

Observer
08-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by freeneasy
you must of left off a couple of zero's ...

Nope, $3.3M yearling of 2000 went unraced and will be standing in Texas for $3k. Check out the link I left on the original post.

You gotta figure it'd be difficult to get any kind of significant stud fee for a horse that went unraced .. heck, $3k sounds kinda high when you think about some of the Kentucky stallions that stand for $5k .. like Fit to Fight .. and Alysheba, before he got shipped off to Saudi Arabia.

freeneasy
08-08-2003, 03:33 PM
and there wadnt much there to get a bearing on why they never raced him. to buy a horse for 3 mil, never race him, then stand him for 3 grand doesnt make a lot of sense. you cant expect that $3000 stud fee to last if the horse doesnt turn out some worthwhile winners so a breakeven could be that much further in the waiting. he's not going to get any top mares. so to pay 3 mil. for a horse then to take a gamble like this at stud without ever racing the horse doesnt make to much sense. maybe they got a crystal ball

Observer
08-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Plenty of million-dollar babies have gone unraced. And, though I can't recall the specifics .. there was a record-breaking yearling that sold when the market surged in the 80s .. and that horse, if I'm recalling correctly, never made it to the races .. and he was a multi-million dollar baby, too.

Hey, what's crazy is spending so much money on a horse that hasn't even been to a track yet .. that's the gamble. And in a case like this .. there's no way of recovering their losses .. unless there is some kind of tax write-off.

freeneasy
08-09-2003, 08:40 PM
unless he turns out some serious winners theres not going to be a profit a stud. they either seen something after he was bought that said this horse cant race or they tried him, and gave up after enough works said "never mind"

freeneasy
08-09-2003, 08:54 PM
but you never know, maybe they think all the owners will be beating down there door to get to a $3,000,000 horse for the low, low introductory offer of only $3,000.