PDA

View Full Version : Which tracks pay $2.20 show minimum?

horses4courses
06-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Trying to follow the tracks where the bridgejumpers bet, I know that both
Mountaineer and Suffolk pay a minimum $2.20 to show.

Are there any other tracks that do this?

sonnyp
06-25-2010, 08:48 PM
prairie meadows

horses4courses
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
prairie meadows

Thanks

Ian Meyers
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Trying to follow the tracks where the bridgejumpers bet, I know that both
Mountaineer and Suffolk pay a minimum $2.20 to show.

Are there any other tracks that do this?

Charles Town and Arapahoe as well. Oaklawn did but changed the payout 2 years ago.

horses4courses
06-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Charles Town and Arapahoe as well. Oaklawn did but changed the payout 2 years ago.

Much obliged!

That's 5 tracks and counting........any harness?

lurker
06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I believe it is state law in Rhode Island and Mass. that the minimim payout for show wagers is $2.20.

xfile
06-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Let me get that for you = http://tinyurl.com/3ayv2wt
With the exception of the top rank (this post) might help

Canadian
07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
The followup question is. Over time do tracks make money off bridge jumpers?

horses4courses
07-12-2010, 02:41 PM
The followup question is. Over time do tracks make money off bridge jumpers?

Sure they do.

Everyone that takes their action, or bets against them, gets some of the bridgejumpers' money eventually.
Only those BJs that pick their spots incredibly well, or quit while they're ahead, make any money betting like that. Doesn't happen much.

I know a former racebook manager at a large outfit in LV who booked 6-figure show bets from various BJs in the 90s. Nevada pari-mutuel would not have been too pleased about it, but it was so profitable for the house that it was a no-brainer for them.

It's a real trip betting against those guys......profitable too. ;)

Canadian
07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Sure they do.

Everyone that takes their action, or bets against them, gets some of the bridgejumpers' money eventually.
Only those BJs that pick their spots incredibly well, or quit while they're ahead, make any money betting like that. Doesn't happen much.

I know a former racebook manager at a large outfit in LV who booked 6-figure show bets from various BJs in the 90s. Nevada pari-mutuel would not have been too pleased about it, but it was so profitable for the house that it was a no-brainer for them.

It's a real trip betting against those guys......profitable too. ;)

A funny story.

I bridge jumped once in my life. And when I say bridge jumped I mean a very small bridge. $100 show on a small harness pool. $100 was a big sum for me back then...as I was a broke student. I was losing the whole night and was about to pull my hair out. And bad beats too. I think I bet 3 breakers in a row at one point. Nothing was going right. All ready way over my budget, I said screw it.... I just wanted to hit a ticket, that's it. So I bet the most sure winner I think I ever seen. Post 1 on a small harness track, 1-9 odds. 100 to show. Well, you know the rest.

The race started and into the first turn, my horses bike splits in half and the driver fell in between the shafts. All I could do was put my head on the table and laugh.... KD for me for a month.

horses4courses
07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
A funny story.

I bridge jumped once in my life. And when I say bridge jumped I mean a very small bridge. $100 show on a small harness pool. $100 was a big sum for me back then...as I was a broke student. I was losing the whole night and was about to pull my hair out. And bad beats too. I think I bet 3 breakers in a row at one point. Nothing was going right. All ready way over my budget, I said screw it.... I just wanted to hit a ticket, that's it. So I bet the most sure winner I think I ever seen. Post 1 on a small harness track, 1-9 odds. 100 to show. Well, you know the rest.

The race started and into the first turn, my horses bike splits in half and the driver fell in between the shafts. All I could do was put my head on the table and laugh.... KD for me for a month.

Funny how that goes....when you load up on a race, bad things happen.

Most horseplayers have stories like that.
Mine involved a bad beat for the worst of reasons.

In Nevada, some books offer house quinellas.
The house books the bet, and pays the win payoff, times half the place payoff of the runner-up.

I had had a good run leading up to the 1990 Breeders' Cup.
Was betting with over a $1K bankroll in increments of $20, which was decent for a small player like me.

Then along came the BC Distaff that year.
Bayakoa and Go For Wand were such a lock to finish 1-2, that I was tempted
to bet my entire bankroll on the quinella. I would be a cinch to double up.
I settled for $500, which was my biggest bet ever.

The two fillies drew off by the quarter pole, and the rest is history.
Was I upset at losing? No.
Watching that game Go For Wand give her all, and to lose her life so tragically, was all that mattered. My stomach still churns at the thought.

Overload on a wager, though, and bad things can happen.

point given
07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Funny how that goes....when you load up on a race, bad things happen.

Most horseplayers have stories like that.
Mine involved a bad beat for the worst of reasons.

In Nevada, some books offer house quinellas.
The house books the bet, and pays the win payoff, times half the place payoff of the runner-up.

I had had a good run leading up to the 1990 Breeders' Cup.
Was betting with over a $1K bankroll in increments of $20, which was decent for a small player like me.

Then along came the BC Distaff that year.
Bayakoa and Go For Wand were such a lock to finish 1-2, that I was tempted
to bet my entire bankroll on the quinella. I would be a cinch to double up.
I settled for $500, which was my biggest bet ever.

The two fillies drew off by the quarter pole, and the rest is history.
Was I upset at losing? No.
Watching that game Go For Wand give her all, and to lose her life so tragically, was all that mattered. My stomach still churns at the thought.

Overload on a wager, though, and bad things can happen.

Whenever i spread in p3/4 wagers i tend to be tryinng to buy the wager and i miss something because i didnot have a strong opinion on a race or races. Some of my biggest scores have come from small bets. Overload and get dumped on.

BlueShoe
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Whenever i spread in p3/4 wagers i tend to be tryinng to buy the wager and i miss something because i didnot have a strong opinion on a race or races. Some of my biggest scores have come from small bets. Overload and get dumped on.
With you on this one. When playing a pik 3 or 4, in a leg that has a large field would much rather have a single that I felt very strongly about than to have spread the race and used 4, 5, or 6 runners. If I have to spread the race it means that I really dont know and am guessing. Guessing rarely gets the money in this game.