PDA

View Full Version : Shot down in flames........

Hanover1
06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Congress votes against additional funding to states for unemployment extentions, delivering a blow to one of the platforms the administration stands on. Governors claim thousands will lose jobs at city/county/state levels as a result of efforts to balance budgets, some of these monies coming from this bill. Hey, the deficit is already HUGE, so on one hand, logical vote. A Quagmire perhaps??? News reporting of late suggest 20,000 a week nationwide will be without relief of any sort at present, until.if a solution for these people is found, i.e. a job....where is the relief here? Looks like nice political posturing by Republicans, but these people have memories, even if next round of lower level elections say otherwise. Quite a mess imo.......

boxcar
06-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Congress votes against additional funding to states for unemployment extentions, delivering a blow to one of the platforms the administration stands on. Governors claim thousands will lose jobs at city/county/state levels as a result of efforts to balance budgets, some of these monies coming from this bill. Hey, the deficit is already HUGE, so on one hand, logical vote. A Quagmire perhaps??? News reporting of late suggest 20,000 a week nationwide will be without relief of any sort at present, until.if a solution for these people is found, i.e. a job....where is the relief here? Looks like nice political posturing by Republicans, but these people have memories, even if next round of lower level elections say otherwise. Quite a mess imo.......

The primary reason Repugs voted against the bill was due to tax hikes in the bils, which they think (and rightfully so) are not good during a recession.

Moreover, should unemployment benefits be extended indefinitely? (Where are all these great jobs BO promised? :rolleyes: )

And another thing...BO once talked about "shared sacrifices", didn't he? It's high time that the public sector start feeling the pain of the "peons" who work in that eeeevil private sector. The public sector needs to share in the private sector's sacrifices. It's only fair. Public employees aren't prima donnas, despite the high opinions they hold of themselves.

Boxcar

newtothegame
06-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Not too mention, I see the public sector as children. What I mean by that is as long as there are "bailouts" in the form of subsidizing etc etc, they will NEVER begin to fix some of the problems that IMHO will begin to fix this country. Unlimited spending can NOT continue.
Will there be pain in the form of unemployment? YES
Housing markets? YES
The list goes on and on....but its the only way I see going forward.
We can not avoid huge cuts somewhere in the U.S budgets as well as state budgets.
Those money trees stopped growing somehow (as my parents said they would) once I entered the job market!!!

MONEY
06-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Here in Houston, I know a few people that lost there jobs a while ago. None of them have looked for work since they began collecting unemployment.

Why?

Because their unemployment benefits coupled with the other handouts that they are now eligible to collect, add up to more than they earned while working.

There is no shortage of jobs in Houston. Everywhere I go I see help wanted signs.

Metro bus, Corrections, Home Depot, Walmart, all of the hospitals & schools need workers.

There is no reason, except for laziness for any healthy person in this area to be out of work.

money

Robert Goren
06-25-2010, 11:03 AM
We have the signs here too. The same signs in the same places as they were 3 years ago when I was looking for a job. I must filled out 200 apps and sent another 300 resumes. I only got 2 interviews and no job. I know several people today who are the same boat. If you are over 30, no place will even look at you unless you know someone who already works there. It always looks like there are lots of jobs until you need one. I could not even get a convenience store to give me a interview as part clerk.

Hanover1
06-25-2010, 12:51 PM
We have the signs here too. The same signs in the same places as they were 3 years ago when I was looking for a job. I must filled out 200 apps and sent another 300 resumes. I only got 2 interviews and no job. I know several people today who are the same boat. If you are over 30, no place will even look at you unless you know someone who already works there. It always looks like there are lots of jobs until you need one. I could not even get a convenience store to give me a interview as part clerk.

Sister out of work, in what was once a lucrative field...(real estate legal). No call backs, no interviews, not accepting applications, ect, ect...same story for many in this state. Explain how you look for work that is not there? Signs are also up for jobs, but they ARE old, and usually cover hight turnover situations. Taking a minimum wage job to feed a family, and survive, is futile and demoralizing, causing many to give up. That is, if you can even find your way to the top of the stack of applicants, all of wich are overqualified......

boxcar
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Sister out of work, in what was once a lucrative field...(real estate legal). No call backs, no interviews, not accepting applications, ect, ect...same story for many in this state. Explain how you look for work that is not there? Signs are also up for jobs, but they ARE old, and usually cover hight turnover situations. Taking a minimum wage job to feed a family, and survive, is futile and demoralizing, causing many to give up. That is, if you can even find your way to the top of the stack of applicants, all of wich are overqualified......

But living on the public dole is demoralizing? Living on public assistance isn't a self-esteem killer? Yet, all libs want to do is perpetuate this kind of situation so that a large number of people in this sad, unfortunate predicament will be so demoralized that they'll become addicted to handouts by the government. It's the fast, easy and expedient way to survive.

Boxcar

lamboguy
06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
when ford was president, i had a job working in a meat market in the summertime catching cryovac. the meat market closed before the end of the summer and i was only working a summer job then. i went for unemployment and recieved $212 a week for about 9 months. i went to the unemployment offcie and the lady told my to go to the back of the room and fill out form number Q2144 and fill it out and bring it back, i did and she gave me an extension. 6 months later i went back to the office and the lady told me that my benefits ran out again but go and fill out form Q2262. i did brought it back and got another 6 months. i did that again 2 more times. i went back tot he same lady and she told me that my benefits ran out.i asked what do i do, she told me fill out form Qjob. i asked her what was that, she told me it means its time for you to get a J_O_B

Hanover1
06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
But living on the public dole is demoralizing? Living on public assistance isn't a self-esteem killer? Yet, all libs want to do is perpetuate this kind of situation so that a large number of people in this sad, unfortunate predicament will be so demoralized that they'll become addicted to handouts by the government. It's the fast, easy and expedient way to survive.

Boxcar

This quote fails to include the multitudes of those who are willing and able to work, yet cannot....using this thread to prop up a political stance is one thing-addressing a specific issue seems to be another.

RaceBookJoe
06-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Not to stir up a hornet's nest, but maybe IF the givt had any money, instead of extending unemployment they could use that money to hire and train people to be border patrol agents and to help build a fence along the mexico border. Instant job creation and tax inflow. Yeah most people would have to relocate, but you do what you have to do. rbj