PDA

View Full Version : Technical Tip for those using Media Player 6.4 on Win95...

MikeH
08-06-2003, 09:54 PM
My Win 98 machine froze one day when downloading an update from the Microsoft site. When I rebooted, somehow Microsoft had managed to ruin my Dialup connection, and I can't connect to the internet on it. Both of my ISP's say to re-install Windows, and that's not going to happen, because it has all my clients' file (and lots of specialty software) on it.

So I went back to my Win95 machine for surfing. No big deal... there's actually no noticeable difference in speed!

However, you are forced to use Media Player 6.4, because Monopolsoft doesn't offer anything newer for a Win95 machine. I have been unable to get sound using this configuration.

I found a site that lets you install Media Player 7.1 on a 95 machine. (There's also an "untested" method for Windows NT.) The streams from EBet work fine (with sound). Americatab is unfortunately in bed with Monopolsoft, and all you get is sound from them (no video), even with a 56k, V92 modem.

Here's the link:

http://www.pppr.sk/rainbow/wmp71w95.html

JustRalph
08-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Anybody on this board is not aware of it........

Letting an automated Microsoft Update occurr while connected using Dialup is a recipe for Disaster. FYI Just about anything you need can be downloaded from somewhere...........
download whatever it is and run it locally.