PDA

View Full Version : California Horse Racing Saved By Wealthy Lunatic - Los Angeles News

andymays
06-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Sports

California Horse Racing Saved By Wealthy Lunatic

By Gene Maddaus, Tuesday, Jun. 22 2010 @ 2:25PM
Comments (1)
Categories: Sports

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/sports/frank-stronach-santa-anita-oak/

Excerpt:

Frank Stronach has been a well-known lunatic in the horse racing industry for many years. But today he added considerably to that reputation with his erratic performance before the California Horse Racing Board.

In the space of 20 minutes, the Austrian-born racetrack owner said he would not host the Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita this fall, then changed his mind and offered to host the meet after all. Racing saved! Stronach crazier than ever!

andymays
06-23-2010, 07:45 AM
For the record the thread title is the real title of the article.

In my opinion the author of the article is spot on.

Grits
06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/114106.html

andymays
06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/22/oak-tree-stays-planted-in-arcadia/

Excerpt:

It was, as expected, a twisty, tumultuous, convoluted and sometimes confusing four-hour session, nearly half of which was spent with Santa Anita owner Frank Stronach at the lectern engaging and being engaged in sometimes heated verbal jousts with Chairman Keith Brackpool and other commissioners.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100622/BUSINESS/6220366/1003/Stronach+lets+Oak+Tree+run+this+year+at+Santa+Anit a

Excerpt:

Stronach repeatedly pushed for deregulation of racing dates - saying the free market should control when tracks can run, not states. At least one board member was sympathetic, but several said that a change like that would require an overhaul of California racing that would be difficult to push through the legislature.

Excerpt:

Vice Chairman David Israel questioned how Stronach could argue for allowing free enterprise to determine when tracks should run when free enterprise led Magna Entertainment to bankruptcy. Stronach blamed regulations in place for hamstringing his operations.

Commissioners Bo Derek, the actor, and Jerry Moss, owner of the champion older female Zenyatta and 2005 Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo, both questioned Stronach about his impact on the Breeders' Cup's site selection.
"I know that you say you want to save California racing and you're very concerned," Derek said. "I'm very concerned that you drove away Breeders' Cup and I find that so detrimental to California racing."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Bizarre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxFc1k-2wA

joanied
06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
andy...did you see this paragraph from the DRf article?

"In addition, Stronach said that Santa Anita will not change its Pro-Ride synthetic main track until next spring at the earliest and identified as a possible replacement a silica sand-based material used at equestrian centers in Europe. Stronach did not identify the new surface by name and said a silica sand-based track would be installed at MID's Palm Meadows training center in Florida this fall, where it could be scrutinized by trainers and jockeys when the training center is operational next winter."

Fast Frank kinda explains what this surface is:

"He said the potential replacement surface would be tested at Palm Meadows in heat and rain. The surface consists largely of silica sand, with cloth fibers mixed into the surface, and has been used at equestrian centers in Spain and in Austria, he said.

The new surface would not be ready for either the Oak Tree meeting in September or the traditional winter-spring meeting at Santa Anita that opens on Dec. 26.

"That gives us time to hold the discussions properly and get the testimonials from jockeys and trainers," he said. "It's basically got pipes underneath, a liner, and you have a filter and silica sand. You have new nylon, about an inch square. It's no oils. I believe it's the best surface for horses."

Guess we'll have to wait another year, more or less, for a new surface...and, guess it ain't gonna be dirt afterall...unless the trainers/jocks at Palm meadows hate this new surface...
at any rate, too bad about another delay...but it'll be interesting to see how the folks at Palm Meadows like this new surface....and meantime, we can forget about many dirt horses shipping to SA to race :faint:

andymays
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
andy...did you see this paragraph from the DRf article?

"In addition, Stronach said that Santa Anita will not change its Pro-Ride synthetic main track until next spring at the earliest and identified as a possible replacement a silica sand-based material used at equestrian centers in Europe. Stronach did not identify the new surface by name and said a silica sand-based track would be installed at MID's Palm Meadows training center in Florida this fall, where it could be scrutinized by trainers and jockeys when the training center is operational next winter."

Fast Frank kinda explains what this surface is:

"He said the potential replacement surface would be tested at Palm Meadows in heat and rain. The surface consists largely of silica sand, with cloth fibers mixed into the surface, and has been used at equestrian centers in Spain and in Austria, he said.

The new surface would not be ready for either the Oak Tree meeting in September or the traditional winter-spring meeting at Santa Anita that opens on Dec. 26.

"That gives us time to hold the discussions properly and get the testimonials from jockeys and trainers," he said. "It's basically got pipes underneath, a liner, and you have a filter and silica sand. You have new nylon, about an inch square. It's no oils. I believe it's the best surface for horses."

Guess we'll have to wait another year, more or less, for a new surface...and, guess it ain't gonna be dirt afterall...unless the trainers/jocks at Palm meadows hate this new surface...
at any rate, too bad about another delay...but it'll be interesting to see how the folks at Palm Meadows like this new surface....and meantime, we can forget about many dirt horses shipping to SA to race :faint:

That's why I posted this song. It's appropriate. And it's kind of catchy. Don't you think? ;)

YouTube - OMC - How Bizarre

One of the lines is "Oooh Baby it's making me crazy! How Bizarre!"

I've played it about 30 times since yesterday. :D

andymays
06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
This is Stronachs right hand man 6 days ago. Does this make sense?
I really think Frank just wings it at any given moment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/06/get-ready-for-an-off-track-horse-racing-showdown-at-hollywood-park.html

Excerpt:

As for Santa Anita's surface, track President George Haines said MI Developments has sent representatives to Argentina and Spain to look at dirt tracks. Santa Anita currently has a synthetic surface.
"It's going to be a dirt track," Haines said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given what transpired yesterday one would have to conclude that Frank isn't all there and even his closest advisors don't know what he's gonna say from moment to moment.

How Bizarre

andymays
06-23-2010, 11:15 AM
PAULICK REPORT FORUM brought to you by Breeders’ Cup: A FRANK DISCUSSION WITH MYSELF

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/paulick-report-forum-brought-to-you-by-breeders-cup-a-frank-discussion-with-myself/

Excerpt:

Since the entire episode was described to me by one witness as an “out of body experience,” the following interview with Ray Paulick about the CHRB meeting was conducted by Ray Paulick. After all, only a crazy person talks to himself, and Tuesday’s meeting could make just about anyone crazy.

I think Frank Stronach was carried out of the meeting like a hero on the shoulders of the CHRB and Oak Tree board members. Reminded me of that picture of Vince Lombardi on the cover of Sports Illustrated after the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl.

So everyone’s happy?

Not really. In truth, some Oak Tree board members wanted to move their meeting to Hollywood Park this year. And Bo Derek was pretty POed over the Breeders’ Cup ditching plans to name Oak Tree at Santa Anita as the host site for five years, from 2011-15. The event generates about $60 million a year for the local and California economy; $60 million here, $60 million there, pretty soon you’re talking about real money.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Bizarre

Bruddah
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Holly Weird racing validates its' name.

Can we just get away from all the Euro trash answers for a racing surface. What the Hell is wrong with good old American dirt. For Gosh sakes I've never heard of such Bull Sh*t in all my life.

Now we are going to try European sand with pieces of Frank Stronach's old suits cut up and scattered through out. Sh*t Frank just give your old Armani suits to the Salvation Army. :mad:

andymays
06-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Can we just get away from all the Euro trash answers for a racing surface. What the Hell is wrong with good old American dirt. For Gosh sakes I've never heard of such Bull Sh*t in all my life.

Now we are going to try European sand with pieces of Frank Stronach's old suits cut up and scattered through out. Sh*t Frank just give your old Armani suits to the Salvation Army. :mad:

He's meeting with Horsemen this morning. He might say something totally different in this meeting. The articles about the meeting should be up in a few hours.

joanied
06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
How bizarre is right... what's it gonna be...dirt, silica, Fast Frank's suits, maybe lay down some shag carpet :eek: ...geeze :bang:
Makes one wonder if Frank isn't smoking some of this stuff :D as Vic S said...."this is un-be-lievable"...

andy, maybe you could post a link to the meeting they have this morning with the horsemen...that should be good !!

kenwoodall2
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I look for cionsiistency in racing. The only thing consistent about what FS and his people say is thst he took the money promised for the SA backside and spent it at GP (where they got slots). He has takes hunderdsa of millions out of MEC. his dirt/ non dirt is well known, sold by an English company. FS and his people need to get on the same page and stay there or it is chaos ihis entities as well as chaos in Ca racing generally.
CHRB told me as far as post time Los alamityos has priority. DOn't know about dates but no track owner will be allowed to name their own dates. Remember concerning CARF items, California Government owns the tracks at the county fairs, More turf control wars. This meeting was all about control; of turf lierally and figuratively and throwing around blamr for decline in a racing. And no mention of bettors.

BombsAway Bob
06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I look for cionsiistency in racing. The only thing consistent about what FS and his people say is thst he took the money promised for the SA backside and spent it at GP (where they got slots). He has takes hunderdsa of millions out of MEC. his dirt/ non dirt is well known, sold by an English company. FS and his people need to get on the same page and stay there or it is chaos ihis entities as well as chaos in Ca racing generally.
CHRB told me as far as post time Los alamityos has priority. DOn't know about dates but no track owner will be allowed to name their own dates. Remember concerning CARF items, California Government owns the tracks at the county fairs, More turf control wars. This meeting was all about control; of turf lierally and figuratively and throwing around blamr for decline in a racing. And no mention of bettors.
Sure there was... Frank is going to turn the sport around with Pick-6 Quinellas & Quad-Quadfectas... "JACKPOT SCORES", that's all the bettors want..
(P.S.~ ignore the 30% takeout included,& just keep sending it in..Why do you bettors care what the racing surface will be..you're not running on it!-F.S.):faint:

JustRalph
06-23-2010, 01:10 PM
I won't be betting Oak Tree

I won't be betting anything at Santa Anita until it has real dirt

kenwoodall2
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Sure there was... Frank is going to turn the sport around with Pick-6 Quinellas & Quad-Quadfectas... "JACKPOT SCORES", that's all the bettors want..
(P.S.~ ignore the 30% takeout included,& just keep sending it in..Why do you bettors care what the racing surface will be..you're not running on it!-F.S.):faint:

Stronach's Plubber=
ProWax | Andrews Bowen Ltd This, combined with two grades of multi-washed silica sand, elastic. ... Manufactureres & installers of synthetic surfaces for arenas, gallops and racetracks ... Goeff Billington at Northern Ireland International Horse Show 2007 ... Carmo - Our Agents in Spain and Portugal. carmo_logo. Web site: www.carmo.com ...
andrewsbowen.co.uk/?page_id=10 - Cached - Similar
Show more results from andrewsbowen.co.uk

andymays
06-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Stronach's Plubber=
ProWax | Andrews Bowen Ltd This, combined with two grades of multi-washed silica sand, elastic. ... Manufactureres & installers of synthetic surfaces for arenas, gallops and racetracks ... Goeff Billington at Northern Ireland International Horse Show 2007 ... Carmo - Our Agents in Spain and Portugal. carmo_logo. Web site: www.carmo.com ...
andrewsbowen.co.uk/?page_id=10 - Cached - Similar
Show more results from andrewsbowen.co.uk

Are you sure this is the right company?

This is where the surface he looked at was installed.

Dos Lunas Dressage and Polo center in Spain.

andymays
06-23-2010, 04:39 PM
So now it looks like that after this Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita is over Mr. Stronach will lose those dates permanently.

This guy is an absolute genius. NOT! :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oak Tree eyes Del Mar meet in 2011

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114120.html

Excerpt:

"Mr. Stronach does not want us there in the future," Barr said. "We don't have any hope we will be there beyond 2010. We can concentrate going to Del Mar and working out an agreement with them."

Del Mar president Craig Fravel said that his track, and the county fairgrounds on which it is located, would like to host a fall Oak Tree meeting in 2011.
"Both the fair grounds and us have said we're interested in doing this," Fravel said Wednesday.

FenceBored
06-23-2010, 04:49 PM
So now it looks like that after this Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita is over Mr. Stronach will lose those dates permanently.

This guy is an absolute genius. NOT! :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oak Tree eyes Del Mar meet in 2011

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114120.html

Excerpt:

"Mr. Stronach does not want us there in the future," Barr said. "We don't have any hope we will be there beyond 2010. We can concentrate going to Del Mar and working out an agreement with them."

Del Mar president Craig Fravel said that his track, and the county fairgrounds on which it is located, would like to host a fall Oak Tree meeting in 2011.
"Both the fair grounds and us have said we're interested in doing this," Fravel said Wednesday.

Little do they realize what Frank and Arnold are talking about behind the scenes ... :eek:

andymays
06-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Little do they realize what Frank and Arnold are talking about behind the scenes ... :eek:

This is a real bad nightmare for everyone who gives a crap about racing in California.

I don't know of anyone who could communicate effectively with this guy.

kenwoodall2
06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you sure this is the right company?

This is where the surface he looked at was installed.

Dos Lunas Dressage and Polo center in Spain.
"http://www.horsesdaily.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1905:ecotrack-arenas-are-the-big-winners-at-hamburg&Itemid=1802" THis company say areans in Vienna and Portugal use their ECOTRACK; both theirs and the other seem similar and FS can save $$$ by not re-doing to whole thing? Will he try another fix-up?

andymays
06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
"http://www.horsesdaily.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1905:ecotrack-arenas-are-the-big-winners-at-hamburg&Itemid=1802" THis company say areans in Vienna and Portugal use their ECOTRACK; both theirs and the other seem similar and FS can save $$$ by not re-doing to whole thing? Will he try another fix-up?

I'm a little confused by your comments. The track you're describing doesn't sound like the one Stronach has described in the past.

Do you know for sure that the one you're referring to is the right one?

andymays
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Just got an email from someone that was at the Stronach meeting with Horsemen.

He said "more of the same" from yesterday.

Most of the people on the ground are not very optimistic about the future under Stronach.

castaway01
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I saw the thread title about the wealthy lunatic, I figured AndyMays had saved California racing singlehandedly. :)

andymays
06-23-2010, 08:17 PM
I saw the thread title about the wealthy lunatic, I figured AndyMays had saved California racing singlehandedly. :)

I only wish I were a wealthy lunatic.

Just kidding I wouldn't take all the money in the world to be in Franks shoes.

kenwoodall2
06-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm a little confused by your comments. The track you're describing doesn't sound like the one Stronach has described in the past.

Do you know for sure that the one you're referring to is the right one?
No. I'm not sure- but both Prowaxand Ecotrack sound very similar in composition. Stronach as usual is just looking for the cheapest way to patch things up on the tracks. Playing musical execs and shell games with the money is not helping. He is wavering on track composition and on Oak Tree, want some kind of complicated bet I cannot pronounce. wants to name his dates, and in his charter thinks the Ca horse owners will side with him on de-regulating. He and the board are making TBred racing operations more complicated and adversarial in Ca because they do not knoiw how to remake Ca racing to increase handle, draw more interest from the public, or retain quality horses by simple, inexpensive methods and are afraid to make any changes by major decisions.. And neither party wants to make ma

Spalding No!
06-23-2010, 10:41 PM
This is a real bad nightmare for everyone who gives a crap about racing in California.

I don't know of anyone who could communicate effectively with this guy.
Does Frank Stronach think that once Oak Tree signs on with another track that he will able to run races at Santa Anita concurrent with their meet elsewhere?

andymays
06-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Does Frank Stronach think that once Oak Tree signs on with another track that he will able to run races at Santa Anita concurrent with their meet elsewhere?

He thinks he's gonna force them to give him those dates because they won't be able to race anywhere else. Del Mar seems determined to get the dates. That time of year you have some weather issues with fog and other things because it real close to the ocean.

After the meeting yesterday I think they've all had enough of Stronach and will do almost anything to try and screw him if they can.

Listen to the portion of the meeting where he talks. It goes on for about an hour.

Frank comes on about halfway through. You will recognize his voice.

June 22, 2010: http://www.selectstreaming.com/archive/chrb/100622.asx

You will find it hard to believe that these people are adults let alone running racing in the state of California.

westny
06-23-2010, 11:23 PM

The franchises on this fake dirt junk is owned by a principal owner of Keeneland ...Proride (or the other surface)...Dickinsen owns the Tapeta trademrk, and a third owner in racing owns the other surface franchise. That is the reason fake dirt is pushed.

BombsAway Bob
06-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Isn't there a fear that running more dates @ Del Mar will hurt their July-Labor Day meet?

kenwoodall2
06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
He thinks without OT he will be the track owner and meet operator, as his charter says, working directly with connections without interference from associations and the Govt, Sort of like free enterprise, non-union workers, no rules. "http://www.racingfuture.com/horse_racing_charter_of_rights.html" This is his "cnarter" which he did not share at the CHRB meeting. This reads like a central themed idea on how he and the connections can run racing in Ca.

andymays
06-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Stronach hopes to "fine tune" a deal with Caruso for Shops project in Arcadia

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_15361912

Excerpt:

But Mayor Peter Amundson was less sanguine.

Although there was a legal change in the track's ownership between MEC and MID, Stronach remains in control of both companies, he said.

"I thought he entered into deals that worked for him before, and I'm really kind of disappointed that he feels they no longer work for him," he said.

Read more:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_15361912#ixzz0rntQPFzZ

elhelmete
06-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I've believed all along that Caruso is Stronach's ace in the hole. Somehow, I think Frank expects some combination of Caruso/Arcadia/BC/Schwarzenegger to bail out this mess, primarily dates and surface. However, it seems to be being handled far too casually and sloppily so far.

andymays
06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
CHRB meeting not quite just business as usual

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114142.html

Excerpt:

This is just a guess, but at the very least it is likely commissioners Jerry Moss (A&M Records) and John Harris (Harris Farms) have some grasp of the marketplace. Racing board vice chairman David Israel, who also serves on the Los Angeles Coliseum Commission, offered Stronach a fairly obvious follow-up:

"How do you reconcile your fervent belief . . . in the free enterprise system with your apparent affection for bankruptcy laws that protected MEC for actually bearing the results of what free enterprise did?" Israel asked. "MEC failed."

"MEC didn't fail," Stronach shot back. "I underestimated the rules and regulations, the inflexibility of the bureaucrats and the commission to bring forward changes. It was the fault of outside forces, of authorities, regulatory authorities not stopping the flow of huge amounts of money [in offshore betting] to the islands. With the regulations, we are in chains."

Israel, a former sportswriter, countered with a real-world analogy:

"I don't see a racetrack as a 'store,' " the commissioner said. "To me. It's a public trust. There are very few of them. They're very expensive to build. And essentially it is its own geographically centralized sports league. You're the NFL, you're Major League Baseball, you're the NHL. The track is the league. The owners of the horses are the team owners. The trainers are the managers, and the jockeys are the players, and so are the horses. And all of our American sports leagues . . . they're not for profit -- the league itself isn't an entity trying to achieve profit."

andymays
06-24-2010, 04:27 PM
I've believed all along that Caruso is Stronach's ace in the hole. Somehow, I think Frank expects some combination of Caruso/Arcadia/BC/Schwarzenegger to bail out this mess, primarily dates and surface. However, it seems to be being handled far too casually and sloppily so far.

Stronach isn't too good at keeping his word. Most people out here don't have any use for him anymore. They're all looking for ways to get rid on him in the future. The only people who are loyal to him are the ones he's paying big money to.

beertapper
06-24-2010, 05:07 PM
this silica sand track sounds like a load of crap... he wouldn't mention the company by name , but i bet he's tied into it somehow..

FenceBored
06-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Israel, a former sportswriter, countered with a real-world analogy:

"I don't see a racetrack as a 'store,' " the commissioner said. "To me. It's a public trust. There are very few of them. They're very expensive to build. And essentially it is its own geographically centralized sports league. You're the NFL, you're Major League Baseball, you're the NHL. The track is the league. The owners of the horses are the team owners. The trainers are the managers, and the jockeys are the players, and so are the horses. And all of our American sports leagues . . . they're not for profit -- the league itself isn't an entity trying to achieve profit."

What the ... ?

andymays
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
this silica sand track sounds like a load of crap... he wouldn't mention the company by name , but i bet he's tied into it somehow..

He's nuts.

andymays
06-24-2010, 05:15 PM
What the ... ?

Mostly everyone involved is nuts.

Bruddah
06-24-2010, 05:38 PM
The title of this thread is well intended but wrong. SoCal racing is not being saved by a lunatic. It's being held hostage by a lunatic. The end of Socal racing is not at the begining of the end, but the middle of its' end. Yeah you SoCal guys need to enjoy it while it lasts. Franke S. and his gang have ruined everything they've touched in Thoroughbred Racing. Frankie points to Gulf Stream as being successful, man that's dellusions of grandeur. Gulf Stream is a mere shadow/shell of what it once was prior to Frank and his crew.

andymays
06-24-2010, 05:46 PM
The title of this thread is well intended but wrong. SoCal racing is not being saved by a lunatic. It's being held hostage by a lunatic. The end of Socal racing is not at the begining of the end, but the middle of its' end. Yeah you SoCal guys need to enjoy it while it lasts. Franke S. and his gang have ruined everything they've touched in Thoroughbred Racing. Frankie points to Gulf Stream as being successful, man that's dellusions of grandeur. Gulf Stream is a mere shadow/shell of what it once was prior to Frank and his crew.

You're right but I think the author was being sarcastic.

rrbauer
06-24-2010, 06:18 PM
CHRB meeting not quite just business as usual

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114142.html

Excerpt:
"MEC didn't fail," Stronach shot back. "I underestimated the rules and regulations, the inflexibility of the bureaucrats and the commission to bring forward changes. It was the fault of outside forces, of authorities, regulatory authorities not stopping the flow of huge amounts of money [in offshore betting] to the islands. With the regulations, we are in chains."

Here, in one paragraph, are all of the reasons to never believe this guy, to never trust this guy, to never go to work for this guy and to ever believe that he has one iota of conscience and accountability. It represents the epitome of complete denial for the consequences of his actions and egocentric behavior.

andymays
06-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Here, in one paragraph, are all of the reasons to never believe this guy, to never trust this guy, to never go to work for this guy and to ever believe that he has one iota of conscience and accountability. It represents the epitome of complete denial for the consequences of his actions and egocentric behavior.

After following him in the media for the last couple of years and listening to him at the meeting I really believe he uses his broken english and his accent to confuse people and he plays it to the hilt. Several times during the meeting they would get mad at him and then he would act like he didn't understand and then they would give him a half apology and then he would continue his B.S. This happened over and over again during the meeting.

He is nuts but he knows how to use what he's got.

By the way is the Oak Tree deal in stone? Was it a verbal agreement? With Del Mar and Oak Tree seeming like they have a deal after this year I would think Frank would be a little pissed because he wanted those dates and the Breeders' Cup. Don't be surprised if Frank changes the deal he made. ;) It's there in his PP's for all to see. ;)

Bruddah
06-24-2010, 06:54 PM
All I can say is, I hope Frankie S. and his henchman all pound Euro Sand up their collective A$$es and build sand castles in the sky. O.K. that may be a little strong. So, let them make sand pooh pooh.

andymays
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
All I can say is, I hope Frankie S. and his henchman all pound Euro Sand up their collective A$$es and build sand castles in the sky. O.K. that may be a little strong. So, let them make sand pooh pooh.

At this point I think you're in the overwhelming majority.

Indulto
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Here, in one paragraph, are all of the reasons to never believe this guy, to never trust this guy, to never go to work for this guy and to ever believe that he has one iota of conscience and accountability. It represents the epitome of complete denial for the consequences of his actions and egocentric behaviorAfter following him in the media for the last couple of years and listening to him at the meeting I really believe he uses his broken english and his accent to confuse people and he plays it to the hilt. Several times during the meeting they would get mad at him and then he would act like he didn't understand and then they would give him a half apology and then he would continue his B.S. This happened over and over again during the meeting.

He is nuts but he knows how to use what he's got.

By the way is the Oak Tree deal in stone? Was it a verbal agreement? With Del Mar and Oak Tree seeming like they have a deal after this year I would think Frank would be a little pissed because he wanted those dates and the Breeders' Cup. Don't be surprised if Frank changes the deal he made. ;) It's there in his PP's for all to see. ;)AM,
Horseplayers should not only take offense at being left out of the proceedings, but also take the offensive against these ostrich-like racing officials and executives in California; and send the birdbrains from the broadcast the way of the Dodo bird.

We should seize the opportunity presented by that overwhelming display of intransigence, incompetence, and insanity to put ourselves in a position to influence the game in a positive way. We know what kind of racing product we want and it’s clear that NOBODY in CA wants to provide it to us. If MID gets the horsemen to knuckle under, what do you think their attitude toward the players is going to be?

It’s time to stop wagering on CA tracks and call for an end to the horsemen’s domination of the CHRB and the cronyism of political appointments.. Brackpool came across as just a master of ceremonies/circus ringleader who is all style and no substance. Isreal, Moss, and Choper seem to have some grasp of specifics, but Harris and Derek aren’t contributing anything concrete. If Israel wants to talk about a "public trust," he'd better start talking about ensuring equal effective takeout for everyone in each pari-mutuel pool.

Maybe a new group led by CA horseplayers needs to be formed that isn’t constrained by HANA’s policy of avoiding confrontation? The ostrich with the Austrian accent wants to “sit down and talk,” but Oak Tree has already experienced “Anschluss” and it wasn’t pretty

andymays
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
AM,
Horseplayers should not only take offense at being left out of the proceedings, but also take the offensive against these ostrich-like racing officials and executives in California; and send the birdbrains from the broadcast the way of the Dodo bird.

We should seize the opportunity presented by that overwhelming display of intransigence, incompetence, and insanity to put ourselves in a position to influence the game in a positive way. We know what kind of racing product we want and it’s clear that NOBODY in CA wants to provide it to us. If MID gets the horsemen to knuckle under, what do you think their attitude toward the players is going to be?

It’s time to stop wagering on CA tracks and call for an end to the horsemen’s domination of the CHRB and the cronyism of political appointments.. Brackpool came across as just a master of ceremonies/circus ringleader who is all style and no substance. Isreal, Moss, and Choper seem to have some grasp of specifics, but Harris and Derek aren’t contributing anything concrete. If Israel wants to talk about a "public trust," he'd better start talking about ensuring equal effective takeout for everyone in each pari-mutuel pool.

Maybe a new group led by CA horseplayers needs to be formed that isn’t constrained by HANA’s policy of avoiding confrontation? The ostrich with the Austrian accent wants to “sit down and talk,” but Oak Tree has already experienced “Anschluss” and it wasn’t pretty

I agree with most of what you write. The meeting was a disgrace and I hope some eyes were opened as to what kind of people are running things. This group has a few good guys but overall they're dysfunctional bunch in a beauracracy that is being extorted by Stronach.

I honestly don't have a high opinion of the CHRB but when it comes to taking sides in this sickening drama I'd have to go with the CHRB over Stronach. What kills me is that all Stronach had to do was announce that he was putting in a dirt surface ASAP and a majority of people would have supported him even though he's nuts. Instead he finds a way to piss off just about everyone and he may have lost the Oak Tree dates for good if Del Mar has anything to do with it. Not too smart although I think he may go back on his verbal agreement next week or do something to cause Oak Tree to withdraw from it.

The CHRB has always stacked the deck against Horseplayers. They make deals before the meetings and when people with good intentions like rwwupl go up to the meeting on their own dime they are disrespected in spades. The most recent examples are the Los Alamitos takeout deal and the deal where rwwupl asked to have P3's treated the same as P4's when it came to scratches. Both meeting were fixed and both outcomes were decided by the Board before the meeting.

When people get mad at me for advocating a much more aggressive approach to getting things done on behalf of Horseplayers I find it hard to believe. But then again I guess they don't know how things work in California. There is no excuse now that the archived audio is available for all to hear.

It is true that we don't have the monetary resources to do certain things but we do have numbers and we do have email and telephones. I am convinced that things can change but not without a different approach to the CHRB and the Tracks.

andymays
06-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Stronach looking out for himself
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_15373557

Excerpt:

CHRB commissioner Bo Derek blamed Stronach for California losing the Breeders' Cup to Churchill Downs in 2011 during Tuesday's board meeting at Hollywood Park, and she's right. If Santa Anita's parent company, MI Developments, had not voided Oak Tree's lease in May there's a good chance Oak Tree would have hosted its sixth Breeders' Cup next year.

Robbins doesn't disagree.

"The reason (Santa Anita) doesn't have the Breeders' Cup is because the Breeders' Cup people don't want Stronach around, and I don't think he's come to that full realization yet," Robbins said. "As soon as they found out that Oak Tree wasn't going to be doing the thing they dodged and ducked. All of them.

"That's why the president at Santa Anita (Ron Charles) quit, when he heard (Stronach) was definitely going to get rid of us. (Charles) is a class act, that guy. He's a good guy."

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_15373557#ixzz0rrjLAOg1

Fager Fan
06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Stronach looking out for himself
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_15373557

Excerpt:

CHRB commissioner Bo Derek blamed Stronach for California losing the Breeders' Cup to Churchill Downs in 2011 during Tuesday's board meeting at Hollywood Park, and she's right. If Santa Anita's parent company, MI Developments, had not voided Oak Tree's lease in May there's a good chance Oak Tree would have hosted its sixth Breeders' Cup next year.

Robbins doesn't disagree.

"The reason (Santa Anita) doesn't have the Breeders' Cup is because the Breeders' Cup people don't want Stronach around, and I don't think he's come to that full realization yet," Robbins said. "As soon as they found out that Oak Tree wasn't going to be doing the thing they dodged and ducked. All of them.

"That's why the president at Santa Anita (Ron Charles) quit, when he heard (Stronach) was definitely going to get rid of us. (Charles) is a class act, that guy. He's a good guy."

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/sports/ci_15373557#ixzz0rrjLAOg1

And kudos to Frank for making the BC deal not happen. CA may whine about not getting the BC, even though they make no money off the event, but the rest of the country is glad that someone stopped the BC from making yet another bad decision.

andymays
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
And kudos to Frank for making the BC deal not happen. CA may whine about not getting the BC, even though they make no money off the event, but the rest of the country is glad that someone stopped the BC from making yet another bad decision.

The local economy does pretty well for the week.

andymays
06-26-2010, 09:40 AM
All California Really needs is a ‘sit down’ and a few miracles

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/25/all-california-really-needs-is-a-sit-down-and-a/

Excerpt:

And the fate of thoroughbred racing in California is, like it or not, for better or worse, inextricably entwined with that of MID and Stronach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kenwoodall2
06-26-2010, 02:16 PM
All California Really needs is a ‘sit down’ and a few miracles

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/25/all-california-really-needs-is-a-sit-down-and-a/

Excerpt:

And the fate of thoroughbred racing in California is, like it or not, for better or worse, inextricably entwined with that of MID and Stronach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reading "The history of Throughbred Racing in California", by Wallace Frank, what has saved California racing in the past is credibility- of the major players, the rules enforcement, keeping bad elements out, making sure everything is above board and in the open. Neither CHRB with its coverup of the Woods, quiting, the giving priority to Quarterhorse racing, infighting, keying of cars, being afraid of the trainers, refusing to ban cancel delays, too light punishments, is making many situations worse.
Stronach, with his obvious profit manuevering and attempting to take control from the board, is making Ca racing look terrible.
The wrong "horsemen" are horseing around instead of running things smoothy and forcefully. Ca racing is one big guessing game at the top. No need to talk about Natl control if the state is not in control of much.